Bad First Experience With Molasses

Ron J

Hello everyone
I consumed a total of 8 fl Oz of molasses throughout the day, and got watery stools. Is there an adaptation period, or is this what will always occur from such amount?
Edit: It's blackstrap molasses not regular molasses.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Hello everyone
I consumed a total of 8 fl Oz of molasses throughout the day, and got watery stools. Is there an adaptation period, or is this what will always occur from such amount?
It's a known laxative, maybe due to both gut irritation as well as the high magnesium content.

OP
R

Ron J

To see how well I do with it, and it has some decent minerals.

jitsmonkey

To see how well I do with it, and it has some decent minerals.

A cup of blackstrap has 1.5x your daily RDA of iron
that'd be a deal breaker for me especially for a substance that was going to be used daily/regularly
there are better ways to get your nutrition.

OP
R

Ron J

Iron is part of the reason I chose to try out blackstrap molasses.

jitsmonkey

as a male I avoid iron as often as possible
not getting enough would be a hard task in the absence of a metabolic issue

OP
R

Ron J

Thanks. I'll read the link.
Also, it's not for anemia and I usually eat low iron.

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster
How is it a gut irritant?
I haven't really looked into it, but the melanoidins produced by the browning reactions (the effects of heating the molasses to high temperatures) could absorb and cause glycation and other toxic effects in the intestine and systemically.

"Harmful effects of dietary melanoidins have been investigated in the context of their ability to promote glycation reactions in vivo, which are involved in the progression of several diseases, such as diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular complications, and Alzheimer's disease. Toxicological studies were performed showing that melanoidin structures can not be classified as potent dietary mutagens or genotoxins. Thus, substantial knowledge on the health effects of melanoidins has been gained within COST Action 919. But still, further studies are needed to distinguish between chemically identified harmful and health-beneficial melanoidins."

Link: Five years of research on health risks and benefits of Maillard reaction products: an update. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
R

Ron J

I haven't really looked into it, but the melanoidins produced by the browning reactions (the effects of heating the molasses to high temperatures) could absorb and cause glycation and other toxic effects in the intestine and systemically.

"Harmful effects of dietary melanoidins have been investigated in the context of their ability to promote glycation reactions in vivo, which are involved in the progression of several diseases, such as diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular complications, and Alzheimer's disease. Toxicological studies were performed showing that melanoidin structures can not be classified as potent dietary mutagens or genotoxins. Thus, substantial knowledge on the health effects of melanoidins has been gained within COST Action 919. But still, further studies are needed to distinguish between chemically identified harmful and health-beneficial melanoidins."

Link: Five years of research on health risks and benefits of Maillard reaction products: an update. - PubMed - NCBI
That helps. Thank you.

fradon

Hello everyone
8oz is a lot the recommended is like 2 tablespoons.

that amount of sugar will mess up your digestion. i would say your problem comes either from inablity to digest it all or an intolerance too it. it is also high in sulphur which some poeple have issues with.

tara

I consumed a total of 8 fl Oz of molasses throughout the day
That's a lot of molasses.
Did you enjoy all of it? Or maybe just the first little bit?

AlexanderCPPR

I have mixed feelings about molases, it has huge copper manganese magnesium etc

but iron too, what if we use it while we chelate the iron with other stuff like turmeric ? you cant really get lot of manganese these days from foods

tara

you cant really get lot of manganese these days from foods

According to the manganese page on the Linus Pauling Institute site, people eating normal amounts of manganese in natural foods have not been shown to have deficiencies. But people on restricted diets sometimes have.
Manganese

1/2 cup of sweet potato + 1/2 cup of spinach + 1/2 cup of brown rice or a serving of oatmeal porridge looks like it would get most of it.
Or swap some of that out for pineapple/juice, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, grapes/juice, figs ...