Introducing Me

ampersand

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for a while, and probably won't post much or at all after this... just wanted to introduce myself just in case I end up having a question or something later.

What's your age? 40, female

How did you find the forum? Have been familiar with Ray Peat's articles for years, but came here via Matt Stone, youreatopia, etc.

How did you find Ray Peat's work? Can't remember when I first came across his articles.

How long have you been Peating? I'm not exactly Peating. Just started on Progest-E, about 5-8 doses daily of 2-4 drops each (hard to guage size). I'm currently on day 5.

What is your favorite part about Peating? The science and attention to hormones and metabolism.

What is the worst part? Orthorexia

What are your health issues? Eczema from childhood on, but mainly from age 14 on. Infertility, endometriosis, recently diagnosed cervical displasia, fatigue, hair loss, mild acne, spider veins, dental problems, salivary gland stones, mild melasma, currently overweight.

What does your diet consist of? I'm currently working at overcoming Orthorexia. In my late teens I wanted to cure my eczema and started on a Natural Hygiene Diet after reading the Diamonds' book Fit For Life. That progressed into veganism for several years. I also tried anti-Candida and low carb diets, wheat-free diets, Macrobiotic, Paleo, raw foods, juice fasts, water fasts, and then settled on WAPF for over a decade. For the last 2.5 years I've been trying Re-Feeding as per Gwyneth Olwyn's and Matt Stone's recommendations. This mainly consisted of around 8 months to a year of really eating quite a bit throughout each day without restricting any foods (other than the fact that my intake of PUFA's was not super high due to decades of being used to preparing mainly whole foods at home and using butter and coconut oil instead of vegetable oils). Doing this I gained 50lbs in 6 months. My weight then stabilized at around 200 lbs and has mainly stayed there without going up or down much. After around 8 months to a year of ReFeeding I lost my appetite somewhat and slipped back into my old habit of hardly eating anything between waking and late afternoon/evening. Around 4-7 pm my appetite wakes up and I get hungry and eat a big supper. I'm hoping the progest-e will help normalize my appetite. I have a tendency to live in my head and not notice that my body is hungry. Also, being low energy makes preparing meals seem like a huge chore. I think I always had this tendency and have always been able to go long periods between meals without feeling any immediate adverse effects. If I was busy with a project, a 24 hour fast was very easy for me and still is. I really need to work hard at eating regularly and frequently. I've been somewhat unintentionally doing intermittent fasting for more than 15 years, since my eating habits are so irregular. (Although it started out intentional, in my teens and early 20's I consciously resisted eating in the mornings (natural hygiene) or put off eating for as long as possible (to be as skinny as possible and in hopes of having nicer skin). I think at some point this got easier and easier to do until it became a deeply ingrained habit.)

I eat red meat around 4-5 times a week, mainly hormone and antibiotic-free beef or else wild venison. Chicken 2-3 times per week. White rice or potatoes almost every day. Good quality chocolate, good quality ice cream, fruit, moderate vegetables. 1-2 cups coffee daily with heavy cream, raw milk and raw honey. Some raw cheese on occasion. Eggs 2-3 times per week. Brown cow cream on top organic yogurts, 3-5 times per week. I add Great Lakes gelatin to a lot of things that I cook (rice or sauces or soups) and use a ton of butter and coconut oil. I drink a glass of raw milk, probably around 4-5 times per week. I would do it more often but forget. It's like I go all day forgetting about eating or drinking because I'm wrapped up in reading or work, and then when I finally "wake up" about eating late in the day, it's like there's too little time left to fit in all the things I think I should be eating. I generally drink 1 Mexican coke per day, with a squeeze of lemon because I like how it tastes better that way. A glass of apple cider 4-5 times per week. I don't drink a lot. I've NEVER restricted salt and have always used it pretty liberally. Sea salt, Himalayan salt and occasionally regular iodized salt when eating out or whatever. Also I go through phases of making sourdough bread at home. Those are all the things I eat most regularly, but I've been eating more processed and restaurant foods in the last few years in an attempt to introduce more variety and stimulate my appetite.

Before re-feeding and adding a lot of sugar and carbs and processed foods to my diet I was eating mainly a WAPF diet very high in saturated fats like butter, coconut oil and fats from meats. I was slender (not underweight), but I was consistently undereating/going for long periods between meals and my weight was very slowly and gradually creeping up. I developed severe chronic back pain due to degenerative disc disease. I started re-feeding in an attempt to cure my infertility, which didn't happen, but lo and behold, the refeeding cured my back problems.

My endometriosis is the most likely cause of my infertility. I started trying to conceive at the age of 30. My cycles were regular and normal, all the fertility signs were there, doctors said I was ovulating normally and had good egg reserves, hormones were all within normal range. Laproscopic surgery revealed severe endometriosis (although it never bothered me in terms of symptoms like pain or PMS).

I had a saliva hormone test done after I'd been refeeding for about 5 months and my hormones were all within normal range aside from a low progesteron:estradiol ratio, low cortisol in the afternoon and evenings, and very high DHEA-S for my age. My DHEA-S levels were more like what you'd see in an 18 yr old, even though I was 38 at the time. I don't put too much stock in these test results though, since I was in the oedema stage of refeeding (those of you who are familiar with youreatopia will know what I mean) and would have expected my hormones to be in some sort of transition at the time. I should probably get them retested again now. I suspect that if the high DHEA-S wasn't just some kind of fluke then it probably accounts for my mild acne and hair loss.

I am interested to see what kind of effect the Progest-e will have.

tara

:welcome ampersand

Hope the progest-e works for you.

OP
ampersand

ampersand

Thank you tara! I've been following a lot of your posts, so I feel like I know you a little...
so far the progest-e is working pretty well for me. A bad patch of eczema on my thigh seems to be healing much faster and better than I ever had eczema heal before. I'm on day 7 of the initial high dose protocol.

The first couple days I felt pretty ill and very tired. Now I'm starting to feel a lot better but notice my emotional stress tolerance is pretty low - but I also had a huge deadline for work today so that's not completely out of the blue.

I think after the initial 10 days I'll go down to two 3-drop doses daily for a month and then after 1 month start using it 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off.

BTW I started my first dose of progest-e last Tuesday evening a couple days before my period was supposed to be due but I started bleeding the next day, and had a normal period despite large doses of progest-e throughout each day. It all went very easy and the bleeding lasted 3 days. I don't usually get PMS or have serious menstrual problems, but this period was particularly easy and symptom-free, and shorter than my usual ones while still appearing normal and healthy.

tara

That looks like a reasonable plan to me.
I took at least 5x3 drops continuously for more than a year, and kept menstruating. I was slack about tracking timing, but it was a bit erratic - possibly I was a bit erratic with dosing some days, and the falling level of progest-e might be what triggered the menstruation. When I started, I was planning to do cyclical dosing, but my period came before I expected while I was taking the progest-e, and then I never wanted to stop because I liked the effects. The last few months I've been down to 3 drops twice a day continuously, still menstruating (I'm around 50y).

OP
ampersand

ampersand

Very interesting!

A lot of the women in my family had children in their 40s, my mom was in her 40s when I was born, so I'm still hoping there's a chance that I might be able to conceive... so that's the main focus of my progest-e experimentation. After reading more here I'm also thinking I should maybe add daily aspirin.

tara

I had my kids in my 40s, too. No fertility issues earlier that I'm aware of, just wasn't ready to do it any younger.
Good luck. I don't know much about endometriosis, but there's a chance progest-e will make a real difference.

OP
ampersand

ampersand

Currently on day 18 of Progest-e...started out with 10 days of 5-7 doses per day, around 3-5 drops at a time, mostly rubbed into gums but occasionally topically on various areas of skin.

Then on days 11-15 I took two doses per day, on day 16 I started 3 doses per day, around 5 drops in the morning and then around 3 drops midday and around 2 drops in the evening. I would have started 3 doses on day 15 but I was out all day and didn't take the bottle with me.

Yesterday and today I noticed sore nipples, and I've had fatigue throughout the experiment, most severely the first 3 days.

tara

ampersand said:
Currently on day 18 of Progest-e...started out with 10 days of 5-7 doses per day, around 3-5 drops at a time, mostly rubbed into gums but occasionally topically on various areas of skin.

