Ray Peat On Iodine

Mauritio

I get you, it is a pain in the **** to take so many pills but I feel I have to, at least, let people know about this. Maybe check thyroid antibodies every 6months or a year. It is not a expensive test IIRC.
Yes, I will. Thanks for the tip :)

Dierlief87

[QUOTE = "burtlancast, post: 387163, member: 377"] Er zijn enkele getuigenissen op het web over de nuttige effecten van jodium op de kwaliteit van de slaap, met name van mensen die al lang lijden aan een vertraagd slaapfase-syndroom en die op wonderbaarlijke wijze terugkeren naar een normale slaapcyclus .

Jodium ontgift broom binnen een paar uur met een factor 20; en broom is bekend dat het zowel slaap- als dagactiviteiten verstoort.

Misschien verbetert het ook de productie van schildklierhormoon.

Het is een zeer complex onderwerp, maar ik ben er vrij zeker van dat de effecten op haliden centraal staan in het gunstige effect op de slaapkwaliteit. [/ QUOTE]

I also have iodine too short. what can I take to increase it?

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Thanks.
I've just searched her book for the word "narcoleps" and got nothing.
Did she mention it in her interviews?
burt,

I accidentally found the testimony I was talking about. It's on Lynn Farrow's website but it is not her. The text doesn't mention "narcolepsia" but you will see why in my mind I remembered it was narcolepsia. She was falling asleep even while driving a car.

Can iodine affect mental health? A psychotherapist describes how iodine pulled her out of a desperate depression.

Last edited:
OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Interesting quote from the previous linked page :
Turns out that if you have low thyroid Iodine can make a huge difference. Well, I
have been on synthetic thyroid and natural, also, but no change.
Iodine has
changed my life!! I told my doctors and got no response. I have told anyone who
will listen and many of my patients are now taking it with amazing results. Of all
people, my dentist listened to me and his whole extended family are taking it now.

burtlancast

burt,

I accidentally found the testimony I was talking about. It's on Lynn Farrow's website but it is not her. The text doesn't mention "narcolepsia" but you will see why in my mind I remembered it was narcolepsia. She was falling asleep even while driving a car.

Can iodine affect mental health? A psychotherapist describes how iodine pulled her out of a desperate depression.

Very interesting, thanks.

So now we know that in hypothyroid women suffering from excessive sleepiness due to seasonal depression (lack of sunlight) , iodine helps with brain fog while thyroid supplementation (natural or synthetic) does not.

Like others have pointed out before me here, i find baffling Peat toes the line claiming iodine is only needed for thyroid hormones, while we know the brain itself, breast, ovaries, prostate, etc... need it.

"Several extrathyroidal tissues also concentrate iodine via NIS found on their basement membranes. Most notably, the stomach mucosa, salivary glands, and the lactating mammary gland all have NIS that is identical to that found in the thyroid. Other tissues with high concentrations of iodine include the choroid plexus, ciliary body of the eye, lacrimal gland, thymus, skin, placenta, ovary, uterus, prostate, and pancreas.13 The role of concentrating iodine in lactating mammary tissue is clearly to provide necessary iodine to the developing child. The role of iodine in most other tissues is believed to include antioxidant, antiinflammatory, antiproliferative, antibacterial, proapoptotic, and prodifferentiating effects.14"

Iodine and Cancer

Very interesting, thanks.

So now we know that in hypothyroid women suffering from excessive sleepiness due to seasonal depression (lack of sunlight) , iodine helps with brain fog while thyroid supplementation (natural or synthetic) does not.

Like others have pointed out before me here, i find baffling Peat toes the line claiming iodine is only needed for thyroid hormones, while we know the brain itself, breast, ovaries, prostate, etc... need it.

"Several extrathyroidal tissues also concentrate iodine via NIS found on their basement membranes. Most notably, the stomach mucosa, salivary glands, and the lactating mammary gland all have NIS that is identical to that found in the thyroid. Other tissues with high concentrations of iodine include the choroid plexus, ciliary body of the eye, lacrimal gland, thymus, skin, placenta, ovary, uterus, prostate, and pancreas.13 The role of concentrating iodine in lactating mammary tissue is clearly to provide necessary iodine to the developing child. The role of iodine in most other tissues is believed to include antioxidant, antiinflammatory, antiproliferative, antibacterial, proapoptotic, and prodifferentiating effects.14"

Iodine and Cancer

I get better effects from iodine and selenium then from t3. I actually felt more lazy on t3. I am posting not to undermine the role of thyroid health at all. I simply think all parts of the endocrine system are of equal importance. Simply having healthy thyroid function does not fix everything. Having fluoride or bromide where iodine should be cannot be healthy, taking thyroid wouldn’t help with that all that much.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

Just do real Cranberry Juice, 2 glasses of Milk, Yogurt, Potatoes. That is like 300 mcg right there.

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

I get better effects from iodine and selenium then from t3. I actually felt more lazy on t3. I am posting not to undermine the role of thyroid health at all. I simply think all parts of the endocrine system are of equal importance. Simply having healthy thyroid function does not fix everything. Having fluoride or bromide where iodine should be cannot be healthy, taking thyroid wouldn’t help with that all that much.
I get better results from NDT than from iodine. I think it is absorved more gradually than iodine and that is very important for me.

However I don't like to depend on exogenous hormones for basic metabolism, that's why I prefer iodine.

Those having success with Iodine how are you using it?

I have come to find that 30mg every other day or so is plenty. I take it when I feel like it. I notice a lot from it if I take a long break. I think as long as I get around 300mg or so a month then I am set. I don’t notice a lot from larger doses. I have been taking iodine for many years though and for my first few months I know I started small and worked my way up. The first month or so of ever taking it I know had some extreme ups and downs, I did not know about the importance of selenium then. My feel after nearly 10 years of use is that it builds up a lot in the first year and then after that is not as noticeable.

I recently looked at a rat study where long term hed of ~50mg or more definitely supressed testosterone and decreased sperm quality. Looking at that study convinced me it is best not to take every day or to extreme levels.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

I get better effects when I apply topically or to the scrotum (while also taking companion nutrients).

As far as that scrotal application goes, do you notice better Libido or Testosterone ? Also, can one do this with the Potassium Iodide ?

Cirion

I recently looked at a rat study where long term hed of ~50mg or more definitely supressed testosterone and decreased sperm quality. Looking at that study convinced me it is best not to take every day or to extreme levels.

Was this 50mg rat dosage or converted to human dosage?

Last edited:

baccheion

As far as that scrotal application goes, do you notice better Libido or Testosterone ? Also, can one do this with the Potassium Iodide ?
I noticed something once, then it was just the general awakening effect. When I did it with potassium iodide, I got cold all over (some sort of shutdown?). It worked better when I applied hydrogen peroxide on toilet paper (something to further acidify the skin, increasing iodide conversion to iodine) beforehand. I applied after a meal to avoid hypoglycemia-like symptoms.

Hgreen56

Dr. Peat: “A dosage of 150 mcg (micrograms, not milligrams, e.g. ug not mg) is a safe amount of iodine. My current newsletter has some references describing the effect of even moderate iodine excess (even below a milligram per day) on the thyroid. An iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism (rare now), but so can an excess. Most goiters now are from estrogen-like effects, but they used to be from iodine deficiency. Chronic excess iodine tends to cause thyroiditis, regardless of the gland's size.
The amounts used by Abraham and Flechas are much larger than this – very toxic doses, enough to cause severe thyroid problems. “
How do you count your iodine intake in the first place.
SELF Nutrition Data | Food Facts, Information & Calorie Calculator ---or--- Cronometer: Track nutrition & count calories dont reported these.
Iodine is rarely reported for foods.

magnesiumania

My understanding from reading Nathan Hatch's book is that melatonin is actually not a beneficial hormone. Yes it helps you sleep, but it helps you sleep through the "stress" pathway (i.e., not restful sleep). What we want is high GABA - this is the "pro-metabolic", "restful" sleep indicating hormone. GABA seems difficult to get high in, which is probably why I never feel rested lol.

I'm sure it also doesn't help that I am probably still high in Bromine since I haven't been mega dosing Iodine very long yet.
Melatonin control mitochondrial DNA, apoptosis and atophagy. KINDA important.........

magnesiumania

One drop of atomic iodine 600mcg works wo dersom for me. Gets better every time. The thyroid require alt minerals tho. I dont believe in the Brownstein drug-like doser. It will create a relative deficiency in zinc manganese, copper etc..

cjm

Iodine and Cancer

"While speculative, it is possible that reverse T3 production serves as a means of allowing a cell to increase its intracellular pool of iodine without increasing its pool of active T3."