Female Corner

Jon

You're welcome! :)

Yep, dropping the animal protein and going fruitarian definitely affected my endocrine system. My chronically elevated PTH while strict peating came down to the low end of the range, my depression, high adrenaline and anxiety attacks disappeared, I stopped waking during the night needing to pee and I now have periods. My progesterone level went from non-existent without the use of high doses of Progest-E (a bottle a week) to the highest it has been, far exceeding the 10x that off estrogen ratio that Ray says is optimal.

Your theory is much better than mine. It sounds complicated enough to be convincing so I say we go with it! lol Mine is that sweet fruit is scarce during the winter and what's available is so unripe that tree bark would be less aggravating to my intestines, and my body knows that the coconut, avos and olives are always available and ripe so I can actually get some painless calories and not have to go to bed starving. I'm still not at a point where I can skimp on calories for extended periods without my adrenals freaking out.

Ah so then you are still vegan?

Well sounds like you've made some excellent headway! I've said it before elsewhere but the number one thing that I felt like regulated me for adrenals and stress cycles in general (aside from following my tastebuds) was just letting go alittle bit. I'm a performance head though, so I'm sure some of the severity of my issues was driven by the fact that I'm not very patient with myself lol I have a hard time accepting that I suck at something. This usually drives me to jump the gun and try to fix everything that's going wrong in one day which never works out well.

Anyway, it took me NOT taking that approach and living in the suck and just learning to be ok with a slow mend.

Jennifer

Ah so then you are still vegan?

Well sounds like you've made some excellent headway! I've said it before elsewhere but the number one thing that I felt like regulated me for adrenals and stress cycles in general (aside from following my tastebuds) was just letting go alittle bit. I'm a performance head though, so I'm sure some of the severity of my issues was driven by the fact that I'm not very patient with myself lol I have a hard time accepting that I suck at something. This usually drives me to jump the gun and try to fix everything that's going wrong in one day which never works out well.

Anyway, it took me NOT taking that approach and living in the suck and just learning to be ok with a slow mend.
Yep, I went back to veganism after half a decade of slowly getting worse following protocols like WAPF which included a period of raw meat, RBTI, Matt Stone/youreatopia refeeding guidelines and then standard Peating which led to consuming nothing but milk and honey when I stopped tolerating everything. I was trying to fix my spine.

Me too!! Letting go has been huge in my healing. I'm a recovering perfectionist...which means I still occasionally beat myself up if I'm not nailing letting go. lol Yep, I definitely have made headway. The biggest was learning how to walk again after fracturing half my spine. All that's left is to continue regenerating it so that the kyphosis that developed from all the compression fractures straightens out.

RWilly

I was hoping all of you might be able to give me some advice. I suspect that I have PCOS, although I do not have all the symptoms. I'm in menopause, have fatty liver, hirutism on the chin, have had lots of female issues in my life, although periods were always on schedule when I was menstruating. I've had an ovary removed due to cysts, and I have a 9 month pregnant belly. My fasting insulin is very high, my coritisol is normal, my blood sugar is normal, my triglycerides are almost in range and I have normal blood pressure. I have a very hard time losing weight. I'm hot all the time. As far as energy goes, I feel healthy. I'd just like to work on my appearance.
I've done practically every mix and match diet and supplement routine you can think of. I'm new to peating, and still not sure if I should go high fat or low fat. Any suggestions?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Welcome @RWilly. This link might be a good starting point in regards to diet.
Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines
Using Progest-e directly on the areas of hirsutism may be helpful. It was mentioned in one of the herb doctors interviews with Peat and one of our members reported it worked for reducing her unwanted facial hair.
I'm glad you are here and I hope you receive lots of input on your situation!

RWilly

Welcome @RWilly. This link might be a good starting point in regards to diet.
Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines
Using Progest-e directly on the areas of hirsutism may be helpful. It was mentioned in one of the herb doctors interviews with Peat and one of our members reported it worked for reducing her unwanted facial hair.
I'm glad you are here and I hope you receive lots of input on your situation!

Thanks for the tip Blossom. And wow! That is a lot more protein than I would have guessed. I was thinking 2 glasses of milk and some cheese every day, with eggs a few times a week would have covered my protein needs. Glad I asked.

What are your thoughts on nuts? It is a whole food with protein and vitamin E.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
What are your thoughts on nuts?
Generally people who follow Ray's work avoid nuts and seeds because of the high amount of PUFA. Did you know Ray has a site with a lot of informative articles?
Fats and degeneration
He has a few including the one above on PUFA.

RWilly

I hadn't read that article yet. Good info.

It just seems like nuts would be something that our bodies should be able to handle normally, since our ancestors use to forage for nuts. I would think the surounding compounds found in a whole foods that protect its PUFA from oxidation, such as vitamin E and other phytonutrients, would be the type of compounds we should ingest for PUFA detox. (I'd prefer not to supplement with E, as synthetic E has had its issues.)

And then of course the question is, how much of that vitamin E would be available for our body's PUFA stores, if its already in use managing the nut's PUFA stores?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm sure we can handle nuts but I don't think they are optimal for regular consumption. The impression I get from reading Peat is that in the absence of PUFA not much vitamin E is even necessary. Of course each person should make their own informed decisions regarding food based on personal preference and tolerance. Peat has put his well thought out and researched ideas online for people to read and decide for themselves. I decided to give his ideas a shot about 5 years ago because what I was doing wasn't working out so well for me.
If you are currently enjoying nuts I'll be the last person to try to stop you! I will merely encourage you to read his articles and listen to his interviews and keep an open mind. I'm certain I eat a bit differently than Peat himself, after all we each have to do the best we can for our own situation.

RWilly

Thanks Blossom. Would you happen to have a link where Peat discusses the PUFA detox process? And would you happen to know if he thinks that saturated fat plays a role in the detoxification process (other than using saturated fat as a safe fat)?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't have a link handy at the moment (at work) but I'm sure that the information is somewhere here on the forum. If not I may be able to find some quotes in one Ray's old newsletters. I'll look around when I get some free time tomorrow and maybe between now and then someone else might chime in on the topic!
Thanks Blossom. Would you happen to have a link where Peat discusses the PUFA detox process? And would you happen to know if he thinks that saturated fat plays a role in the detoxification process (other than using saturated fat as a safe fat)?

RWilly

That's okay Blossom. I don't want you to go out of your way. I'll do a little more digging to see if I can find it.

Mad

Hi ladies,

Has anyone continued high ish doses of vitamin A while pregnant?

We've all heard the warnings of vitamin A toxicity during pregnancy causing birth defects; only about 2,500 IU daily is recommended during pregnancy. 5,000 IU seems to be the average recommendation by RP, or up to much more than than depending on thyroid function and balance with other fat solubles.

I'm currently taking a 25,000 IU dose of retinyl palmitate about every 2-3 days. If I go longer than this without the vitamin A, I develop acne, particularly on my forehead.
I'm thinking ahead about if I were to get pregnant, how much I would need to reduce my dose by? (Btw my husband and I aren't particularly trying yet, but we may soon.)

Hildy

Inspired by the Travis Corner thread title I thought I'd start a Female Corner thread.

I've been thinking it would be nice to have a designated space for women to ask questions of other women and share experiences. I personally have no problem whatsoever with males chiming in when they have valuable information to share that they have learned from the women in their life, knowledge from working with women on health issues or things of scientific value.

Let's face it- most of us probably don't know a lot of other women IRL who are familiar with Peat's work that we could turn to for advice, input or opinions.

At present we seem to have a more active male presence on the forum which is fine and great but I would still like to have our women members feel there is a space where they feel comfortable posting about uniquely female topics. I hate the thought of someone not asking a question for fear of ridicule and I know it's happened.

Ladies, let me know what you think? If there doesn't seem to be a need I can always delete the thread.
Glad you made this thread because their doesn't seem to be a lot of Peatatarian women for some reason. But from what I've researched, Peat's information seems to confirm what I have studied independently. That said, I do think there needs to be a slightly different approach when it comes to women doing the "Peat way" as opposed to men.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Glad you made this thread because their doesn't seem to be a lot of Peatatarian women for some reason. But from what I've researched, Peat's information seems to confirm what I have studied independently. That said, I do think there needs to be a slightly different approach when it comes to women doing the "Peat way" as opposed to men.
Yes, I’ve noticed that too. I’m not exactly sure why that is but I agree wholeheartedly.