Then on days 11-15 I took two doses per day, on day 16 I started 3 doses per day, around 5 drops in the morning and then around 3 drops midday and around 2 drops in the evening. I would have started 3 doses on day 15 but I was out all day and didn't take the bottle with me.

Yesterday and today I noticed sore nipples, and I've had fatigue throughout the experiment, most severely the first 3 days.

Hi ampersand,
Have you been able to sleep enough when you've felt fatigued? Sometimes anti-stress tactics can leave us feeling tired if we were runningon stress a lot before hand to keep us going.

OP
ampersand

ampersand

Hi Tara! Yes I have been able to sleep in as late as I need to most days, usually get to bed by 10pm but am working on making that earlier. I usually get around 9-10 hours of sleep, sometimes even more.

I'm worried that I'm still under-eating, I have a hard time getting anything other than coffee into me before noon, although I at least have the coffee with raw milk, heavy cream, salt and honey. I'm really hoping the progesterone has an appetite stimulating effect.

Does it make sense that Progest-e would cause a rise in prolactin after 16 days of quite high doses? Or, more accurately, after 10 days of high doses and then a drop to lower doses? I'm curious about the nipple soreness, it's not something I've ever had before, whereas the fatigue is not really very unusual for me. I have taken a few aspirin and a few doses of niacinimide, but most days I don't take either of those, and I have not been doing the carrots or getting much caffeine (1 coffee and 1 coke per day usually). I have been getting out in the sun on sunny days, but we've had a lot of rainy days lately.

I'm also debating whether or not to keep up with the progesterone continuously for a while or switch to two weeks on and two weeks off. I think I'll keep going continuously and see if I still get my period even while taking the progesterone. If I don't get my period, I wonder if it would be beneficial to continue progesterone anyway, simulating pregnancy, in hopes of curing my endo.

I've never missed a period in my life, since puberty.

I will keep posting updates if anything interesting happens, just in case it may be useful to anyone else...we are all self-experimenting and it's quite nice to have all these logs of our experiences.

BTW Tara, thanks for responding to my posts, I know they are quite boring, so I thank you for your interest and hospitality!

OP
ampersand

ampersand

I've been searching for info here on bag breathing, etc. and various people have mentioned Buteyko breathing. I am only a little familiar with the concept.

During my time following Matt Stone and youreatopia, I didn't exercise at all. Two years of not exercising, plus 50 extra lbs of weight, resulted in me frequently getting out of breath even with minimal activity. After reading something here about how long one can hold one's breath after exhaling, I tried it and found I can only hold my breath for about 10 seconds after exhaling. Should I be concerned about this?

Is anyone aware of any links you could send me to learn more?

I've recently started walking, around 1-4 miles a day, not too strenuously, just to get circulation moving and get sun on my skin. As soon as I start feeling out of breath I stop and rest a minute.

Thank you for your help!

tara

I learned about Buteyko mostly from here:
http://www.normalbreathing.com/learn.php
though the site has changed a bit since then.
They say control pause of 10sec corresponds to pretty unwell. Mine is like that to, and sometimes worse.
They reckon over 25 sec is good.
I got improvements by retraining nasal and diaphragmatic breathing, and practising breathing exercises occasionally eg waiting at the lights etc, but did not persist with a lot of the more time consuming training.
If you habitually mouth or chest breath, I'd really recommend trying either tape or a chin strap to keep your mouth closed while you sleep (and doing it consciously during the day), and a belt around the chest for an hour or so a few times to activate the diaphragm muscles.
I think diet affects breathing too, and I think adding more calcium, magnesium and sugar to my diet has helped, too.
I would not follow Rakhimov's advice eat fish oil.

tara

There's a video of Peat talking about CO2 to a Buteyko group, which I found really interesting, too.

OP
ampersand

ampersand

Oh thanks! I'll look for that video. I don't mouth breath, so my poor control pause must have some other cause. Perhaps from the years of under-eating.

OP
ampersand

ampersand

Is it weird that I'm taking 250-400 mg of progesterone daily and still getting a regular menstrual cycle? There are other women here who have experienced this as well, right?

Since beginning progesterone I think certain estrogen symptoms have increased: pigment spots like freckles, moles and age spots, little red dots on the skin in particular.

Peata

Hi, ampersand, I'm wondering how things are going for you now?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals