Parmigiano Reggiano - Anything Special?

Grana Padano cheese is my favorite which is similar to Parmigiano Reggiano.
Grana Padano - Wikipedia
Parmigiano-Reggiano - Wikipedia
I've never tried Parmigiano, but again they are similar. The differences might be the specific's to make/age it as you can find on the wiki.

What I find special about Grana is the way it kinda melt's in the mouth, texture(crystals), and has a great taste. Both the Grana and Parmigiano have the crystals.
The cheese has crystals which are said to be high in tyrosine/leucine/isoleucine... perhaps enhances mood/muscles :D
Cheese crystals - Wikipedia
Peat might like it due to the way it's made or aged. Probably easy to digest.
It's also an expensive cheese lol.

biffbelvin

For the same reason that Champagne is 'sparkling wine' if it wasn't made in france. To be called Parmigiano Reggiano the cheese has to have been made to a specific methodology and from limited regions. This ensures that, for example, the cheese is made with animal rennet rather than vegetarian rennet. I believe it is either peat, or someone on this forum who postulated that vegetarian rennet could be attributed to many people's dairy allergies.

My sister is extremely intolerant to lactose and dairy in general, but she can eat Parmigiano Reggiano in modest quantities, so I reckon this theory holds water.

If you can't source Parmigiano or it's too expensive, you might find similarly positive results from cheese made with raw milk or that's specified as 'not suitable for vegetarians' (this implies animal rennet has been used to produce it). In the UK they are required by law to advise customers on this, but i can't speak for other countries trading standards.

OP
L

Logan-

My sister is extremely intolerant to lactose and dairy in general, but she can eat Parmigiano Reggiano in modest quantities, so I reckon this theory holds water.

That's interesting. I wonder if the same applies to people who are extremely intolerant to milk proteins.

A. squamosa

doesn't have lactase in it so people with dairy troubles can have it - it's very good for protein and calcium - tends to be easy to digest - it tastes very good!

A. squamosa

parmiggiano is available at different ages, but yes, it is generally aged - well cooked mushrooms help with controlling histamine.

schultz

Ray recommends young cheese, if you can get a good quality one. He recommends Parmesan as an alternative because it is a widely available traditional cheese (uses animal rennet, I believe the milk comes from grass-fed cows, it is raw as someone already mentioned). He is probably mostly concerned with enzymes and vegetable rennet (I don't want to speak for him, but this what I remember him saying).

Douglas Ek

Grana Padano cheese is my favorite which is similar to Parmigiano Reggiano.
Grana Padano - Wikipedia
Parmigiano-Reggiano - Wikipedia
I've never tried Parmigiano, but again they are similar. The differences might be the specific's to make/age it as you can find on the wiki.

What I find special about Grana is the way it kinda melt's in the mouth, texture(crystals), and has a great taste. Both the Grana and Parmigiano have the crystals.
The cheese has crystals which are said to be high in tyrosine/leucine/isoleucine... perhaps enhances mood/muscles :D
Cheese crystals - Wikipedia
Peat might like it due to the way it's made or aged. Probably easy to digest.
It's also an expensive cheese lol.

Parmigiano reggiano is from a smaller region in italy between parma and reggio. While grana padana covers a larger area. Also the diets of the cows are different parmigiano are only allowed to feed from grass. While grana padana doesnt really matter. Parmigiano reggiano is not allowed to have any perservatives which also another good thing. And grana padana the milk is skimmed first so it has a lower fat content. Because of all this grana padana matures quicker so thats because age difference. I eat both. Parmigiano reggiano is obviusly more expensive and in my opinion is dryer and intenser flavour from the longer aging process. While grana padana is more firm chewy texture with milder taste. Good for different recipes. I prefer bigger chunks padana in salads and pastad while parmesan you use a fine grater or what its called sprinkle it over dishes.

D Man

Does parmigiano reggiano have high levels of histamine?
Yes, very high but it has a lot of benefits that outweigh this

When it comes To cheese I have one and only one Recommendation...

GOUDA - very high levels of vitamin K2 - been a revelation to my own diet

InChristAlone

I love good Parmigiano reggiano. I love that it is not pasteurized and is made with rennet. Plus it keeps my teeth looking and feeling great. I used to eat a lot of gouda as well, but got sick of the flavor and plus towards the end of the rind it gets too dry.