Stoking The Furnace — Magnesium & Bicarbonate For Raising Temperature & Metabolism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Makrosky said:
haidut said:
Brian said:
narouz said:
How did you raise your progesterone levels, Brian?

I would say the main factors were increasing thyroid hormone production through a little iodine supplementation (usually 400mcg or less of Kelp extract pills) combined with adequate vitamin A for pregnenolone synthesis. I also think getting rid of my zinc deficiency played an important role (by eating a pound of beef a day for a few months).

I agree 100%. In my experiments, adding 100mg pregnenolone to an oral dose of 1g magnesium oxide or citrate FULLY prevents loose stools. As many of the forum members know, 1g of oral magnesium in a single setting is quite large and almost always produces diarrhea. Pregnenolone metabolizes almost instantly into progesterone and since it is a lipid it does not need to be taken with any food. For even stronger effect take 100mg pregnenolone with the actual magnesium bicarbonate and watch out for the powerful sedative effect that kicks in within 10min. Both progesterone and magnesium are strong sedatives and since progesterone improves magnesium retention you may even get knocked out for a few hours.

Haidut, what are your thoughts about mixing mag. chloride + sodium bicarbonate ?? The OP didn't mention any doses but he said it produces lots of heat so I guess it boosts metabolism and/or uncouple the mithocondria ??? What do you think ?

It's possible, considering magnesium is thermogenic. If this combo improves magnesium absorption and retention, as well as elevated CO2 then it can result in improved circulation and higher temps. It probably depends on the individual's magnesium and CO2 levels. I personally do not get such effects from drinking MagBiCarb water, but I do get much much warmer with a pregnenolone + magnesium combo.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Attakai said:
Do you take the pregnenolone orally together with the magnesium?

I experiment with all kinds of administration routes, but as far as the magnesium experiment goes I did take it orally. I took 100mg pregnenolone and 1g magneisum oxide. Without the pregnenolone I would always get diarrhea from MagOx since it is not absorbed very well.

tara

Such_Saturation said:
post 89677
tara said:
Such_Saturation said:
Excess acid accumulation leads to oxygen deprivation and thus cell fermentation. Acid conditions lead to cell rot, another term for cancer.

Looks like he has it all figured out :lol:

As far as I know, this might be a reasonable summary. Excess acid implies deficiency in alkaline buffers/minerals. Excess acid seems to contribute to hyperventilation, which reduces CO2 and oxygen delivery, and therefore promotes fermation of sugars, which Warburg showed was key to cancer growth, and probably other mechanisms. Seems consistent with Peat (and RBTI)?

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/cancer-disorder-energy.shtml said:
Increasing carbon dioxide lowers the intracellular pH, as well as inhibiting lactic acid formation, and restoring the oxidation of glucose increases CO2. Inhibiting carbonic anhydrase, to allow more CO2 to stay in the cell, contributes to intracellular acidification, and by systemically increasing carbon dioxide this inhibition has a broad range of protective anti-excitatory effects. The drug industry is now looking for chemicals that will specifically inhibit the carbonic anhydrase enzymes that are active in tumors. Existing carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, such as acetazolamide, will inhibit those enzymes, without harming other tissues. Aspirin has some effect as an inhibitor of carbonic anhydrase (Bayram, et al., 2008). Since histamine, serotonin (Vullo, et al., 2007), and estrogen (Barnett, et al., 2008; Garg, 1975) are carbonic anhydrase activators, their antagonists would help to acidify the hypoxic cells. Testosterone (Suzuki, et al., 1996) and progesterone are estrogen antagonists that inhibit carbonic anhydrase.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/cancer-disorder-energy.shtml said:
The increased intracellular alkalinity and intracellular calcium that result from the combination of those factors increase the tendency of cells to be overstimulated, leading to aerobic glycolysis, the cancer metabolism. Improving any part of the system tends to increase carbon dioxide and decrease lactate, permitting differentiated functioning.

Hmm. I was thinking about intercellular pH, and haven't yet got my head around the intracellular relationships to my satisfaction.

There are distinctions, I guess, between how the acididty arises - CO2 or lactic acid or other, and how extreme it is - a little acidic is good, too much bad.

Makes sense to me that increasing CO2 is helpful and lowers lactic acid production. AFAIK the intercellular fluid is supposed to be somewhat acidic, so that's fine. But when it gets too acidic for whatever reason, eg high lactic acid production and deficiency in alkaline minerals (or maybe other things like sulphur or posphorus too?), that is a problem for basic functioning homeostasis. So then the body may act to bring the pH back into an acceptable range. If available, it can draw on alkaline buffers. If these are too depleted (eg dietary mineral deficiency and/or hypometabolic loss of minerals), then it can increase breathing rate or lower metabolism to reduce CO2 levels. Then when CO2 levels are lower, oxygen delivery suffers, leading to increased glycolysis and (circularly) more lactic acid, with the associated problems.

Too much calcium in the cells is a problem. But we do want sufficient Mg in there, right? Peat was talking about excess calcium in cells being problematic, not Mg, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sol Invictus

It worked for me in increasing temp/pulse, but a little too good. I ended up dehydrating myself a little too much and couldn't sleep properly.

ejalrp

You can also buy magnesium carbonate (not bicarbonate) but it likely doesn't breakdown into carbon dioxide but it's one more way to get your magnesium.

Parsifal

From Sircus blog:

Bicarbonate ion concentrations decrease the formation of acid by carbonic anhydrase enzyme (Le Chatelier’s principle). In the presence of magnesium and bicarbonate ions, less acid is produced by carbonic anhydrase enzyme.

Does this mean bicarbonate is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor? Ray seems to imply that more carbonic acid in cells is a good thing (because alcalosis of cells is bad and leads to aerobic glycolysis) but he also seems to imply that bicarbonate increases carbon dioxyde, so I wonder how all this work.

Holy ***t guys. Ive been having general hypothyroid problems lately like low body temps, bad constipation, and extremely achy joints. I had a bottle of magnesium bicarb water laying around that i haven't used in months. I dont recall having much benefit from it when i first used it, but i didnt take much. Well, today i thought maybe i should try supplementing magnesium because i havent done it in a long time. But this time I took 200mg of caffeine before i started drinking the bicarbonate. I think I ended up drinking maybe 8oz. I turned into a steam engine. My body hasn't produced this much heat in a long time. My hands are extremely warm with a thumping pulse. Pretty much all my hypothyroid symptoms greatly dimished in a matter of hours. The caffeine must have really promoted magnesium uptake...

A.R

Holy ***t guys. Ive been having general hypothyroid problems lately like low body temps, bad constipation, and extremely achy joints. I had a bottle of magnesium bicarb water laying around that i haven't used in months. I dont recall having much benefit from it when i first used it, but i didnt take much. Well, today i thought maybe i should try supplementing magnesium because i havent done it in a long time. But this time I took 200mg of caffeine before i started drinking the bicarbonate. I think I ended up drinking maybe 8oz. I turned into a steam engine. My body hasn't produced this much heat in a long time. My hands are extremely warm with a thumping pulse. Pretty much all my hypothyroid symptoms greatly dimished in a matter of hours. The caffeine must have really promoted magnesium uptake...
This is amazing news! Have you kept this protocol up?

chispas

I have been secretly hoping that one day the Dr Peat Opinions would intermingle with the Dr Siscus Opinions, and we'd all have a go at trying to make sense of it. So, so glad!

Cirion

Thread necro, but always nice to see confirming information. I read a success story with someone taking Epsom salts (magnesium) plus baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) baths every day. I just started doing this and will see what it does for me.

tankasnowgod

I don't think it's a good idea to take too much of Sodium Bicarbonate, so don't overdo it. Small amounts. In this case more would not be better. This should probably also not be done with kinds of Magnesium other than Chloride. I have no idea what compounds would result.

It would be just terrible if that Chloride got mixed with the Sodium.

LeeLemonoil

Magnesium acetate is cheap and has high content of elemental Mg. But hydroxide seems a bit safer.

@ghg you still drinking from that fountain of youth!

Frankdee20

I use the Magnesium solution from Cardiovascular Research. It supplies Chloride and acetate forms in deionized water. You can add it to bicarbonate water. I also use the glycinate, and malate/citrate forms from Pure Encapsulations.

invictus

Magnesium, in any form, energizes me, though never upregulated my metabolism. Per @haidut, I could add 100 mg pregnenolone or just add sodium bicarbonate to magnesium or, both. Morning, afternoon, night? My sleep has been poor for several years and I'm not looking to make it worse.

Inaut

I've ordered some mag hydroxide powder and plan on making a sodium/mag bicarbonate water drink for first thing in the morning and while i work out. Cant wait for the powder.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals