My Total Cholesterol Reduced 100 Points Whit Thyroid!

Lucas

Hello. Just want to share that my Total Cholesterol reduced a lot whit increased doses of T4 and T3. I am taking 100 mcg of Synthroid combined whit one grain of desiccated thyroid, and these are my blood results:

TSH: 0,02 uIU/ml Ref: 0,35 – 4,94

Free T3: 0,36 ng/dl Ref: 0,20 – 0,44

Free T4: 1,09 ng/dl Ref: 0,70 – 1,48

My total cholesterol was gone from 290 to 195 mg/dl, so this dose is working at the cellular level.

The problem is I still have hair loss, fatigue and joint pain.

Should I increase the dose? The freeT4 looks a little low, the old reference from this laboratory on my Country was 0,9 to 1.8.

Thank you.

TeaRex14

Well the thyroid has likely allowed your cholesterol to convert into pregnenolone and bile acids, which are some of it's main functions. This is probably why you've seen the reduction. As to your lingering symptoms and whether or not you should increase the dose I don't really know. This stuff can get complex, it sounds like maybe you're still dealing with a few imbalances on the hormone level. Prolactin and cortisol maybe, but that's just a guess. Why are you on both T4 and NDT? NDT has both T4 and T3 in it, taking extra T4 is likely only going to cause your chances of rT3 to increase, especially if you're dealing with a cortisol issue. In fact many people find NDT, by itself, to have too much T4 in it and need something with a better ratio. Also, 290 to 195 is a huge jump, for total cholesterol. I would make sure I'm getting plenty of sugar, choline, vitamin A (retinol), and some saturated fat to keep that cholesterol and cholesterol conversion where it needs to be.

OP
L

Lucas

If I take only NDT, my freeT4 becomes deficient, below the reference range.

sweetpeat

many people find NDT, by itself, to have too much T4 in it
The opposite is also true: many people find NDT to have not enough t4 (or too much t3 in relation to t4).

@Lucas, you probably just need to experiment to see what helps you the most. Raising NDT will give you some of both. If it's winter where you are, this might be more helpful. You could try raising 1/4 grain for a few days and then re-evaluate.

For the symptoms you describe, I personally found t4 to be more helpful but everyone is different. I do seem to need more t3 in the winter though.

TeaRex14

The opposite is also true: many people find NDT to have not enough t4 (or too much t3 in relation to t4).

@Lucas, you probably just need to experiment to see what helps you the most. Raising NDT will give you some of both. If it's winter where you are, this might be more helpful. You could try raising 1/4 grain for a few days and then re-evaluate.

For the symptoms you describe, I personally found t4 to be more helpful but everyone is different. I do seem to need more t3 in the winter though.
Sure, yeah I was just giving some general pointers. Personally, I would at least experiment with lower T4 levels first. 100mcg of T4, on top of 1 grain, is highly skewed in favor of T4. If the problems are still there, before bulking up on more T4, I would see if excess T4 isn't the problem first. But to each is own.

sweetpeat

Sure, yeah I was just giving some general pointers. Personally, I would at least experiment with lower T4 levels first. 100mcg of T4, on top of 1 grain, is highly skewed in favor of T4. If the problems are still there, before bulking up on more T4, I would see if excess T4 isn't the problem first. But to each is own.
Absolutely, same here. I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with your advice. Just giving the OP a alternate viewpoint to perceive, think, and act upon.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals