Anyone Does Super High Doses Of B1?

thegiantess

Just curious if anyone has dosed super high with thiamine (for any reason)... I was looking at a few posts around here and thought I might experiment. I know @haidut mentioned he takes 1500mg (holy crap that's a lot!) before drinking. Anyone else experimented? What was the result?

Tarmander

I take between 400-800mg every morning. To be honest I don't even notice anything anymore. I used to notice signs of increased CO2 but I think that has become the norm for me. When i first started taking it I would notice being kind of depressed for a couple hours afterwards. I have come to the conclusion that you can basically take as much b1 as you want/can afford.

OP
thegiantess

thegiantess

I take between 400-800mg every morning. To be honest I don't even notice anything anymore. I used to notice signs of increased CO2 but I think that has become the norm for me. When i first started taking it I would notice being kind of depressed for a couple hours afterwards. I have come to the conclusion that you can basically take as much b1 as you want/can afford.
Depressed?! Why would that be?

tankasnowgod

I did do a high dose B1 experiment previously, and didn't notice anything, and I am experimenting again, and seem to be getting good results. Now, more details-

The first time, I was trying to mimic Haidut's doses of 1,500 mg a couple times a day to increase CO2. While I didn't directly measure, I didn't notice any changes, positive or negative. I realized fairly late into the experiment that I was using the mononitrate form, and most of the testimonials here (and experiments on pubmed) use either HCL or the Allithiamine form. Not a lot of info on mononitrate, other than sites like Livestrong saying it's "bad" because it's fat soluble.

I now have some of the HCL form, but have been working up the dose. Similar to Betaine, Taurine, and Digestive Enzyme supplements, it can affect you digestion (that would be the HCL). I took a 500 mg tablet a couple times, and had some mild nausea. Not awful, but not pleasant, either. My solution was to get a lower dose (also have some 300mg tabs now), and only take it with calcium (usually dairy, but I've done eggshell a couple times). In fact, I think taking Thiamine HCL could help enhance digestion of calcium.

It's been about a week, and I am currently taking about 600-900mg in divided doses. I have noticed some better energy, better mood, better sleep, and I have been tackling problems and projects that I have let slide over the past few months. However, I also added Riboflavin (200mg) and niacinamide (1500mg) at the same time. I'm also taking biotin (20mg).

I mention these because some have similar or synergestic effects. B1 and B2 are both needed to deactivate estrogen. B1 and Biotin are both supposed to reduce ammonia (I'm using taurine as well, which is also supposed to help prevent ammonia from forming). Riboflavin is an endotoxin antagonist. I believe Biotin and B1 both increase ATP and CO2. Niacinamide is also supposed to be anti-estrogenic, and supposed to boost NAD+ and the NAD+/NADH ratio.

Whatever the mechanism, this combo is certainly having a positive effect physically and mentally. I plan to move Thiamine up slowly.

chispas

Any time I sense a cold coming on, I do 1g B1 (nitrate or HCL form doesn't matter to me, same results), with 1g aspirin and 10g taurine. Makes sore throats disappear.

If symptoms persist, I just repeat the B1 up to a maximum of 3g a day. I think 5g is the upper daily limit.

I've also used over the counter antihistamine instead of the taurine, which is sometimes very fast acting.

This is the only time I really rely on B1. I call it my cure for the common cold!

Tarmander

Any time I sense a cold coming on, I do 1g B1 (nitrate or HCL form doesn't matter to me, same results), with 1g aspirin and 10g taurine. Makes sore throats disappear.

If symptoms persist, I just repeat the B1 up to a maximum of 3g a day. I think 5g is the upper daily limit.

I've also used over the counter antihistamine instead of the taurine, which is sometimes very fast acting.

This is the only time I really rely on B1. I call it my cure for the common cold!

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

nikotrope

I have used B1 for the past 2 months and it clearly improved a lot of things, but it also increased my requirements of electrolytes and calories. If I don't take enough salt, magnesium, potassium, calcium, my health returns to my pre-B1 state.

CrystalClear

Your comments are very interesting. I am just experimenting as a newbie to "Peating" - a few months - I thought I would try some B1. I took one 100 mg without noticing anything. Next day, I took two - nothing noticeable. Took 3 today and ended up weeping and could not stop until I had some salty lamb soup with gelatin in it. I felt better after that. I suffer from some pretty bad fatigue and very low mood. Not having much luck shifting them so far. I intend to keep experimenting though.

D

Deleted member 5487

Was just googling this. Felt seriously down a few hours later.

Johnathan5544

I took 8g or so a day for a while. Didn't help but then most things don't for me. It causes increased urinary excretion of other b vitamins so best to take it with a whole food b supplement like yeast or rice bran. Or look foods high in b1 and eat lots of them. Rice bran or yeast will be near the top. There are genetic diseases of b1, and they give 10g or so a day in two divided doses for them.