Sexual Experiences With Cyproheptadine?

OP
G

Gametime

Cypro without a doubt has positive effects on my libido. It is used to treat post-SSRI sexual dysfunction.

"Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine with antiserotonergic properties that has been reported for over a decade to reverse antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction. Only case reports and case series attest to its efficacy.[13,42,43,44] Effective doses range from 2mg to 16mg. In the most recent and largest case series, 12 of 25 patients described improvement in sexual function when treated with cyproheptadine (mean dose, 8.6mg).[13] Anorgasmia is the sexual side effect most often reported to be alleviated by cyproheptadine. Cyproheptadine is effective when taken either on an as-needed basis (typically, 1 to 2 hours before intercourse) or on a regular basis."
Medscape: Medscape Access
That is awesome dude!!

OP
G

Gametime

Cypro without a doubt has positive effects on my libido. It is used to treat post-SSRI sexual dysfunction.

"Cyproheptadine is an antihistamine with antiserotonergic properties that has been reported for over a decade to reverse antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction. Only case reports and case series attest to its efficacy.[13,42,43,44] Effective doses range from 2mg to 16mg. In the most recent and largest case series, 12 of 25 patients described improvement in sexual function when treated with cyproheptadine (mean dose, 8.6mg).[13] Anorgasmia is the sexual side effect most often reported to be alleviated by cyproheptadine. Cyproheptadine is effective when taken either on an as-needed basis (typically, 1 to 2 hours before intercourse) or on a regular basis."
Medscape: Medscape Access
Would the effect stay with after stopping taking cyproheptadine?

Steve123

@haidut the effect would never be permanent with the lowering of growth hormone though right? And as i've only been getting 1-5 hours sleep for the last 6 months, do you think i'd be better off at least getting sleep from the Cypro? I should imagine my lack of sleep is not doing much for my growth ...

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut the effect would never be permanent with the lowering of growth hormone though right? And as i've only been getting 1-5 hours sleep for the last 6 months, do you think i'd be better off at least getting sleep from the Cypro? I should imagine my lack of sleep is not doing much for my growth ...

Never seen anything indicating cyproheptadine causing a permanent effects on hormones. Please ask these questions as a general question to everybody. No need to tag just me because then it is the same (legally) as asking over a PM.

Steve123

Never seen anything indicating cyproheptadine causing a permanent effects on hormones. Please ask these questions as a general question to everybody. No need to tag just me because then it is the same (legally) as asking over a PM.
Haha sorry Haidut ! Bit dull of me

Steve123

Im now aware that cypro can lower growth hormone but I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue with short ish term tightvguysd? What maximum dose and time using would you all say to avoid provlemS?

And wouldn't the sleep I get from cypro outweigh the negatives and am probably doing my self worse by sleeping only 1-4 hours every night?

Cyproheptadine and mirtazapine certainly can have its uses, I find. For example, bad insomnia where you just need a reset. Dosage and time of day have major impacts on side effects. Side effects can even change over time - it wouldn't be surprising to feel less side effects from 30mg after a build up than 0.5mg the first time. Side effects, positive or negative: sleepiness, mood, libido, productivity at work...

Tianeptine, metergoline, lisuride, etc can also have major impact on sleep and their side effects differ greatly. People more commonly turn to cyproheptadine and mirtazapine because of the quick knock out effects, but it doesn't mean they are the best tools for all cases of insomnia.

Doctors more commonly prescribe mirtazapine, diazepam, zopiclone, trazodone, etc for insomnia often because of this knock out effect. However studies show that they can different effects on deep sleep phases. I would not want to take a drug which has a negative effect on sleep repair...
Read several places that it may lower hgh significantly and delay rem sleep

Does anyone else have any input on its effect on testosterone levels? How about water retention, is that a thing with Cyproheptadine?

I think antihistamines increase water retention.
Do you know why antihistamines may cause water retention? Could it be cortisol related ,I believe I read many allergy meds increase cortisol such as “nasacort”. Cyproheptadine is well known for lowering cortisol though.

brix

Any idea why this completely kills libido? Feel good on it otherwise. It takes 2 days for libido to return.

Frankdee20

Any idea why this completely kills libido? Feel good on it otherwise. It takes 2 days for libido to return.

Doesn’t it block some dopamine receptors too ? I’ve never taken it though.

brix

Yeah it does but I’ve taken lisuride with it and that didn’t help either. It also causes some negative moods for me. Bummer.

Arnold Grape

Yeah it does but I’ve taken lisuride with it and that didn’t help either. It also causes some negative moods for me. Bummer.
Same. After multiple experiences with Cypro, it seems like Unisom was better in my case. The former always made me feel off when taken many days in a row.

Mauritio

Yes, to help. I forgot which receptors are implicated.
I remember someone on the forum PE is helped by dopamin-agonists. I can attest at least a little to that trying some dopamin-agonists. I even read a thread on reddit i believe about people that reported delayed ejaculation on Modafinil.

nwo2012

Read several places that it may lower hgh significantly and delay rem sleep
And lowering hgh is bad how exactly? Its a stress hormone. The studies in lower stature children show an increase in height from cypro use, nit a decrease. They conclude its from the increased appetite but i think hgh is a very misunderstood hormone.

TeaRex14

Keep in mind folks cypro is technically a 1st generational pharmaceutical drug, it isn't a "supplement" by the traditional definition. It's also RXed here in America, so technically you still need a prescription to get it. Of course like with raw milk, we know there's legal loop holes we can jump through to get it. Cypro has some great benefits for lowering serotonin, prolactin, cortisol, aldosterone, and probably estrogen as well. A typical dose should be anywhere between 0.5-2mgs, but no higher than 4mgs consistently. I think there's been a few people to report positive benefits from dosing it in very high amounts relative to the 4mg dose, but nevertheless most people should probably only take a small dose and take it infrequently, not on a daily basis. It does have a list of rather long side effects.

pepsi

I have a sit down job, after I started taking cypro, I would have edema on my ankles by the end of the work day. I couldnt figure out why at first and was really worried I was developing some kind of heart condition. I stopped cypro and the ankle edema went away, thank goodness. This only occurred during the week when I would sit most of the day, but no edema on the weekend when I was up and about moving all day. I am 100% sure it was the cypro and dont know why I didnt realize that sooner. Might just be a problem for some though, not sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals