Sleepovation "700 Tiny Mattresses" Getting Good Reviews - Worth It?

A.R

Have you tried sleeping on just the floor without any mattress?

I've found it personally helpful for back pain

DesertRat

Quite similar to the "molle type mattresses they have in Italy with lots of tiny individual steel coils. I find them very comfortable, much more so than foam.

InChristAlone

When would humans ever had access to such a thing?! New technology doesn't mean it will be better. You want the spine to realign. Sleeping on harder surface does this better. At least that's what I have found. I sleep on a 3 inch futon. There is no pressure point alleviation but gives feedback.

L

lollipop

Quite similar to the "molle type mattresses they have in Italy with lots of tiny individual steel coils. I find them very comfortable, much more so than foam.
+1 independent springs/coils is the way to go.

L

lollipop

When would humans ever had access to such a thing?! New technology doesn't mean it will be better. You want the spine to realign. Sleeping on harder surface does this better. At least that's what I have found. I sleep on a 3 inch futon. There is no pressure point alleviation but gives feedback.
I currently sleep on a 1 inch cotton shiatsu mat probably like a futon. SUPER comfortable and even great feedback like you said. If someone wants a mattress the independent spring/coils firm is awesome and also gives excellent support like the floor.

InChristAlone

Isn't your implication an appeal to nature fallacy? :P
Yes haha and was waiting for someone to say that. But there are certain things I think nature does best. Like birthing and raising young naturally.

InChristAlone

@Janelle525 how long did it take for you to adjust to floor sleep? If I attempt, should I expect a week+ of adaptation time?

Do you sleep on your side or back, on the floor?
Yes there will be an adjustment period. You may feel more achey at first. I ended up getting a tuft n needle foam mattress but I put my hard futon on top of it so it's still pretty hard. Back sleeping is best for hard surfaces but I mostly slept on my side side/stomach.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

Yes there will be an adjustment period. You may feel more achey at first. I ended up getting a tuft n needle foam mattress but I put my hard futon on top of it so it's still pretty hard. Back sleeping is best for hard surfaces but I mostly slept on my side side/stomach.
Ok. Im going to start adjusting tonight - 1 inch latex foam on the floor, pillow under knees and neck.

Cirion

Being a veteran of back pain myself (and finally beaten it) I have determined back pain for the most part is simply due to too much built up chronic stress/inflammation in the body and that searching too hard for the perfect mattress won't really do that much for you (I've done the whole sleeping on the whole floor thing, bah, I don't like it lol). More results will be seen in alleviating back pain by reducing stress in every day life through environment and dietary changes, as well as just enough rest in general. It took me 2 years of taking it easy after I had abused my body from extreme power lifting to finally get rid of the pain.

Personally the only way I'd recommend sleeping on the floor is if you are outside in nature, because then you can get the benefits of "Earthing", which you are not going to get by chilling out on your carpet in your house, so there's really not much point to it. If you really want to get "earthing" benefits you're better off buying an earthing mat.

All that said I personally like foam mattresses, I have a helix that I have been using for a couple years now. I do like the firmer ones though. I don't think soft mattresses are beneficial for back pain in my experience.

Last edited:

Cirion

Ahh, I made the assumption you had back pain when I saw the title of the link you posted.

OP
Y

YourUniverse

After 1 night on floor (1 inch latex, pillow under neck):
  • tired
  • woke up before alarm
  • deeper voice
  • feel extremely calm, despite sleepy (not a tired-but-wired feeling)
  • back feels amazing. In fact, I can breathe more deeply, more easily.
Excited to keep going.

I think the magic of floor-sleep is in enabling your bones, instead of your soft tissues, to support your body. Your soft tissues get to relax, and the initial adjustment is in learning to get your muscles to "surrender" into relaxing, whereas soft beds surrender unto you - your muscles don't fully let go as a result.

It's less comfortable, but feels more rejuvenative. Good trade, so far!

ken

The world sure is a funny place, when I looked at the web site posted, I found it featured an endorsement from Kevin Knox "a NBA star for the NY Knicks". Kevin Knox was a 19 year old rookie last year and statistically one of the worse basketball players in the league.

PhilParma

The world sure is a funny place, when I looked at the web site posted, I found it featured an endorsement from Kevin Knox "a NBA star for the NY Knicks". Kevin Knox was a 19 year old rookie last year and statistically one of the worse basketball players in the league.
Setting aside my opinion that his rookie stats actually look pretty good, the fact that he was a lottery draft pick in the best basketball league in the world is extremely impressive. Maybe a top .001% athlete in the world. Not that I care about his thoughts on mattress technology or anything.

ken

I think he could be good too. But another of my vices is reading the Knickerblogger website, and the statheads are very down on him. Very low shooting percentage, no defense, poor rebounding etc.

PhilParma

I think he could be good too. But another of my vices is reading the Knickerblogger website, and the statheads are very down on him. Very low shooting percentage, no defense, poor rebounding etc.
Oh ok, I didn't look at his advanced stats. Maybe he'll suck, but 12.8 is pretty good for a rookie as far as PPG goes. BUT LET'S FOCUS ON MATTRESSES :sleeping

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals