Did I Diabetes Myself? HYEEEELP!

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

Explosionlord, that's anal on the grandest scale. Type A personalities are pedantic to the nth degree; so we need to chill. I don't have issues with starches and whole grains. Bread though is my biggest bug bear due to potassium iodide (not the gluten) plus all the other crap in it. I am sensitive to iodine but have no issues with seafood. I can eat lots of oysters and shellfish and I don't react. Salty drinks are always on the menu for me to counteract the iodine.

So a snack for me could be a few prawns with potato juice and some fruit. I love the OJ but need to be careful. I have a feeling that the sweetness is the issue. Now I only have freshly squeezed and not too much. It's too easy to have OJ + gelatin or milk and fruit, stewed fruit + ice-cream or custard. These are all delicious to eat. Potato juice on its own would tie me over to say lunch if I have a decent breakfast.

If I am hungrier, then boiled potatoes with a tomato based sauce or home-made chutney. I keep a big batch of boiled, mashed potatoes, potato casserole or fritatta in the fridge so I don't have to resort to having a sandwich or toast.

I love to combine slices of boiled potatoes with leafy greens like silver beets and parmesan cheese. If I have a good quality sourdough, then I layer sourdough bread with boiled potatoes, boiled mushrooms, silver beets and parmesan cheese. I include a couple of ladles of gelatin broth. You can add the parmesan to the sourdough toast, grill so the cheese melts and then layer the rest, or serve with tomato based sauce. I have batches of each cooked in the fridge ready to go as needed. My children can drop in without notice, I need to keep a well- stocked fridge and freezer ready to feed them. Gosh, there is so much that you can do with potatoes - I guess this is the reason they get such a bad rap. They are cheap to grow, need little care - only water, and make ma.

Funny you mentioned gnocchi, as it's probably my favorite food and I really like making it a lot during holidays and for special occasions. With homemade alfredo, I think it's the perfect food.

Yeah, I know the thing with the sieving is a bit out there, but even *it* doesn't seem to be helping; potato juice pretty much instantly gives me silent reflux, dunno why. I stopped drinking it and have been doing okay with potatoes I microwave the hell out of. I've seen all the starch potatoes have from sieving, not sure why with it all in a highly nuked potato I'd be fine and not so with the juice, but typical annoying things I guess.

I have managed to get my pulse up a bit eating more often, but temps are still a struggle. (Which seems to be the opposite of most peoples' results on here)

Explosionlord, I have not read Peat's research on the variety he tested.

links on discussion of high protein potatoes by growers that contains links to other sites.

Potatoes with High Protein - Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

I had a look at the Clearwater Russet (attachment) and the flesh is white however they are touted as being high protein compared to other varieties. I grow Royal Blues which are noticeably yellow.

Potato%20Royal%20Blue_2012.jpg

View attachment 4590

Clearwater Russet also is notable for having
a higher protein content than those of standard
potato varieties, with 38% greater concentration
than Russet Burbank.

Do you know the variety Peat tested and why he settled on it? He must have screened the others to settle on the final one. The Russet potato (have not heard mention a specific variety of the Russet) is the variety recommended for celiac's and other gut issues by some health gurus. From my experience, starch even if low, is best to keep out until digestion is more robust.

Calories in food are not actually tested, it is a derived figure. The following link explains.
How do food manufacturers calculate the calorie count of packaged foods?

The calories may not be that different even if protein content is higher, as protein and carbs are the same 4 calories/1 gram, provided fat content remains the same. However, in the body will behave differently due to lower starch, higher protein, keto acids and so many other variables.

The USDA database will give you nutrients, calories, minerals etc. You need to check whether it gives info on different varieties. I am not sure it does. Cooked with skin off or on will make a difference to the nutritional profile.

https://ndb.na
l.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3093?manu=&fgcd=&ds=Standard%20Reference

If you decide on potatoes, you could include the purple skin purple flesh ones. I don't know about protein or ketoacids in these ones but there is quite a buzz about antioxidants and oligomeric proanthocyandin (OPCs) levels in purple pigment plants.

Potato Antioxidant Research | Cooperative Extension: Agriculture | University of Maine

Strange about the MRSA, more stranger on your leg. Perhaps it was from the endoscopy procedure. Plus copper poisoning??? Copper displaces iron and zinc. I would check zinc levels. In hypothyroid individuals the immune system is also low functioning and these individuals are harbouring all sort of viruses, bacterial pathogens etc that can not be cleared from the body. The are laying low, or hiding inside cells and nervous system, spinal fluid etc. When liver is eaten, these pathogens are brought to the surface (thrown off) as the immune system is activated.

You may be thinking that you contracted it from infected liver or liver is bad for you, but the likely scenario is that your immune system was activated to deal with it. Make sure your Vitamin D levels are also optimised as vitamin D upregulates antimicrobial peptides. You don't want too low or too high. Sun exposure protects you from Vitamin D toxicity and if you supplement you need to monitor every 6 weeks. You want Goldilocks levels of just right. Same applies to everything else. Too many people are poisoning themselves. Moderation and balance should be at the forefront when trying to optimise. Remember, food is powerful along with Sun, Sleep, Rest, Exercise, Breathe, Love and laughter - all powerful when it comes to restoring and maintaining our health. All of these are free except for the food.

I would also check your zinc (RBC) levels as the copper may have depleted your zinc along with iron. Retinol and zinc work synergistically, especially when it comes to the immune system and parasitic infections. The fact that you felt better with antibiotics is telling. More reason to have thyroid working optimally and temperature >36.6. Your pulse should guide you on how much food you require.

I didn't mean to crush your passion. Too easy to get wrapped up in the science - extremely seductive. Look after that magnificient piece of machinery and you go a long way in achieving all that you desire.

I'm unsure where I read or heard Dr. Peat's view, just that he spoke of young red potatoes being the best as far as low starch content/higher sugar. That forum you linked me to also tied that together with the higher protein content of baby varieties, as apparently most protein in a potato is located directly under the skin; something to consider- I'll probably test baby reds and maybe that Clearwater variety if it can be found.

How many calories do you typically eat? I know we have different bodily profiles and all, but you did say you ate a lot to keep things in good shape. I've increased my meals to 6 a day, and was doing about 400 kcal per. Figure that way I at least get up over 2000. Still having trouble sometimes keeping up, with my workload and all, but I've done pretty solidly in the past week in preparing stuff and bringing it to class. Just worried the overall calories might be too low, as my weight isn't increasing consistently.

Dave M

Are you still having these issues explosionlord? I had very similar symptoms a year or two ago. I also got pain on the front of my abdomen right under my front two ribs after large meals. I found that rich foods, particularly things like chicken wings with bread sticks, or pizza, would really exacerbate the issue. And also smoking pot definitely made things worse, possible just by stimulating appetite. In a few bad episodes, I got really bad bloating in my abdomen, terrible water retention. I resolved all of this by stopping large rich meals, stopping smoking pot, and ironically taking on a more leangains like eating model. I mostly eat salads with chicken or beef, cook up steak eggs and bacon, avoid flour and starches, and only eat things like rice or other carbs after heavy workouts. Just my 2 cents, worked great for me. Hope you're feeling better, let me know me know if you've made any progress.

Dave M

I read up a little on leangains and realized I misspoke, my diet really wasn't leangains like at all. I eat lots of greens, don't really fast, have lots of skim milk. But I do time higher energy dense meals and more carbs with workouts. I really don't eat all that much fat outside of meat and eggs or the occasional avacado once a day or so. But I definitely saw a rapid turnaround eating tons of salad and avoiding pizza, wings, breadsticks and other american restaurant style food.

OP
explosionlord

explosionlord

Are you still having these issues explosionlord? I had very similar symptoms a year or two ago. I also got pain on the front of my abdomen right under my front two ribs after large meals. I found that rich foods, particularly things like chicken wings with bread sticks, or pizza, would really exacerbate the issue. And also smoking pot definitely made things worse, possible just by stimulating appetite. In a few bad episodes, I got really bad bloating in my abdomen, terrible water retention. I resolved all of this by stopping large rich meals, stopping smoking pot, and ironically taking on a more leangains like eating model. I mostly eat salads with chicken or beef, cook up steak eggs and bacon, avoid flour and starches, and only eat things like rice or other carbs after heavy workouts. Just my 2 cents, worked great for me. Hope you're feeling better, let me know me know if you've made any progress.

Hi Dave, thanks for the concern.

Symptoms have mostly subsided, especially the brain fog. I don't really do much different from those days, except keeping fat relatively low and not eating after 5 pm (though I'll usually have milk a bit before bed).

I've had lots of blood tests over the past 2 years, some by lame practitioners, some by pretty good ones; numbers are always tiptop, despite some symptoms here and there. For a while, I was having high basophils/eosinophils and tried to figure that out; came to find I was producing more IGA anti-gliadin antibodies. In stopping wheat completely and dealing with gingivitis with flossing and limiting serotonin sources, those inflammation numbers went down.

I still am perplexed as to what caused those specific symptoms back then, as again I really haven't changed too much. Interesting you mention Leangains, as I still do Berkhan's workout style, but shed the diet a while back.

moa

@explosionlord how are things going ? any improvement ?

I would consider zinc intake for both gut and brain. I think it's problematic in peat community, unless you do eat oysters every week...

In my experience, GERD or acid reflux is indeed linked to small intestine not being well cleaned between meals, and low stomach acid caused by gastritis.

i don't advice regular fasting, but i do think fasting when it's hurting, with lots of liquid plant infusions (thyme, anis, cascara, maybe peppermint I'm not sure) to drain the intestine is better than solid food to start with, then follow with carrot salad, then well cooked starch.

i would avoid any sugar when acid reflux, and only when acid reflux is present, meaning as soon as the gastric emptying is working and small intestine is cleaned, you can resume fruit juice in spital quantities, on empty stomach, between meals.

in my experience, week cooked starch is the best caloric source with GERD, better than fat or sugar. the least one to cause problems when acid reflux is active.

in the first days after reflux, it's important to keep any further injury by staying vertical during the day (or even during the night), and take small amounts of liquid each time you think it's necessary, using Gaviscon after meal and before bed.

i avoid taking aspirin when i have GERD or gastritis.hydrolysed gelatin with added glycine does help when taken between meals.

and zinc helps on the longer term (after 2-3 weeks of taking it), starting with 30mg from bisglycinate for 2 or 3 weeks, then go down to 15mg per day, on days with low dietary intake.

remember, there are 3 steps :
1 - avoid any further reflux short term
2 - clean the small intestine and raise stomach acid for faster digestion and emptying of the stomach after a meal (this will increase pancreas and bile flow too)
3 - fix dietary deficiencies (zinc, b vitamins) and hormonal profile (cortisol) to avoid relapse on the long term.

usually, PPI like Omeprazole only fix the first step (and I'm not sure how well it really fix this one also). they will block stage 2, so not good to use them long term, they may cause relapse when you stop them.

it's very difficult to fix stage 1, that's why avoiding sugar is so important in stare 1 from my experience (and only in stage 1). sugar between meals does not cause any reflux when you are well advanced in stage 2, but it will exacerbate an already ongoing reflux, so i would avoid it in phase 1. same with fat, coffee, aspirin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals