Some “Grass Fed Milk” Is Only 30% Grass Fed In US

LUH 3417

Know Your Farmer | Milkhouse Dairy Farm and Creamery | Real Organic Project

Interesting video about the 30% pasture law for labeling milk as grass fed in the US, and the way big companies like horizon and stonyfield are making it difficult for small dairy farms to thrive and survive.

From the website:
A Washington Post investigative report in 2017 asserted that Aurora, the large certified organic CAFO was not meeting the USDA Organic Pasture Rule requirements. In addition, Aurora milk tested nutritionally similar to conventional milk, lacking the omega-3’s and conjugated linoleic acids found in milk from organic pastured cows. Unlike many small dairies across the country, Caitlin and Andy have found a way to differentiate their milk from USDA organic and thrive amidst the industrial take-over of organic dairy.

K

Kratos

Funny because Stonyfield milk makes me feel sick but Horizon is okay.

milkboi

Similar story in Germany. Recently a lot of "Weide Milch" (grass-fed milk) was available here, but to me it was pretty obvious that its just the same low quality milk that has a trendy name. Our standards for gf milk are awfully low. I think in the EU they just have to have access to a pasture like once a year.... :confused:

TeaRex14

But the milk I buy says "grassfed" on it, it even has grass on the carton, so I know for a fact it's true, haha. Actually all that makes perfect sense, there's very loose regulations surrounding phrases like grassfed and pasture raised. Even certified organic means different things in different countries.

tankasnowgod

I have a friend who opened up a specialty butcher shop specializing in Grass Fed beef. He told me a few times, that ALL cows in the US start off as grass fed. The key, as he stated, was to look for cows that were either "Grass Fed and Finished" or "100% Grass Fed."

OP
LUH 3417

LUH 3417

I have a friend who opened up a specialty butcher shop specializing in Grass Fed beef. He told me a few times, that ALL cows in the US start off as grass fed. The key, as he stated, was to look for cows that were either "Grass Fed and Finished" or "100% Grass Fed."
I imagine 100% grass fed being best choice? I once read all lamb is grasss fed no matter what, as you can’t feed them anything else. Do you know if that’s true?

lvysaur

This is why I have never made decisions based only on designations like "grass fed" or even "organic". They are merely additional factors to consider.

I go by look/smell/taste/feel. My favorite milk right now is not grass fed and is actually UHT. Ripe conventional fruit is better than unripe organic swill.

tankasnowgod

I imagine 100% grass fed being best choice? I once read all lamb is grasss fed no matter what, as you can’t feed them anything else. Do you know if that’s true?

Not sure about Lamb, but that does sound familiar. As far as beef, I guess it depends a bit. My friend started off selling all grass fed, but I think now views both local and pasture raised as more important. He also told me all grass fed beef will grade out as "Select," as you just can't get Choice or Prime grade marbling without using grain. However, one of his suppliers had some cows that graded out as Prime once, and he sold it, so his vision also evolved. Healthwise, I still think Grass Fed is held up as the best, but there is certainly some debate there. It's often tougher and a bit more "gamey," too.

DrJ

I recently switched to raw milk and the difference is incredible. I don't know what it's fed, but I've tried several different farms and there is a wide variety of flavor compared to pasteurized. Also, texture is much better as it's not homogenized. My favorite farm's milk tastes something like less sweet ice cream. Awesome.

Fractality

Well, hopefully I haven't been wasting my money on "100% grass fed" beef from Sprout's...

johnsmith

I recently switched to raw milk and the difference is incredible. I don't know what it's fed, but I've tried several different farms and there is a wide variety of flavor compared to pasteurized. Also, texture is much better as it's not homogenized. My favorite farm's milk tastes something like less sweet ice cream. Awesome.
Since it’s so high fat, how much of it do you drink in a day?

Back
Top Bottom