Think I Handle Caffeine Better Now With Low Fat / High Carb

Cirion

hindsight is always 20/20 eh....

I normally get at least a brief feeling of brain fog when consuming coffee... which was almost non-existant this time going for a cup, now that I'm very low PUFA/fat and high carb.

we'll see if that continues... but hopefully it does :)

makes sense though, since caffeine along with aspirin are intended to block lipolysis and boost carb metabolism right?

InChristAlone

Yes high carb will increase caffeine tolerance. Because the liver needs glycogen to handle caffeine... otherwise cortisol.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I was already high carb, but specifically the change of decreasing fat (especially PUFA's) has had noticeable differences in my energy levels and tolerance of caffeine.

I kept not wanting to believe the randle cycle, or how serious PUFA's are, but now I'm a believer. So much pain I could have avoided if I had just gone low PUFA straight out of the gate... it's easy to bury your head in the sand but the fact is RP is 100% right about PUFA.

I have also noticed some random aches and pains I was having are going away now that I'm pushing towards essential fatty acid deficiency levels. "EFAs" seem to trigger random pains in muscles and joints in the body, in my experience. so much for "essential" lol

InChristAlone

What are your macros? I am usually 55% carbs, 34% fat, today I went much lower in fat and much higher in carbs and feel like I have more energy.

X3CyO

same. can drink coffee in the morning without food now and not get hyped

OP
Cirion

Cirion

I am playing with something like 60g fat a day now, with no limit on protein or carbs (eating as I feel hungry for it) but upwards of 200g protein and 600-800g carb (Today my carb intake has been a little less, maybe I'm finally almost refilled on glucose??)

Just to be clear, I think dietary fat is needed to a degree... with a couple of key caveats

1.) If you're sick, it should be low, probably not zero, but low
2.) Pretty much the only fat you should be having if sick is coconut oil, and hydrogenated is ideal to bring PUFA even lower.
-> along #2, hydrogenated coconut oil (or at least regular CO) is key to have because it helps displace/protect against PUFA stores. if you go zero fat you'll probably feel bad due to PUFA liberation and no SFA to protect against it although zero fat would theoretically be the quickest (but probably not healthiest) way to drop body fat & PUFA. I'm going for healthiest rather than quick, so I'm keeping some fat (just not pufa)
3.) Healthy person can probably bring dietary fat up again to a degree, with most still ideally probably from CO where possible, or other SFA's at least

Virtually all my fat is from coconut oil, soon to be hydrogenated coconut oil so virtually no PUFA at that point.