Fasting Insulin Levels - Comment Your Result

Markus

I am incredibly jealous! What sort of diet/lifestyle do you follow?

I'm eating a mainly starch-based whole-foods diet with some nutrient dense animal foods as needed. In addition, I add some C8 MCT-oil for extra energy. My macronutrient split is roughly 50:35:15 carbs, fat and protein.

With regards to lifestyle, I'm generally active throughout the day but currently don't do any strenuous exercise. However, I intend to start doing some basic strength training in the upcoming months.

I had it measured twice.

- July 2017, on TRT: mixed diet close to 40% carbs 30% fats 30% proteins, "flexible" "IIFYM" (too much industrial trash). Insulin 6.3 mIU/L, HbA1c 6.2%, glucose 5.5 mmol/L. HOMA-IR = 1.54

- October 2018, Clomid only: 65% carbs 20% proteins 15% fats, LOTS of whole food plants and some high quality animal foods, though I'll bring the latter up because I'm muscular and low protein means ice cold hands. Also more sugar less starch. The night before the bloods I had a boatload of potatoes and veggies. Anyways Insulin 7 mIU/L, HbA1c 5.4%, glucose 5.5 mmol/L. HOMA-IR = 1.71

I recommend getting the 3 of them checked at the same time, because if not, how do you guesstimate the HOMA-IR score and sugar metabolism over the last 90 days?
Note that there isn't a consensus on the HOMA-IR score:

Insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) cut-off values and the metabolic syndrome in a general adult population: effect of gender and age: EPIRCE cross-sectional study

As close to 1 as possible is sweet imo (that French study being fine with a 3.8 score is absolutely insane though, I guess they love their baguettes and butter to death over there)

Not concerned at all. I was having loads of starch and ate a lot the night before the bloods, we’re talking 3 large potatoes and other tubers at 9-10pm... not smart. Plus I’m back to high fruit now. This in and of itself is going to keep insulin right back below 6 imo since fructose triggers insulin much less than pure glucose.

<6 is optimal by the way, or rather 4-5 - that’s what Peter Attia also says. So 7 is okay.

Keep in mind most studies have “healthy” subjects with double digits numbers. Look at the HOMA-IR cutoffs, some of them are so high by my standards; I wouldn’t go neurotic.

(edit, Peter not Dave)

Last edited:
OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Not concerned at all. I was having loads of starch and ate a lot the night before the bloods, we’re talking 3 large potatoes and other tubers at 9-10pm... not smart. Plus I’m back to high fruit now. This in and of itself is going to keep insulin right back below 6 imo since fructose triggers insulin much less than pure glucose.

<6 is optimal by the way, or rather 4-5 - that’s what Dave Attia also says. So 7 is okay.

Keep in mind most studies have “healthy” subjects with double digits numbers. Look at the HOMA-IR cutoffs, some of them are so high by my standards; I wouldn’t go neurotic.

Haha! That's a decent serving of potatoes so late!

Fruit indeed is better than starch.

I am floating at 5, but I want it down to 3-4. My fasting sugar levels are often around 4.4-4.5.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
yep. Look up "HOMA-IR"

22.5 is considered the absolute standard reference

https://www.researchgate.net/post/I...easure_of_insulin_resistance_in_animal_models

edit: a score of 31 is the lowest quartile in the US apparently

Insulin Resistance Predicts Mortality in Nondiabetic Individuals in the U.S.
According to that, they say:
HOMA-IR is calculated as fasting plasma insulin (in milliunits per milliliter) × fasting plasma glucose (in millimoles per liter)/22.5

Divided by 22.5!?

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Friend of mine got this fasting insulin result:
Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.02.06 pm.png