How Do Followers Of Ray Peat Take Care Of Their Skin?

Lyn

What type of zinc?

Haha exactly!!! I started using hot water and a facecloth in my teens and tried to convince all my friends who were doing the ProAcvtive acid face phase and having terrible skin problems!
What type of zinc?

Haha exactly!!! I started using hot water and a facecloth in my teens and tried to convince all my friends who were doing the ProAcvtive acid face phase and having terrible skin problems!
You got smart sooner than I did. :):

dreamcatcher

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for dealing with blackheads? This has always been my only real skin problem
My beauty therapist said, if you keep your skin well hydrated and moisturized, you will have less blackheads and congestion.

dreamcatcher

Just the basics with a lower fat diet, nuts and higher fat foods tend to flare me up more.

1. Dove unscented beauty bar (sometimes use with a more coarse face cloth to derma).

2. St. Ives acne scrub (with SA) has an effective level of dermabrasion to actually get into the pore, but still gentle enough, doesn't dry me out.

3. Cerave Baby lotion day (T-zone issues, works amazing) alternating with Ponds firming day cream on dry days and no name vitamin A night cream. I've been dealing with transition skin since hitting my mid 30's, less is more, I avoid nuts, high fat dairy and meat when flaring, as I noticed a direct correlation to sluggish digestion.
The flare up is more likely caused by insulin resistance.

OP
C

Carina

I feel like they don't want people to have normal skin when they suggest to not allow bad skin in the sun. Thus leaving the person often in a worsening condition -- it's sick really.
I've been thinking the same way too. It seems like they don't want people to have normal skin, so they suggest a bunch of products and tell you to stay out of the sun. They'll recommend people to eat "health fats"(PUFAs) to slow down aging skin, but tell you that the sun ages you and sugar causes acne and premature aging. Well yeah, the sun will age you if you're sunbathing nonstop and from eating PUFAs. The sunspots you get from PUFAs, they'll tell you to used an acid and sunscreen.

The sun makes my skin shed off dead skin cells and and gives me wonderful brand now skin like no other product I've ever used. Also staying away from sugar makes my skin age rapidly.

Before there was a huge market for skincare and before all of this anti sun and anti sugar nonsense, people didn't struggle with acne nearly as much as people do today.

baccheion

I've been thinking the same way too. It seems like they don't want people to have normal skin, so they suggest a bunch of products and tell you to stay out of the sun. They'll recommend people to eat "health fats"(PUFAs) to slow down aging skin, but tell you that the sun ages you and sugar causes acne and premature aging. Well yeah, the sun will age you if you're sunbathing nonstop and from eating PUFAs. The sunspots you get from PUFAs, they'll tell you to used an acid and sunscreen.

The sun makes my skin shed off dead skin cells and and gives me wonderful brand now skin like no other product I've ever used. Also staying away from sugar makes my skin age rapidly.

Before there was a huge market for skincare and before all of this anti sun and anti sugar nonsense, people didn't struggle with acne nearly as much as people do today.
I suspect many struggle with acne, even during puberty, due to vitamin D and magnesium deficiencies.

OP
C

Carina

I suspect many struggle with acne, even during puberty, due to vitamin D and magnesium deficiencies.
I can see that. Kids around puberty stay inside a lot more, especially in this day and age. When you have acne you want to stay indoors and hide. That doesn't exactly help the problem. Also most people don't get enough magnesium.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

It's only because the scientific studies are flawed and companies making beauty products depend on that information. Plus all this vegan influence.

OP
C

Carina

It's only because the scientific studies are flawed and companies making beauty products depend on that information. Plus all this vegan influence.
I'm well aware that scientific studies are flawed, and people makes tons of money being misinformed and misinforming other people. I'm against new ageism, so the vegan influence in the beauty industry really turns me off. I've done most new age stuff and it's trash. It backfires on me just like the beauty industry.

dreamcatcher

I'm well aware that scientific studies are flawed, and people makes tons of money being misinformed and misinforming other people. I'm against new ageism, so the vegan influence in the beauty industry really turns me off. I've done most new age stuff and it's trash. It backfires on me just like the beauty industry.
So let's not care about them:)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So let's not care about them:)
Yep, It seems like the common denominator is to keep people weak and so obsessed with appearance (because we don't look like airbrushed celebrities) that we don't get anything meaningful done in life. Learned helplessness at its finest.

OP
C

Carina

Yep, It seems like the common denominator is to keep people weak and so obsessed with appearance (because we don't look like airbrushed celebrities) that we don't get anything meaningful done in life. Learned helplessness at its finest.
Yup, we don't have teams of people dedicated to our looks and I wouldn't want that, even if I had the option to do so. It would make me feel like crap thinking that I need a group of people, special lighting, and computer programs to make me look good.

Going out in the sun, enjoying your day and creating experiences with someone you care about while not worrying about the way you look is the ultimate for me

OP
C

Carina

Update: I've cleared up my skin by washing with water and a washcloth and taking a gram of aspirin at night. My face always looks more attractive when I take a gram of aspirin, so in a way that's been reducing my stress because I'm no longer worrying about my acne and my face. Ugh! A vicious cycle. Anyway, even my back looks smoother and my bacne is starting to clear up.

teds

Forum Supporter
Update: I've cleared up my skin by washing with water and a washcloth and taking a gram of aspirin at night. My face always looks more attractive when I take a gram of aspirin, so in a way that's been reducing my stress because I'm no longer worrying about my acne and my face. Ugh! A vicious cycle. Anyway, even my back looks smoother and my bacne is starting to clear up.

A gram of aspirin.. all at once or spread out? Assume you’re taking it orally and not topical application?

OP
C

Carina

A gram of aspirin.. all at once or spread out? Assume you’re taking it orally and not topical application?
Orally all at once. I take it with fruit juice and gelatin, so it's digested in the stomach.

Redshine

Mm I hated my skin in my teens I have ginger hair and the freckles that belong with that. Also I used a very harsh regime I wanted those beautiful and pale skin. What didnt help either was that in the media red hair became more popular but freckles were lasered.. Now I'm in my 20ies and regret what i did to my skin it was way to harsh and the freckles arent that bad, they belong to me. Actually man never said anything bad about it, girls on the other hand.. What I did notice is that eating a bit different and a lot healthier my skin doesnt burn anymore and it is more "glowy" (yes even with my light skintone) I quit cold turkey with those skincare routines and it was bad my skin was dry and I felt it really had to give it time to heal and let to take care of its own. It can make youre skin go lazy to moisturise it with creme instead letting to do it by itself. Maybe I will take notice of some of the tips given in this thread but I will not go back to the old days anymore.

OP
C

Carina

Mm I hated my skin in my teens I have ginger hair and the freckles that belong with that. Also I used a very harsh regime I wanted those beautiful and pale skin. What didnt help either was that in the media red hair became more popular but freckles were lasered.. Now I'm in my 20ies and regret what i did to my skin it was way to harsh and the freckles arent that bad, they belong to me. Actually man never said anything bad about it, girls on the other hand.. What I did notice is that eating a bit different and a lot healthier my skin doesnt burn anymore and it is more "glowy" (yes even with my light skintone) I quit cold turkey with those skincare routines and it was bad my skin was dry and I felt it really had to give it time to heal and let to take care of its own. It can make youre skin go lazy to moisturise it with creme instead letting to do it by itself. Maybe I will take notice of some of the tips given in this thread but I will not go back to the old days anymore.
Men tend to not care about little like freckles on your face, but women are very critical of each other because they compete against each other and secretly hate each other because of that. My skin doesn't burn when I go outside anymore either. I used to avoid the sun like the plague because I would burn and get brown spots on my face easily, but now that stuff doesn't happen anymore. I noticed when I was doing an intensive skincare routine, that my skin got drier and drier and required more products as time went on because it was getting lazy. My skin is more luminous on its own when I only wash my face with water and a washcloth. You skin will be dry for a week or two because it's used to being lazy, but it'll learn to moisturize itself again.

Luann

I use glycerin a lot and try to keep soaps off of my face and skin. When I used a silicone makeup primer, I would break out, but now that I just use powders I don't have an issue. Conditioners and makeup foundation can be based on silicones too if you buy certain brands.

LeeLemonoil

I mix my own skincare ltoins and serums or add actives to existsing sensibly made products, but I never used Glycine as an ingredient before. Somehow I doubted its ability to go through the keratic layer.

Well it does penetrate. And it seems a logical addition given its role in collagen-metabolism and most importantly, mitochonrial function.

Hugh Johnson

Freckles are cute, and even girls with their face completely covered by them can be really cute.

LeeLemonoil

100mg oral GABA increases Elastin in the facial skin, a parameter that most skincare options hardly affect or ony secondarily, while it i an important factor in facial look.
What an intriguing find about GABA also apart from skin effects. I wonder if topical GABA would be even more effective. @haidut this might interest you too

QUOTE="LeeLemonoil, post: 411266, member: 4757"]It seems GABA promotes elastin-formation. A very rare and sought after effect in cosmetics:

GABA promotes elastin synthesis and elastin fiber formation in normal human dermal fibroblasts (HDFs). - PubMed - NCBI

100 mg oraly only!:

https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.res..._of_Oral_Administration_of_GABA_in_Humans/amp[/QUOTE]

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals