Seborrheic Dermatitis Upon Peating

brix

Hey charlie, can you give me more information on this? I have seb derm that's been worsened upon Peating, and it causes tons of hair fallout which is a pain.

How much vitamin A are you taking? Is the form it comes in important? Is the retinil acetate in Retinil better than other forms of retinol? Is it topical or transdermal? Do you apply directly to your face and scalp?

I've read that too much vitamin A can CAUSE seb derm, so do you have any explanation for this? If you answered these questions in another thread, I apologize.

interested in this as well...

Birdie

I think Ray says the preferred ratio for vit A/vit D is 5/1.
Is this our main Seborrheic Dermatitis thread on the forum? Oh, I see others listed under Similar threads below and will check those.

This is a great discussion, or was. Thanks.

Last edited:

Birdie

Today, I made up the niacinamide solution suggested further back. The, I put it on my scalp. It relieved the itching. Left it on for about 5 minutes.

Then, used Head and Shoulders shampoo that contains zinc as it’s active ingredient. I used it because of several good comments about topical zinc mentioned in the comments. In the past Head & Shoulders has made my hair stiff and dry. I don’t care about the dryness if the scalp clears.

My scalp feels good now. My hair isn’t dried out from this procedure. Good.

This morning I upped my vitamin A from 25,000 to 50,000. Also recommended in the comments here.

Also, got out some liver from the freezer. And I’m going to reduce starches, up protein and up fruit. Hoping to improve nutrients needed with my improved metabolism due to following Ray Peat’s advice for raising it.

Thank you to everyone who contributed here.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Today, I made up the niacinamide solution suggested further back. The, I put it on my scalp. It relieved the itching. Left it on for about 5 minutes.

Then, used Head and Shoulders shampoo that contains zinc as it’s active ingredient. I used it because of several good comments about topical zinc mentioned in the comments. In the past this has made my hair stiff and dry. I don’t care at this point.

My scalp feels good now. My hair isn’t dried out from this procedure. Good.

This morning I upped my vitamin A from 25,000 to 50,000. Also recommended in the comments here.

Also, got out some liver from the freezer. And I’m going to reduce starches, up protein and up fruit. Hoping to improve nutrients needed with my improved metabolism due to following Ray Peat’s advice for raising it.

Thank you to everyone who contributed here.
Chris Masterjohn says Seb is riboflavin deficiency. I wouldn't recommend vitamin A supplements for it. He recommends liver as it's a major source of riboflavin. Peat diets that contain a lot of milk could become B2 deficient. I was just discussing this on the Grant vitamin A toxicity thread. Seems Blossom cured B2 deficiency by going low A.

Birdie

You could be right. Further back, although, Charlie mentions that high dose vitamin A did it for him. He had tried a lot of things. And he may be doing something different by now. !

I think Peat says to up the vit A for sd but I’m not sure. He says liver, liver. Wow, so blossom cut back on A and it helped.
It’s so complex.

I’ve been using extra riboflavin for a week or so. Thanks for mentioning that.

If anybody else has this problem, I recommend reading this entire thread. I did that last night. Good info to help develop your plan of attack.

Birdie

@Janelle525 I'll just use liver and not up the vit A supplements.
We know Ray recommends a 5:1 ratio of vitamin D to vitamin A and that's what I'm doing there.

Starting the liver this morning. I'm going to search raypeat.com now.

Birdie

Reading this article, see a lot about riboflavin. As usual, many factors to consider.

This morning, mixed some niacinamide with water. Applied to face and to spots on the scalp.
Took extra progest-E. 4 drops. Wonder if that's enough. ? Maybe 2 more drops later in the day...

Rosacea, inflammation, and aging: The inefficiency of stress
Includes info pertaining to SD also.

Recoen

Seborrheic dermititis upon Peating

Vitamin B6.

edit: Come to find out it was vitamin A for me.
Do you avoid vit A? Do you have a recent thread where you discuss your current diet? If not will you share it? Do you still have issues with seb derm?

Birdie

In case anybody is checking back to see how I'm doing:

Mine is really improved. I bought a shower filter which helps. Otherwise, following Ray's advice as much as I can. (I am eating more starch than is advisable.) Taking niacin amide, high dose thiamine, B12 injections, protest-E, vit D and A 5:1 ratio. Just some of my probably too many supplements.

I try to use supplements with a few additives as possible, heeding the advice to avoid possible inflammation from those.

Have finally found a source of calves liver and plan to get back to the raw carrot. It's an entire program. Following Ray Peat can be simple, but then again, there is a lot to it.

Last edited:

Recoen

In case anybody is checking back to see how I'm doing:

Mine is really improved. I bought a shower filter which helps. Otherwise, following Ray's advice as much as I can. (I am eating more starch than is advisable.) Taking niacin amide, high dose thiamine, B12 injections, protest-E, fit D and A 5:1 ratio. Just some of my probably too many supplements.

I try to use supplements with a few additives as possible, heeding the advice to avoid possible inflammation from those.

Have finally found a source of calves liver and plan to get back to the raw carrot. It's an entire program. Following Ray Peat can be simple, but then again, there is a lot to it.
Thank you! So you needed more vit A and D for yours?

i think it has something to do with igf1 and control of sebum production. My acne improved by reducing carbs, and the dermatoses are related.

Birdie

Thank you! So you needed more vit A and D for yours?
No. I have used those for years. I meant to point out that I was still using them in a 5:1 ratio, and that my improvement was not due to lowering vitamin A. And that my latest flare was greatly improved by using a shower filter because the area I moved to has very hard water. Hard water caused my latest flare up of SD.

Motif

Hi! I've been Peating for about 7 months now. I am quite strict with my diet and supplement vit A, E, and Cynoplus+cynomel. I am having what I believe to be seborrheic dermititis for the first time in my life, recurring over the past 2 months. I have tried coconut oil and proget-e topically, with no benefit. I am unable to find a food connection with flare ups. I would love any additional suggestions!
Were you able to fix it meanwhile ? If so- how ?

GorillaHead

This thread needs to be revived. The fact high doses of b6 worked for charlie at some point and retinol worked means there is some sort of dependency interaction going on here

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals