Eating Carrots Dramatically Reduces All-cause Mortality Risk

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study was about alpha-carotene but over 90% of the alpha-carotene consumed in the diet comes from carrots. The study also found effect in all groups - healthy, sick, old, obese, etc. So, it's fair to say that carrots protect everybody from everything:):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21098341

Ben

Re: Eating carrots dramatically reduces all-cause mortality

The study interprets it as eating lots of fruits and vegetables is good, but we know that carrots are probably the best vegetable, and not all fruits are good. The effect of carrots on mortality must be really good if they can correlate beta-carotenes to mortality, and RP said carotenes are anti-thyroid. I wonder why RP didn't mention the carrot more on his website if it's so beneficial.

Have you seen my thread about "carrot addiction"? I wonder if these people have such a strange addiction because carrots make them feel better by reducing endotoxin.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3156

jyb

Re: Eating carrots dramatically reduces all-cause mortality

I'm not sure how much beta-carotene you get from the carrot salad (uncooked carrots).

Ron J

@haidut
I've been avoiding the carrot salad due to the beta-carotene. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with it acting like PUFA. If I wash it and don't consume it with coconut oil, how many medium sized carrots can I eat daily?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
I've been avoiding the carrot salad due to the beta-carotene. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with it acting like PUFA. If I wash it and don't consume it with coconut oil, how many medium sized carrots can I eat daily?

If you don't have orange calluses then you can probably have 2-3 medium size carrots daily. If carrot is a problem, charcoal or other insoluble fiber is also an option.

Ron J

Thanks. I have some charcoal, but I also want the fiber content of the carrots. Unless there's something else I can take, like a powder supplement with the type of fiber that's approved by Ray Peat. Bamboo shoots/mushrooms seem more expensive and carrots are more accessible.

thirdcatgy

Interesting, Chris Masterjohn has stated previously that up to half of the population have genetics that prevent them from retaining Vitamin A from plant sources and he recommends liver?