Severe Psoriasis - Any Advice?

Vinny

Walter Kempner diet treated and healed psoriasis too.

Davey

Psoriasis is caused by inflammation.

The specific causes are:
- endotoxins (low bile flow and enzymes production)
- b-vitamin deficiency (real deficiency and/or functional deficiency caused by antinutrients)
- dental infections

Lecithin, b-complex, bile acids (ox bile or dehydrocholic acid or artichoke leaf extract) are the basic supplements.

Antimicrobials like oregano oil may greatly help as often there is a hidden (focal) infections causing inflammatory reactions!

That's why you have to have no dental infections especially heavy dental caries and infected dead teeth because antimirobials can not easily reach that areas as there is not good blood flow.

Daily sauna helps in many people immediately as it does the work that kidneys in psoriatics may not do effectively. You can improve the detoxification by drinking more water but make sure your kidneys are not severely compromised as you might make more harm than good.

A lot of water soluble toxins and antinutrients are normally excreted by kidneys! If there is some issue with kidneys or inflammation induced lymph stagnation a lot of water soluble toxins and antinutrients stay in the body and interfere with its normal biological processes.

This may directly lead to psoriasis.

Hi,

I found this thread through an internet search. A colleague suggested Ray Peat's anti-inflammatory diet may help with my psoriasis. Your post resonated with me, as it corroborates a lot of what I have read about psoriasis over the last week.

I'm ashamed to admit I have alcohol problems, and have only just stopped drinking as a result of poor liver function. I don't like conventional psoriasis medicines, and want to take a holistic approach to (hopefully) restoring my health.

Alcoholism has likely made me vitamin B deficient, and I imagine my body is not excreting toxins effectively, either. You sound like someone far more knowledgeable than myself, so I was wondering if you have any other recommendations?! I'm overwhelmed by all the things I'm reading, as I desperately try to compensate for twenty years of alcohol abuse. I think the psoriasis is a manifestation of something more serious, which is worrying me. Though, obviously my liver is showing signs of having been damaged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zpol

My mom experienced relief by dropping a folate supplement. Could also relate to riboflavin deficiency.
Wow really!?! Today I woke up with a patch of scalp psoriasis. Two weeks ago I started taking 400 mcg of folinic acid (from calcium folinate) to lower my elevated homocysteine... maybe the folate is causing my psoriasis as well. I can't figure out what else it could be. I've already eliminated all starches and allergenic foods from my diet and gut-wise I've been feeling better than I have in years; then out of the blue, psoriasis.

There is no single b-vitamin deficiency which would cause psoriasis. Or at least I don't know which one would it be.

I experienced clearing up with folate, b-2 and B1 taken one at a time.

The point is that psoriasis is not a skin disease rather than autonomic nervous system dysfunction. It was proved many times in different studies.

B-vitamins play a huge role in ATP production. Which type of cells in the body are the most sensitive to disruption of energy in form of ATP?

Neurons!

I take small amounts of Energin throughout the day, it does not contain any types of B9 or B12 so I take them separately. What type of folate do you take that helped with your psoriasis?

@JohnP The link to a single b vitamin could be "MTFHR" and undermethylation. I learned from a recent Chris Masterjohn video that most undermethylation issues are actually related to riboflavin deficiency, and even low level supplementation can take care of it.

In quickly Googleing psoriasis and MTHFR there do seem to be links. I have seen other accounts where folate and multiple B vitamins helped, but in my mom's case the folate was given because she is an "undermethylator". The rash around her joints went away when she stopped taking it. Now I believe she is experiencing more relief with low dose riboflavin... will have to monitor and follow up to be sure.

Have you followed up with her? Is she still clear after stopping the folate? Did she switch to a different type of B9 like 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. 5 mthf is apparently better for people who have 'undermethylation'.

Literally

@Zpol I talked to my mother but it sounds like she has too much going on to give you precise answer. She said she took some kind of ox bile that made the rash go away completely, and currently taking a Designs for Health (?) multivitamin with some riboflavin until it runs out.

Zpol

@Zpol I talked to my mother but it sounds like she has too much going on to give you precise answer. She said she took some kind of ox bile that made the rash go away completely, and currently taking a Designs for Health (?) multivitamin with some riboflavin until it runs out.

Thanks for the reply! Glad she's free from the rash, that's great news! As I researched more I found it is relatively common for people with the MTHFR snp plus psoriasis to have a flare up when taking supplemental B9. But only people that have the associated high homocysteine from my understanding (after all the SNP isn't really the problem, it's whether or not there's a deficiency or excess of something as a result).
Interestingly, one study that I found indicated that the flare up only happened at a moderate dosage of B9 and if they adjusted the dose to on the high side the psoriasis went away. For me, I will err on the side of caution and skip the B9 entirely and just work on improving digestion (including bile flow) and improving methylation in other ways.

Motif

Psoriasis is caused by inflammation.

The specific causes are:
- endotoxins (low bile flow and enzymes production)
- b-vitamin deficiency (real deficiency and/or functional deficiency caused by antinutrients)
- dental infections

Lecithin, b-complex, bile acids (ox bile or dehydrocholic acid or artichoke leaf extract) are the basic supplements.

Antimicrobials like oregano oil may greatly help as often there is a hidden (focal) infections causing inflammatory reactions!

That's why you have to have no dental infections especially heavy dental caries and infected dead teeth because antimirobials can not easily reach that areas as there is not good blood flow.

Daily sauna helps in many people immediately as it does the work that kidneys in psoriatics may not do effectively. You can improve the detoxification by drinking more water but make sure your kidneys are not severely compromised as you might make more harm than good.

A lot of water soluble toxins and antinutrients are normally excreted by kidneys! If there is some issue with kidneys or inflammation induced lymph stagnation a lot of water soluble toxins and antinutrients stay in the body and interfere with its normal biological processes.

This may directly lead to psoriasis.

What would you recommend for kidney and liver health ?

I only got one kidney and i got Gilbert syndrome + eczema / dermatitis.

rei

Hi,

I found this thread through an internet search. A colleague suggested Ray Peat's anti-inflammatory diet may help with my psoriasis. Your post resonated with me, as it corroborates a lot of what I have read about psoriasis over the last week.

I'm ashamed to admit I have alcohol problems, and have only just stopped drinking as a result of poor liver function. I don't like conventional psoriasis medicines, and want to take a holistic approach to (hopefully) restoring my health.

Alcoholism has likely made me vitamin B deficient, and I imagine my body is not excreting toxins effectively, either. You sound like someone far more knowledgeable than myself, so I was wondering if you have any other recommendations?! I'm overwhelmed by all the things I'm reading, as I desperately try to compensate for twenty years of alcohol abuse. I think the psoriasis is a manifestation of something more serious, which is worrying me. Though, obviously my liver is showing signs of having been damaged.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Fasting is probably the most restorative and recalibrative thing you can do, with coffee to increase cell recycling and a bit of salt, good fat and taurine added to the cup to heal the liver. It also specifically targets beer belly/visceral fat which is common with drinkers. Through this it increases insulin sensitivity and cures metabolic syndrome. Once the health has stabilized, then a raypeat antiinflammatory diet is the optimal path forward.

Davey

Fasting is probably the most restorative and recalibrative thing you can do, with coffee to increase cell recycling and a bit of salt, good fat and taurine added to the cup to heal the liver. It also specifically targets beer belly/visceral fat which is common with drinkers. Through this it increases insulin sensitivity and cures metabolic syndrome. Once the health has stabilized, then a raypeat antiinflammatory diet is the optimal path forward.

Thanks, pal. I work full time, so fasting is difficult. I am going to try eating one meal a day instead.

Longtime psoriasis battler here. Going to attempt to megadose bee pollen and non-fortified nutritional yeast every 1.5 hours or so to see what happens. 1tsp of each and adequate salt + water in between.

Bee pollen and nutritional yeast are supposed to have a great assortment of B-vitamins. Simple idea, will update soon.

Update: took 6~ teaspoons of bee pollen and nutritional yeast each between 11:30A and 4:15P. Felt a bit nauseated and completely lost any desire to ingest either of those substances after 5P.

Seems to have quelled some inflammation, bringing red shades down to a pink resembling a sunburn. Nothing too drastic in all honesty, but it did indeed contribute to an overall recovery of afflicted areas.

What might be more relevant is that today was the first day that I consumed ~4 cups of coffee and didn't experience any feelings of fatigue or nausea during their consumption. I'm under the impression that these whole-food sources of B-vitamins go a long way towards enabling a greater sugar and caffeine tolerance/metabolism. In fact, I felt mildly sedated as I finished the last of it... But distinctly not drained, jittery, or otherwise ill.

P.S. each 2-cup coffee concoction also included 50g maple syrup, 10g great lakes green can collagen, and around 20-30g of butter.

Paul Yamauchi, MD, PhD, clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, said the researchers may have made an important discovery. “Even though psoriasis was not tested,” he said, “the same immune pathways that trigger psoriasis were stimulated by the high-salt diet.”

The high-salt diet the mice were fed stimulated a type of white blood cells — T-cells called Th17 cells. “It has been clearly shown that Th17 cells trigger psoriasis,” Dr. Yamauchi said. That’s why some of the drugs that have been developed to treat psoriasis, such as the biologic Stelara (ustekinumab), target the pathways driven by Th17 cells. Yamauchi noted that new biologics are in the pipeline for psoriasis that also target the Th17 pathway.

Even though the Nature study was conducted with mice, Yamauchi believes the findings were significant enough to recommend to his psoriasis patients that they lower their salt intake. “And for people with a family history of psoriasis, I will tell them also to reduce their salt intake to prevent occurrence of psoriasis,” he said.