A Long-term Risk-benefit Analysis Of Low-dose Aspirin In Primary Prevention

Wagner83

A long-term risk-benefit analysis of low-dose aspirin in primary prevention. - PubMed - NCBI

Wu IC1,2, Hsieh HM3, Yu FJ1,2, Wu MC1, Wu TS1, Wu MT3,4,5.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The long-term risk-benefit effect of occasional and regular use of low-dose aspirin (≤ 100 mg per day) in primary prevention of vascular diseases and cancers was calculated.

METHODS:
One representative database of 1 000 000 participants from Taiwan's National Health Insurance scheme in 1997-2000 was used. The potential study subjects were those aged 30-95 years, were found not to have been prescribed aspirin before 1 January 2000, but to have first been prescribed low-dose aspirin (≤ 100 mg per day) after that date and were followed up to 31 December 2009. Participants prescribed low-dose aspirin < 20% during the study period were considered occasional users and those prescribed ≥ 80% regular users. After the propensity score matching, rate differences of haemorrhage, ischaemia and cancer between these users were calculated their net clinical risk.

RESULTS:
A total of 1720 pairs were analysed. During the study period, haemorrhage and ischaemia occurred in 25 (1·45%) and 67 participants (3·90%) in occasional users and 69 (4·01%) and 100 participants (5·81%) in regular users, whereas cancer occurred in 32 participants (1·86%) in occasional users and 26 participants (1·51%) in regular users. The crude and adjusted net clinical risks of low-dose aspirin use between the two frequency of users (≥ 80% vs. < 20%) were 4·12% (95% CI = 2·19%, 6·07%; P < 0·001) and 3·93% (95% CI = 2·01%, 5·84%; P < 0·001).

CONCLUSIONS:
A long-term regular use of low-dose aspirin might not be better than occasional use in the primary prevention against major vascular diseases and cancer.

L

lollipop

CONCLUSIONS:
A long-term regular use of low-dose aspirin might not be better than occasional use in the primary prevention against major vascular diseases and cancer.
This makes sense to me and how I use Aspirin. I get excellent results and no problems.

L

lollipop

Hi Lisa....How do you use aspirin? I don't use it...always been on the fence about it.....John
Hi @bzmazu

I watch myself and notice when I have high symptoms of too much estrogen/serotonin:

*Very grumpy, irritated, “inflamed”
*Headache (rarely rarely get one -so when I do I know estrogen is high)
*Body feels off - hard to explain this one - maybe like a feeling of inflammation

OR

I can not sleep after trying for an hour

Then I take two 325mg tablets with 6 ounces milk.

Within 20min I feel s sense of calmness, everything settling down, headache goes away. If I used for sleep, within 30 min, I fall asleep.

Hope this answers your question. In brief, I would say I take symptom based and not as a regular supplement. Like a targeted treatment. It is highly effective for me and I have never needed to take a second time in the day.

B

Braveheart

Hi @bzmazu

I watch myself and notice when I have high symptoms of too much estrogen/serotonin:

*Very grumpy, irritated, “inflamed”
*Headache (rarely rarely get one -so when I do I know estrogen is high)
*Body feels off - hard to explain this one - maybe like a feeling of inflammation

OR

I can not sleep after trying for an hour

Then I take two 325mg tablets with 6 ounces milk.

Within 20min I feel s sense of calmness, everything settling down, headache goes away. If I used for sleep, within 30 min, I fall asleep.

Hope this answers your question. In brief, I would say I take symptom based and not as a regular supplement. Like a targeted treatment. It is highly effective for me and I have never needed to take a second time in the day.
Nice...like it...it's the way I would approach it too...thanks!

griesburner

what about the "aspirin withdrawel effect"? i recently read a bit about the pros and cons of taking aspirin and this is the one that holds me back of taking it. It is said that aspirin has antiplatelet or anticoagulant properties but if you take some and then suddenly stop the body could overcompensate and blood gets thicker and risk of stroke and heart attack is increased. i didnt found any discussion about it here. maybe its only important if you take it over a very long time but i am not sure.

Possibility of a rebound phenomenon following antiplatelet therapy withdrawal: A look at the clinical and pharmacological evidence - ScienceDirect

this study is just an example. but you find a lot on this topic.

B

Braveheart

what about the "aspirin withdrawel effect"? i recently read a bit about the pros and cons of taking aspirin and this is the one that holds me back of taking it. It is said that aspirin has antiplatelet or anticoagulant properties but if you take some and then suddenly stop the body could overcompensate and blood gets thicker and risk of stroke and heart attack is increased. i didnt found any discussion about it here. maybe its only important if you take it over a very long time but i am not sure.

Possibility of a rebound phenomenon following antiplatelet therapy withdrawal: A look at the clinical and pharmacological evidence - ScienceDirect

this study is just an example. but you find a lot on this topic.
Dr McDougall wrote a very good article about how to come off aspirin slowly...I was on baby aspirin too long after stroke and wanted off... followed his directions...it went well. Can't find article now...no time to search at moment.

OP
W

Wagner83

From the little I read and my exchanges with haidut et all I think the body adapts to almost anything you give it daily and long-term, so that taking frequent prolonged breaks, or, as suggested in this thread, using supplements infrequently and as needed may be best. This goes well with the idea that one shouldn't rely on supplements long-term but they may have their use in correcting issues. There may be a few exceptions, but I'm pretty sure Ray uses most supplements pretty sparingly (recently someone shared a mail from Ray in which he said he doesn't use thyroid except in winter).

B

Braveheart

here it is....

How to Stop Aspirin Safely

There appears to be a rebound from reversing the “blood thinning” effects of aspirin when it is stopped suddenly. Over three times the expected risk of stroke occurs in patients with a previous history of heart disease when they suddenly stop taking aspirin.13 A similar increase in risk of heart attack has been reported when aspirin was stopped.

No one has determined a safe regime for discontinuing this therapy. I suggest that people needing to stop long-term use of aspirin should do so slowly. Since as little as 30 mg (1/3 of a baby aspirin) will deactivate all of the body’s platelets, slow withdrawal should begin at about this level. Cut a baby aspirin into quarters (now 20 mg). Take 20 mg then wait for 4 days to take the next 20 mg dose. Increase the interval between 20 mg doses by one day until a 10-day interval between doses is reached, and then stop taking the aspirin. This is not an easy task since the tablets are so small. Reduction or discontinuation should be done after obtaining a doctor’s advice on the risks and benefits for each individual patient. Even before reducing the aspirin, patients should change to the McDougall Diet in order to most effectively reduce their risk of strokes and heart attacks.
Found here:
Report of McDougall Advanced Study Weekend - February 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Braveheart

here it is....

How to Stop Aspirin Safely

There appears to be a rebound from reversing the “blood thinning” effects of aspirin when it is stopped suddenly. Over three times the expected risk of stroke occurs in patients with a previous history of heart disease when they suddenly stop taking aspirin.13 A similar increase in risk of heart attack has been reported when aspirin was stopped.

No one has determined a safe regime for discontinuing this therapy. I suggest that people needing to stop long-term use of aspirin should do so slowly. Since as little as 30 mg (1/3 of a baby aspirin) will deactivate all of the body’s platelets, slow withdrawal should begin at about this level. Cut a baby aspirin into quarters (now 20 mg). Take 20 mg then wait for 4 days to take the next 20 mg dose. Increase the interval between 20 mg doses by one day until a 10-day interval between doses is reached, and then stop taking the aspirin. This is not an easy task since the tablets are so small. Reduction or discontinuation should be done after obtaining a doctor’s advice on the risks and benefits for each individual patient. Even before reducing the aspirin, patients should change to the McDougall Diet in order to most effectively reduce their risk of strokes and heart attacks.

Found here:
Report of McDougall Advanced Study Weekend - February 2010

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Many elderly and not so elderly people take baby aspirin and are on a prescription blood thinner. It seems like overkill.

Thank you @bzmazu for the method to discontinue daily use.

SOMO

First few days of using ~2g aspirin and I had a bad stomach ache that went away in an hour or two. No discomfort since then.

Also having to remember to take the powder 2-3 times a day is tedious/stressful and so this study is great news.

Lutzzy

Many elderly and not so elderly people take baby aspirin and are on a prescription blood thinner. It seems like overkill.

Thank you @bzmazu for the method to discontinue daily use.
They had it right when they put out the perfect aspirin replacement "Bufferin" (taken off the market it worked too good) as it had magnesium and it buffered the bad affects of aspirin. They used to say your stomach bled everytime you took an aspirin, so avoid them. But then came the wonder drug Tylenol ...in liquid and tablets and caplets...Now it is banned in some forms in Canada....but OK for Americans.....Tylenol causes liver failure and other problems....so on to anything that they have a patent on so you have to visit their office to get a prescription....Follow the money trail....white willow bark was used for centuries...https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/09/11/tylenol-far-most-dangerous-drug-ever-made-11711

Lutzzy

A long-term risk-benefit analysis of low-dose aspirin in primary prevention. - PubMed - NCBI

Wu IC1,2, Hsieh HM3, Yu FJ1,2, Wu MC1, Wu TS1, Wu MT3,4,5.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
The long-term risk-benefit effect of occasional and regular use of low-dose aspirin (≤ 100 mg per day) in primary prevention of vascular diseases and cancers was calculated.

METHODS:
One representative database of 1 000 000 participants from Taiwan's National Health Insurance scheme in 1997-2000 was used. The potential study subjects were those aged 30-95 years, were found not to have been prescribed aspirin before 1 January 2000, but to have first been prescribed low-dose aspirin (≤ 100 mg per day) after that date and were followed up to 31 December 2009. Participants prescribed low-dose aspirin < 20% during the study period were considered occasional users and those prescribed ≥ 80% regular users. After the propensity score matching, rate differences of haemorrhage, ischaemia and cancer between these users were calculated their net clinical risk.

RESULTS:
A total of 1720 pairs were analysed. During the study period, haemorrhage and ischaemia occurred in 25 (1·45%) and 67 participants (3·90%) in occasional users and 69 (4·01%) and 100 participants (5·81%) in regular users, whereas cancer occurred in 32 participants (1·86%) in occasional users and 26 participants (1·51%) in regular users. The crude and adjusted net clinical risks of low-dose aspirin use between the two frequency of users (≥ 80% vs. < 20%) were 4·12% (95% CI = 2·19%, 6·07%; P < 0·001) and 3·93% (95% CI = 2·01%, 5·84%; P < 0·001).

CONCLUSIONS:

Lutzzy

They give no parameters on the type, directions and useage. If they are loaded with dyes and coloring , additives, etc. I have noticed since Codius Alimentris (sp) they lace everything with titanium dioxide and silica or silicon dioxide. Then in the childrens aspirin they add flavoring and a sugar. No regard to how these subjects are taking the aspirin , with a full glass of water, with food, or a handfull of other medicines? So many variables to explore when the studies are so uncontrolled. If I would be taking an aspirin today I would probably take the cheapest with the least ingredients..plain aspirin with a shot glass of citrate of magnesium (since I can not find Bufferin) and chase with a glass of water and maybe even food. I do not need anything that my body can not digest like metal or crystal, save that for computer and watch parts.

managing

They give no parameters on the type, directions and useage. If they are loaded with dyes and coloring , additives, etc. I have noticed since Codius Alimentris (sp) they lace everything with titanium dioxide and silica or silicon dioxide. Then in the childrens aspirin they add flavoring and a sugar. No regard to how these subjects are taking the aspirin , with a full glass of water, with food, or a handfull of other medicines? So many variables to explore when the studies are so uncontrolled. If I would be taking an aspirin today I would probably take the cheapest with the least ingredients..plain aspirin with a shot glass of citrate of magnesium (since I can not find Bufferin) and chase with a glass of water and maybe even food. I do not need anything that my body can not digest like metal or crystal, save that for computer and watch parts.
What is special about Bufferin (ie, what special purpose did the magcit serve)? Why was it taken off the market?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals