Grape Juice?

barbwirehouse

Is grape juice safe? I hear red isn't due to phenolic content, what about others like white grape juice?

RedLightMan

Darn really...I drink a lot of red grape juice.
Are these phenols from red grapes shown to be oestrogenic?

schultz

Grape juice (not sure if it's just red) can inhibit iron absorption. I don't drink it myself, but it seems like a good juice to drink with something like liver as it has lots of sugar, inhibits iron and has no vitamin c.

tara

kineticz said:
Grapefruit juice, when I tried it a while ago, seemed to brighten my mood.
I think this one is widely recognised (including in medical circles) to be estrogenic.

tara

barbwirehouse said:
Is grape juice safe? I hear red isn't due to phenolic content, what about others like white grape juice?

Peat was aske about grape juice in that weightloss interview. IIRC, he said it's fine, but higher sugar than OJ. If you are looking for higher sugar-density, then I guess that's a good thing.
I drink it occasionally.

OP
B

barbwirehouse

tara said:
kineticz said:
I think this one is widely recognised (including in medical circles) to be estrogenic.

It's known to interfere with some medicines due to containing some toxic compounds, specifically the furanocoumarins Bergamottin and 6',7'-Dihydroxybergamottin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefrui ... teractions

I found this study on grapefruits effect on estrogen

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23859031

We conducted a pilot dietary intervention study among healthy postmenopausal volunteers to test whole grapefruit, 2 juices, and 1 grapefruit soda. Fifty-nine participants were recruited through the Love/Avon Army of Women. The study consisted of a 3-wk run-in, 2 wk of grapefruit intake, and a 1-wk wash-out. Eight fasting blood samples were collected. An additional 5 samples drawn at 1, 2, 4, 8, and 10 hr after grapefruit intake were collected during an acute-phase study for 10 women. Serum assays for estrone (E1), estradiol (E2), estrone-3-sulfate (E1S), dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, and sex hormone-binding globulin were conducted. Whole grapefruit intake had significant effects on endogenous E1S. Peak effects were seen at 8 hr, increasing by 26% from baseline. No changes in mean E1 or E2 with whole fruit intake were observed. In contrast, fresh juice, bottled juice, and soda intake all had significant lowering effects on E2. The findings suggest an important interaction between grapefruit intake and endogenous estrogen levels. Because endogenous estrogen levels are associated with breast cancer risk, further research is warranted.

:shock: Definitely avoid.

tara said:
barbwirehouse said:

Peat was aske about grape juice in that weightloss interview. IIRC, he said it's fine, but higher sugar than OJ. If you are looking for higher sugar-density, then I guess that's a good thing.
I drink it occasionally.

Nice, thank you Tara. Grape juice is a nice change from orange juice every once in a while. :thumbup

mt_dreams

Although most people here are probably getting enough antioxidants from vit E, I remember hearing a couple of years back that concord grapes have the highest antioxidant count of any common fruit.

kineticz

tara said:
kineticz said:

Ah, another example of me being sensitive to the mood-boosting of E2, I must be 60% female just with male parts :lol:

tara

kineticz said:
tara said:
kineticz said:

Ah, another example of me being sensitive to the mood-boosting of E2, I must be 60% female just with male parts :lol:
:lol:
Lots of women swear by the mood boosting effects of HRT estrogen supplements, too. I've not heard it from so many men, though.

Blinkyrocket

Interesting that grapefruit is estrogenic seeing as there are studies saying it ceased or even reversed atherosclerosis. Not that I'm complaining, the stuff is downright painful to eat, idk about drinking but it's sickeningly horrible. I drink grape juice about as much as orange juice, sometimes I prefer it due to taste and a cup has more calories and just as much magnesium as orange juice.

Kunder

Funny how half the people in this thread talk about an entirely different fruit from the other half. This is how nonsense spreads.

Antonello

Funny how half the people in this thread talk about an entirely different fruit from the other half. This is how nonsense spreads.
They are confusing grapes with grapefruit that is a citrus. I don't understanda whaat they are talking about :tearsofjoy:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals