How Much Vitamin A Does Ray Peat Suggest?

Logan-

How much vitamin A should be taken every day according to Ray Peat? I know he has talked about this in interviews, but I don't remember it.

kitback

I tried to provide a link but it didn’t work. Google “Ray Peat on Vitamin A dosage” and you will find a link to a brief YouTube video.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

No, please don't use supplemental A. If you really believe you need more use food.

James ardagna

a higher metabolism requires more vitamin a, conversely be cautious if hypothyroid with vitamin a supplementation. I think Peat mentioned if hypothyroid to start out with around 5000 -10000 iu no more.

James ardagna

Peat talks about supplementation of vitamin a in one of Danny Roddys generative energy podcasts, no. 31: safe supplements with ray peat.

kitback

Quote from Ray Peat interview on KMUD regarding Vitamin A dosage
2-2014 Diabetes, Fats, Sugars, Starch Damage

“It depends on the status of your thyroid, exactly, because the thyroid hormone and Vitamin A are carried on the same protein in the blood and if you take too much Vitamin A, it can act as an antagonist to thyroid. It acts like a polyunsaturated fat, in competing against the thyroid hormone and can also block the production of adrenal and ovarian steroids if you get too much. 10,000 IU a day if your thyroid is okay. People with very high thyroid activity sometimes need more like 50,000 IU Vitamin A because the increased thyroid raises your requirement for Vitamin A so it’s important to adjust the dose according to the thyroid function.”

This was the case for me. I increased my vitamin A supplement to 10,000 IU per day from 5000. My temperature dropped a full degree and did not budge no matter how much I ate or slept. And I started gaining weight. At first I thought it was “winter sickness“. Then I came across the above quote and realized that this issue started at the same time I increased my vitamin A dose. Dropped it back to 5000 IU per day and my temperature was back up to normal the next day.

Ella

Forum Supporter
if you take too much Vitamin A, it can act as an antagonist to thyroid. It acts like a polyunsaturated fat, in competing against the thyroid hormone and can also block the production of adrenal and ovarian steroids if you get too much.

@kitback, thank you for posting and reminding us that too much of a good thing can be bad.

How many know exactly how much PUFAs they already have on board.

Optimal production of thyroid, adrenal and gonadal function is what we all aspire to on this forum.

No, please don't use supplemental A. If you really believe you need more use food.

Wise words @Janelle525.

Don't underestimate the easy conversion of beta-cryptoxanthins in sun-ripened fruits like oranges, watermelon, mangoes, papaya to retinol. We always think eating liver which is rich in vitamin A, but many are not thinking how much fruit contributes. Beta-cryptoxanthins are handled differently than betacarotenes. Conversion is much more efficient (we still don't know precisely how efficient) and is not dependent on healthy liver. Nearly, 50% of the population do not convert betacarotenes to retinol efficiently, however they easily convert beta-cryptoxanthins, the same constraints don't apply.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Don't underestimate the easy conversion of beta-cryptoxanthins in sun-ripened fruits like oranges, watermelon, mangoes, papaya to retinol. We always think eating liver which is rich in vitamin A, but many are not thinking how much fruit contributes. Beta-cryptoxanthins are handled differently than betacarotenes. Conversion is much more efficient (we still don't know precisely how efficient) and is not dependent on healthy liver. Nearly, 50% of the population do not convert betacarotenes to retinol efficiently, however they easily convert beta-cryptoxanthins, the same constraints don't apply.
Thanks again @Ella for the wealth of information.
Thanks for the Peat quote on A @kitback.

BigChad

a higher metabolism requires more vitamin a, conversely be cautious if hypothyroid with vitamin a supplementation. I think Peat mentioned if hypothyroid to start out with around 5000 -10000 iu no more.

what is the reason a higher metabolism requires more vitamin A? what happens if you have a high metabolism but dont increase your vitamin a intake? does the metabolism slow down then, or something else happens? I remember reading from ray that vitamin a uses the same transporter as thyroid hormone. so wouldnt it have a thyroid limiting effect even if you have a fast metabolism? in which case we should just stick to 5000IU vitamin A regardless of metabolism, and focus on increasing D and K?

shine

what is the reason a higher metabolism requires more vitamin A? what happens if you have a high metabolism but dont increase your vitamin a intake? does the metabolism slow down then, or something else happens? I remember reading from ray that vitamin a uses the same transporter as thyroid hormone. so wouldnt it have a thyroid limiting effect even if you have a fast metabolism? in which case we should just stick to 5000IU vitamin A regardless of metabolism, and focus on increasing D and K?

The Importance of Real Vitamin A (Retinol) - SelfHacked

J

jb116

Gondalgenesis and that array of hormones entirely depend on thyroid and you guessed it, vitamin A.

BigChad

thats all good info but it mostly focuses on the importance of vitamin A.

I was wondering specifically what is the reason a higher metabolism requires more vitamin A? what happens if you have a high metabolism but dont increase your vitamin a intake? does the metabolism slow down then, or something else happens? I remember reading from ray that vitamin a uses the same transporter as thyroid hormone. so wouldnt higher doses have a thyroid limiting effect even if you have a fast metabolism? in which case we should just stick to 5000IU vitamin A regardless of metabolism, and focus on increasing D and K and getting in a good amount of E?

It seems E, A, and potentially D, all deplete K.

serling78

This may be a ridiculous question, but how does one tell if they have a high metabolism? Looking at the signs of each I can't fit myself into one bucket. People with high metabolism supposedly feel hungry a lot and move their bowels a lot. Definitely not me. I'm always bloated and constipated. And those two symptoms match low metabolism, but I don't gain weight or have a hard time losing weight, which are other low metabolism symptoms. Additionally I have a fast heartbeat and anxiety, which seem to go more with high metabolism. So I'm not sure.

I have been taking D3, A, K2, and magnesium for a while. Amounts below. I think they're pretty far out of whack but my libido is very sensitive to anything I put in my body so over time I've arrived on these amounts which worked for a while but I stopped the A a couple weeks ago and switched to kuinone which is a much higher k2 dose than I had been taking. Haven't felt great, very noticeable hair loss/shedding and more constipated than usual. I appreciate any recommendations.

D3: 1000 IU
A: 25000 IU
Magnesium : 180 mg
K2: 5mg (a couple weeks ago got kuinone and do 1 drop a day)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals