Vitamin A Suggestions And My Current State Of Thyroid

Sumbody

Looking for suggestions on a suitable high dose Vitamin A supplement.

I have currently been taking 50,000 IU Vitamin Dry A from the brand Solaray, it is a mix of 40% Retinyl Palmitate and 60% Beta Carotene with 230 mg Carrot Powder. Is this an ideal source or should I aim for something exclusively Retinyl?

In December my TSH shot up to about 17, from about 7 in roughly two months time. My free T4 was 0.7 in early December.

Since then I have done more to try and fix things, most importantly following the topics on these forums, utilizing the advice and trying to consume specific foods. Not full-on Peat yet, but doing my best to consume more Peat specific foods, etc.

I have current test results, which unfortunately as I write this have also learned that my results show a positive for Thyroid Antibodies, which was never tested before.

I have been feeling pretty good lately, and not sure what to attribute things to, but my tests do show improvements, however, I'm not sure if these are short-lived as if I understand correctly the TPO AB can really throw stuff around?

So I have been consuming the Vitamin A supplements daily, as I started to have some weird ***t going on with my eyes that would have indicated a deficiency that cleared up in a week after starting the Vitamin A. I do however worry about toxicity and such, so not sure how long to take that at the 50,000UI/day.

Another thing I started doing was consuming more milk with gelatin powder. I take 2 tablespoons twice a day morning and night and have never slept better, and overall balanced mood, less anxiety, etc. The first day I consumed gelatin I felt incredible!

Also a glass of orange juice with 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt. I try to do this in the mornings. Although it's not an everyday thing.

Lately taking a B complex vitamin, EstroBan, Kuinone, a little 1000mg Vitamin C here and there. Also seem to really like Ginseng, which I take daily as well. Also every once in a while 10,000IU D3, although I am in the sun often.

Any advice/suggestions would be tremendously appreciated! I really wanna beat this.

TSH13.36 uIU/mL0.40 - 4.20 uIU/mL TESTED IN DECEMBER 17.x

T3, Total 107 ng/dL 50 - 170 ng/dL

Free T4 1.2 ng/dL 0.8 - 1.7 ng/dL TESTED IN DECEMBER 0.7

THYROPEROXIDASE ANTIBODY POSITIVE

I currently do not take any type of thyroid supplement as I had a screwed up reaction to it which I highlighted in this thread here,
Thyroid Kills My Libido, Causes Testicular Ache And Bye Bye Erections

Also wanted to add that for about a month or so, let's say Dec/Jan I took 12.5 mg of Iodoral daily. I felt really good while taking it, but stopped because I was unsure if it was the right thing to do not knowing current levels. I do realize Iodine can agitate Hashimotos, but historically it has also been used to treat it as well. According to things I found online, as well as the information packet that came with the Iodoral tablets.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Why do you think vitamin A supplements are necessary for thyroid health? Peat stated for hypothyroid people 5,000 a day is plenty, and the RDA is 2,000.

OP
S

Sumbody

I was listening to Dr. Peat (can't remember which one) and he said that often people who are hypothyroid need lots and lots of A, 50,000 units a day is what he said, because there is a protein that uses A and thyroid in the transport and manufacture of steroids.

I think that many men are missing this and may fix thyroid and find they have an A deficiency without realizing it.

I began to have vision issues at night, and vehicle headlights were extremely bright. This cleared up after the recommendation of the higher dose Vitamin A. As well as my thyroid tests have improved somewhat in the past couple months.

It seems that straight Retinyl would be better, as what I have been able to scour online is that in a hypo state the body is unable to convert the beta carotene to usable Vitamin A for the thyroid.

I just worry about overdoing it without testing levels as there seems to be a U shaped curve, whereas high doses have been used to treat an overactive thyroid as well.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I began to have vision issues at night, and vehicle headlights were extremely bright. This cleared up after the recommendation of the higher dose Vitamin A. As well as my thyroid tests have improved somewhat in the past couple months.
If you have thyroid antibodies your test did not improve by enough to justify using that amount. Also Riboflavin and ascorbic acid have also been used for dark adaptation.

If you have thyroid antibodies your test did not improve by enough to justify using that amount. Also Riboflavin and ascorbic acid have also been used for dark adaptation.

do you have a study on riboflavin and vitamin C? that? Thanks!

InChristAlone

do you have a study on riboflavin and vitamin C? that? Thanks!
"The validity of the dark adaptation test for showing mild degree of a deficiency of vitamin A is now generally acknowledged. Thus Harris and Abbasy') found that impaired dark adaptation was common in children whose diet was estimated to be low in vitamin A while it was rare in well nourished children. There are, however, many contradictory reports concerning the effect of vitamin A on the dark adaptation. Among the subjects who developed delayed dark adaptation, some were completely cured within a few hours after receiving the vitamin, whereas others, though showing some immediate improvement, failed to return to normal after having gone through many months on vitamin A supplementation.

The importance of vitamins other than vitamin A, for dark adaptation is uncertain, but the works of Harris et al.') and of Stewart4) suggest that ascorbic acid is important. This, however, is very definitely denied by Yudkin.5) Nicotinic acid, an essential ingredient of the visual purple cycle, has been reported by Hosoya et al.6) to be of clinical importance in dark adaptation. Following the administration of nicotinic acid to 3 subjects with poor dark adaptation they found that only one of them showed measurable improvement. A paper of Kimble and Gordon7) stressed as well the value of riboflavin. They observed that in a few patients who had both poor dark adaptation and a low blood vitamin A, large doses of vitamin A had no effect on either until riboflavin was given, when both became normal. But in some other individuals in whom riboflavin failed to produce this result, ascorbic acid caused satisfactory improvement. The divergent effect of the vitamins on the recovery of delayed dark adaptation stimulated the reexamination of them. The present study was designed to determine whether supplements of ascorbic acid, B vitamins and milk to the diet together or separately with vitamin A would have any advantages on the visual threshold of perception."
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/tjem1920/77/4/77_4_367/_pdf

Mito

The vitamin A spectrum: from deficiency to toxicity.
Russell RM1.
Author information

Abstract
Dark adaptation has been used as a tool for identifying patients with subclinical vitamin A deficiency. With this functional test it was shown that tissue vitamin A deficiency occurs over a wide range of serum vitamin A concentrations. However, serum vitamin A concentrations >1.4 micromol/L predict normal dark adaptation 95% of the time. Other causes of abnormal dark adaptation include zinc and protein deficiencies. Stable isotopes of vitamin A and isotope-dilution techniques were used recently to evaluate body stores of vitamin A and the efficacy of vitamin A intervention programs in field settings and are being used to determine the vitamin A equivalences of dietary carotenoids. Vitamin A toxicity was described in patients taking large doses of vitamin A and in patients with type I hyperlipidemias and alcoholic liver disease. Conversely, tissue retinoic acid deficiency was described in alcoholic rats as a result of hepatic vitamin A mobilization, impaired oxidation of retinaldehyde, and increased destruction of retinoic acid by P450 enzymes. Abnormal oxidation products of carotenoids can cause toxicity in animal models and may have caused the increased incidence of lung cancer seen in 2 epidemiologic studies of the effects of high-dose beta-carotene supplementation. Major issues that remain to be studied include the efficiency of conversion of carotenoids in whole foods to vitamin A by using a variety of foods in various field settings and whether intraluminal factors (eg, parasitism) and vitamin A status affect this conversion. In addition, the biological activity of carotenoid metabolites should be better understood, particularly their effects on retinoid signaling.

The vitamin A spectrum: from deficiency to toxicity. - PubMed - NCBI

Orion

I have currently been taking 50,000 IU Vitamin Dry A from the brand Solaray, it is a mix of 40% Retinyl Palmitate and 60% Beta Carotene with 230 mg Carrot Powder. Is this an ideal source or should I aim for something exclusively Retinyl?

I would download and read the Poisoning for Profits PDF, in this thread:

Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

Explains a different view on darkness adaption and auto-immune(thyroid, etc...). High dose vitamin A will make it worse in the long run.

Do your math 50000iu of this supplement means 30000iu of beta-carotene. This amount of b-carotene equals eating 400 grams of carrot daily. Lots of members of this community report bad reaction eating just about 100 grams of carrot salad. And b-carotene is not really bio-available in the carrot form. You are taking much more bio-available form. Best way to shut your thyroid down.
Everyone has to understand b-carotene is not Vit A. I believe in future the idea of retinol equivalent will be proven to be false.

PS And b-carotene metabolites are retinoid receptors antagonist.

Last edited:
Dr. Peat has also said that the same protein carries A or thyroid, so they compete with each other.

InChristAlone

Dr. Peat has also said that the same protein carries A or thyroid, so they compete with each other.
Where does he say this? That is very interesting, I thought retinol binding protein was the vitamin A carrier?

Orion

Where does he say this? That is very interesting, I thought retinol binding protein was the vitamin A carrier?

Transthyretin (TTR or TBPA) is a transport protein in the serum and cerebrospinal fluid that carries the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4) and retinol-binding protein bound to retinol. This is how transthyretin gained its name: transports thyroxine and retinol. The liver secretes transthyretin into the blood, and the choroid plexus secretes TTR into the cerebrospinal fluid.

Transthyretin - Wikipedia

Transthyretin (TTR or TBPA) is a transport protein in the serum and cerebrospinal fluid that carries the thyroid hormone thyroxine (T4) and retinol-binding protein bound to retinol. This is how transthyretin gained its name: transports thyroxine and retinol. The liver secretes transthyretin into the blood, and the choroid plexus secretes TTR into the cerebrospinal fluid.

thank you @Orion

InChristAlone

So then it would absolutely make sense that you wouldn't want too much retinol around taking up the transport proteins.

BigChad

Why do you think vitamin A supplements are necessary for thyroid health? Peat stated for hypothyroid people 5,000 a day is plenty, and the RDA is 2,000.

Rda is 3000iu or 900mcg currently right? I remember a few years back it was 1500mcg/5000 iu, with 400iu d3, now d3 is at 800iu rda.

BigChad

Looking for suggestions on a suitable high dose Vitamin A supplement.

In December my TSH shot up to about 17, from about 7 in roughly two months time. My free T4 was 0.7 in early December.

Since then I have done more to try and fix things, most importantly following the topics on these forums, utilizing the advice and trying to consume specific foods. Not full-on Peat yet, but doing my best to consume more Peat specific foods, etc.

I have current test results, which unfortunately as I write this have also learned that my results show a positive for Thyroid Antibodies, which was never tested before.

I have been feeling pretty good lately, and not sure what to attribute things to, but my tests do show improvements, however, I'm not sure if these are short-lived as if I understand correctly the TPO AB can really throw stuff around?

So I have been consuming the Vitamin A supplements daily, as I started to have some weird ***t going on with my eyes that would have indicated a deficiency that cleared up in a week after starting the Vitamin A. I do however worry about toxicity and such, so not sure how long to take that at the 50,000UI/day.

Another thing I started doing was consuming more milk with gelatin powder. I take 2 tablespoons twice a day morning and night and have never slept better, and overall balanced mood, less anxiety, etc. The first day I consumed gelatin I felt incredible!

Also a glass of orange juice with 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt. I try to do this in the mornings. Although it's not an everyday thing.

Lately taking a B complex vitamin, EstroBan, Kuinone, a little 1000mg Vitamin C here and there. Also seem to really like Ginseng, which I take daily as well. Also every once in a while 10,000IU D3, although I am in the sun often.

Any advice/suggestions would be tremendously appreciated! I really wanna beat this.

TSH13.36 uIU/mL0.40 - 4.20 uIU/mL TESTED IN DECEMBER 17.x

T3, Total 107 ng/dL 50 - 170 ng/dL

Free T4 1.2 ng/dL 0.8 - 1.7 ng/dL TESTED IN DECEMBER 0.7

THYROPEROXIDASE ANTIBODY POSITIVE

I currently do not take any type of thyroid supplement as I had a screwed up reaction to it which I highlighted in this thread here,
Thyroid Kills My Libido, Causes Testicular Ache And Bye Bye Erections

Also wanted to add that for about a month or so, let's say Dec/Jan I took 12.5 mg of Iodoral daily. I felt really good while taking it, but stopped because I was unsure if it was the right thing to do not knowing current levels. I do realize Iodine can agitate Hashimotos, but historically it has also been used to treat it as well. According to things I found online, as well as the information packet that came with the Iodoral tablets.

Peat has said the carotenes act like polyunsaturated fats. And as mentioned, no more than 5000iu vitamin a. You also need d3. The vitamin a dose you're taking could cause a lot of thyroid trouble