New Ideas On Mewing And Orthotropics

Ive been mewing for about 2 years now with some great results and my face has changed dramatically. Considering that I had braces when I was young and had malocclusion so bad that I actually got braces put on for free because insurance payed for it (im not sure what the criteria for this was), and I now don’t even need a retainer, I have made some serious progress!

But I do have some ideas on why I was able to make such dramatic results while some people cant even make small changes after a year.

Dr. Mew seems to focus on 3 factors that influence the facial form. The tongue, the jaw strength and position, and head posture. All of witch certainly have influence, but I would argue that there are more.

If we take a look at a picture of a face with the muscles exposed….

upload_2018-12-19_12-9-29.png

Then we see that there are around 4o muscles that can be found in the human face and are all attached to bone, skin and other muscles.

The tightness, frequency of activation and use of these muscles can influence the face in a huge way. And I would argue that the reason that some faces can be long, thin, regressed, etc… and still be considered attractive, is that the way that a person holds these muscles can cause redeeming qualities in the face.

But we can see that how some of these muscles attach, and just visibly see how these muscles can potentially influence bone.

Here is a picture of someone with attractive eyes, and just pay attention to how the muscles surrounding the eyes are activated.

upload_2018-12-19_13-11-21.png

You may say it’s because he is posing for the camera but you can look up picture after picture of men with attractive eyes, and you will notice the same activation of the muscles surrounding the eyes.

What about cheek bones…

upload_2018-12-19_13-12-50.png
upload_2018-12-19_13-11-57.png

Obviously the tongue is going to have a huge effect in this area, but people with cheek bones tend to have some sort of tension held that causes them to be more prominent.

Now we can all agree that tension in the jaw area can cause bone development, so why wouldn’t it be different for other muscles?

I theorize that the reason that this facial tension is attractive is because a person under sunlight would naturally hold themselves like this, where as a person in modern society would relax their facial muscles as they are in doors most of the time.

This may be a reason why the popular athletic kids in high school who spend their childhoods outside where they wouldn’t develop allergies and would naturally hold their face to best be able to see in the sunlight, develop attractive faces, while the nerdy kids wouldn’t develop in this way.

I’m open to suggestions though, and wonder what you guys think. Let me know.

Whichway?

What specific mewing exercises did you do that helped? What changes were you able to achieve?

I have a jaw and mid face asymmetry that I would love to improve, but thus far haven’t been able to.

OP
M
What specific mewing exercises did you do that helped? What changes were you able to achieve?

I have a jaw and mid face asymmetry that I would love to improve, but thus far haven’t been able to.

It is my belief that asymmetry is caused simply by more muscular activation on one side of the face than the other. If you look at a stroke victim it is common to see half of their face sagging due to that lack of muscle activation.

I wouldn't recommend any exercises just because I don't think they help. Bones need force over a long period of time to change.

I would focus on making sure that the muscles in your face are all activated symmetrically at a resting state. Equal jaw activation, cheek, and eye muscle activation. You may also be chewing more on ones side or resting the tongue against one side more.

OP
M
This is a good recent overview on the subject:

This is one of the best mewing videos I've seen. Very well laid out in one area. I'm glad this idea is blowing up and isn't known just an incel coping mechanism anymore lol!

Pistachio

What if a recessed mandible and overbite is one's problem. Shouldn't the tongue then be positioned on the lower teeth to help extend out the recessed jaw to correct it in time? Or is it the case with mewing that pushing the maxilla up results in the mandible beginning to correct (by way of protruding out, with the previously slopping maxilla now out of the way?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals