Aspirin Blocks COX--why Not Block Arachidonic Acid At The Source?

lvysaur

Aspirin blocks Arachidonate from entering the COX cascade, which explains a lot of its effects. However, I (and I think some others on here) have noticed a form of aspirin withdrawal, which I attribute to a build up of AA rushing into the COX as the aspirin wears off, producing even more prostaglandins, eicosanoids, etc., than usual.

If instead we blocked the conversion of Linoleic acid to Arachidonic, perhaps it would have better effects? It seems like individual differences in desaturation activity are more prevalent than differences in COX activity.

The two main pathways for AA production are Phospholipase A2 and Phospholipase C.
Phospholipase C - Wikipedia
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acschemneuro.5b00073

"phytochemical based PLA2inhibitors including curcumin, Ginkgo biloba and Centella asiatica extracts". So we might be able to see some degree of sharing between the effects of aspirin and those of turmeric/ginkgo/gotu kola. I personally never took either of these three so I can't say.

Last edited:

Waynish

Aspirin blocks Arachidonate from entering the COX cascade, which explains a lot of its effects. However, I (and I think some others on here) have noticed a form of aspirin withdrawal, which I attribute to a build up of AA rushing into the COX as the aspirin wears off, producing even more prostaglandins, eicosanoids, etc., than usual.

If instead we blocked the conversion of Linoleic acid to Arachidonic, perhaps it would have better effects? It seems like individual differences in desaturation activity are more prevalent than differences in COX activity.

The two main pathways for AA production are Phospholipase A2 and Phospholipase C.
Phospholipase C - Wikipedia
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acschemneuro.5b00073

"phytochemical based PLA2inhibitors including curcumin, Ginkgo biloba and Centella asiatica extracts". So we might be able to see some degree of sharing between the effects of aspirin and those of turmeric/ginkgo/gotu kola. I personally never took either of these three so I can't say.

The experiential effects of those three are much different from aspirin - at least on me. Aspirins effects may be further down on the chain, but I don't think it's that simple; it's interactions are many and its physical effects distinct. I remember enjoying the cognitive effects of ginkgo, but it causing gut irritation - still looking forward to trying it again sometime.

MrSmart

Archanoidic acid isn't inflammatory of itself. And Aspirin does more than COX inhibition

Of all of the herbs mentioned, tried all 3, curcumin is the only one I noticed aspirin like effects from but it required me to take an unpractically high amount (yes with black pepper) and also took weeks to build up and feel effective.

Last edited:
@Ivysaur
Maybe copper can do this?

The effect of copper ion on arachidonic acid metabolism in the porcine corneal epithelium. - PubMed - NCBI

I have always noticed better pain relief from aspirin together with copper than either alone, which also partially converts to the sod mimetic copper actetylsalicylate. In fact I only need about 1/4 the fraction of aspirin to get relief if I take along with some copper.

Edit: looks like SOD may be plenty effective in this department:

Activation of Liver Mitochondrial Phospholipase A2 by Superoxide

http://www.cmcwtrl.in/publications/1-1997-Archives-of-Biochemistry-and-Biophysics.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom