Would You Be Interested In A Casein Powder From Other Ruminants Other Than Cows?

Would you be interested in a casein powder from other ruminants other than cows?

• Ach, ja!

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Nicht, nicht.

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Amazoniac

There are various threads on the forum where people are after a clean and easily digestible source of protein without much success. Casein is a good option and can be quite helpful in recovery from diverse conditions.

Unfortunately most people don't have many options beyond the problematic cow's milk protein. Therefore having a convenient powdered casein as alternative makes sense.

Of course it's possible because you can find casein powders everywhere, so the facilities are available. Some freeze-dried products are already commercialized:
- Casein from goat milk C0536
- Casein from sheep milk C7164

It's then a matter of finding a reliable source and processing with care. The product must end up being more expensive than the usual prices, but this is already expected. In case the price becomes an issue, there should be alternatives as well: companies are probably willing to do something with their whey from cheese production, and perhaps 'whey cheese' (such as ricotta) still keeps a decent amino acid profile and reduces the price.

Before we spend some time figuring out what is best, to suggest the companies involved in this community, I wanted first to know if there are people interested on this. Votes are anonymous and not weighted based on GDP from your location or skin color from avatar pic.

Last edited:

Terma

Yes but only as a curiosity. I have a very good source of Goat's milk (pasteurized, no additives) and goat cheese (unpasteurized) and though I love the taste like I love the taste of crack it's only been marginally better feeling than shitty commercial cow products overall. I notice the day after I consume goat. Just joking, I've only eaten cocaine. Just joking.

There have been some brands of whey powder I did fine on so it would be nice to compare against affordable and reputable goat casein powder for a month or two.

That would decide whether I eschew dairy for life or not. I really wanted to love goat, but so far it doesn't love me enough to justify the cost of a date.

Terma

It's strange, I gave dairy all the chances in the world and I could poison myself to death eating aged goat cheese, but I still can't make it work, and I'm starting to feel like an idiot for trying this hard, you know?

Terma

The deep philosophical questions of life: "Should I eat dairy?" "Am I just a giant tool?"

Wagner83

It's strange, I gave dairy all the chances in the world and I could poison myself to death eating aged goat cheese, but I still can't make it work, and I'm starting to feel like an idiot for trying this hard, you know?
I stopped eating dairy and was surprised to notice upon trying my beloved feta cheese again that the exact same one I had enjoyed now tastes vile.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I really wanted to love goat, but so far it doesn't love me enough to justify the cost of a date.
@Goat-e - Could you amend this situation?

I stopped eating dairy and was surprised to notice upon trying my beloved feta cheese again that the exact same one I had enjoyed now tastes vile.
Wagner, I remember you commented somewhere on the foro about tongue coating from starches, but this is much more common with dairy and usually disappears when it's eliminated. Have you noticed changes in this regard as well?

--
From a purely practical level and to put the price in perspective:

- Fage 0% has 1 g of protein for every 10 g of product, so their 35.3 oz container provides about 50 g of protein.

- BulkSupplements sells a casein powder that provides 1 g of protein for every 1.15 g of product (the difference here is from incomplete processing: calcium phosphate, traces of fat and carbs, and so on), their 1 kg bag provides 850 g or so of protein and costs $26. 50 g of protein (which is what the container above provides) costs about $1.50.

Someone please check if these values are correct, but if you can find the 35.3 oz yogurt container for $5.50, powdered casein from other animals would have a big margin to increase the price still costing less when protein content is matched.

And given how suspicious dairy industry is and how some of these yogurts are processed, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it is possible to have a powdered casein that is of better quality and subjected to less stress in comparison to some of the commercial products on the shelves.

Last edited:

Wagner83

Wagner, I remember you commented somewhere on the foro about tongue coating from starches, but this is much more common with dairy and usually disappears when it's eliminated. Have you noticed changes in this regard as well?
All there, white/yellowish. I have to say I did some unusual things the past couple of days so will check again later on (huge amount of chocolate at once, kimchi, lentils).

nad

All there, white/yellowish. I have to say I did some unusual things the past couple of days so will check again later on (huge amount of chocolate at once, kimchi, lentils).
I remember RP make a slip in speaking in some clips, that this coating probably local problem and suggest some sort of sulfur (to rinse?)

nad

And do you think goat casein still have a lot of cooper, like goat milk?

Wagner83

I remember RP make a slip in speaking in some clips, that this coating probably local problem and suggest some sort of sulfur (to rinse?)
Ok, I 'm not sure why Peat would consider this one thing a local issue rather than related to digestion but it's intriguing.

And do you think goat casein still have a lot of cooper, like goat milk?
Are you suggesting that Bradley Cooper impregnates the majority of the goats in the US?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The dairy industry abuse the animals by feeding them crap for better yield and forcing unnatural cycles. But for animals not being fed feed, it might be possible to decrease the price of a product by choosing an animal that produces more milk (this must be one of the reasons for the popularity of cows), but I don't know if it would demand more from digestion. Am I hallucinating?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The interest so far is beyond what I predicted.

If people are ok with powdered milk consumption, I can't imagine a lot of objection against powdered casein.

Regarding the price per bag, it has to be reasonable, but we can't expect it to be the same as the commercial brands on the market (such as the previous €$22.5/kg, or US$26.0/kg for the oppressed minority outside of Netherlands) if we're after a rarer milk, better treatment of the animals and gentler processing.

1 kg bag/30 days gives you ~35 g of product/day. It shouldn't contain a lot of impurities, therefore 30-35 g of protein in addition to what diet provides must be enough for most people.
Getting the same amount of protein from strained yogurt costs €$80/month. The comparison is somewhat unfair, but it's for perspective.

@Dan Wich, given your experience with supplements, I'm curious about your opinion on this. Do you think it's worth it? No need to measure your words if you don't.

@healthnatura @LifeGivingStore
Is the guy that copies Zeus' supplements also a member?

Last edited:

Dan W

@Dan Wich, given your experience with supplements, I'm curious about your opinion on this. Do you think it's worth it?
I half expected to find some horrible industrial processing technique behind it, but skimming this makes it seem ok to me. Although Peat will often have some interesting objection to a process that you never would have thought of on your own...

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I half expected to find some horrible industrial processing technique behind it, but skimming this makes it seem ok to me. Although Peat will often have some interesting objection to a process that you never would have thought of on your own...
Thanks. That's true, but in contrast to being overcautious with industrial processes, he'd probably disregard the common reactions that people have to cow's casein. I doubt that low-grade inflammation doesn't deserve the same consideration.

But what about the B-casomorphins? And doesn't casein alone promote cancer growth? The later can be remedied by adding some whey when using the casein powder, but what about the former issue?Am I missing something?