Boiled And Mashed Potato

Inaut

I boil my potatoes in an instant pot on high pressure for 20 minutes. Strain the water then add butter, cottage cheese, milk, then mash. It's almost a full meal with some fruit juice or cola to drink. I could probably live off this combo if i needed to

Kartoffel

I boil my potatoes in an instant pot on high pressure for 20 minutes. Strain the water then add butter, cottage cheese, milk, then mash. It's almost a full meal with some fruit juice or cola to drink. I could probably live off this combo if i needed to

I often have the same meal. Adding a little bit of nutmeg to the mashed potatos makes the stuff even more delicious

michael94

Instant potato flakes are good, maybe not as healthful as what you guys make but they do have 0% iron strangely enough

Wagner83

How do you feel about nuking them?

Your potato toppings. Do you do salsas, and which brand? Salt is all I need but I wanna switch it up
Coconut milk, coriander on top of them while they are cooked, at the end of cooking a bit of fresh oregano, turmeric, mushrooms, lightly fried onions and good ketchup if you tolerate them.

D

Deleted member 5487

Coconut milk, coriander on top of them while they are cooked, at the end of cooking a bit of fresh oregano, turmeric, mushrooms, lightly fried onions and good ketchup if you tolerate them.

spices and mushrooms sound tasty.

Will try

Wagner83

Coconut milk shouldn't be underestimated, it adds a lot of taste, liquid (which can be good for potatoes) without too much fat and the type if fat isn't likely to be an issue anyway.
spices and mushrooms sound tasty.

Will try

Jennifer

Coconut milk shouldn't be underestimated
I agree! Coconut milk is awesome in potatoes/sweet potatoes. Some maple syrup, too. The white Japanese sweet potatoes mashed with some garlic powder, ginger powder, salt and coconut cream was a favorite of mine. I could eat bowls of that stuff. So good!

cyclops

Are nutrients lost when boiling potatoes though? It is common to make broth from other vegetables and discard the plant matter while keeping the nutrient dense broth. I wonder if boiling potatoes is similar and allot of the nutrients wind up in the water, which is thrown away if not making broth. I sometimes think of baking them, but I like the texture better when boiled.

Jennifer

@cyclops — I do believe there is some nutrient loss based on the flavor difference between potatoes baked in their jackets and ones that are boiled. Have you ever tried steaming them? That's how I prepared mine, back when I was still consuming them. I found that they retained their flavor like when baked, but had that boiled texture.

cyclops

@cyclops — I do believe there is some nutrient loss based on the flavor difference between potatoes baked in their jackets and ones that are boiled. Have you ever tried steaming them? That's how I prepared mine, back when I was still consuming them. I found that they retained their flavor like when baked, but had that boiled texture.

No, I actually have never steam cooked anything before. You need a steam basket or something specially made for steaming right? Can't just do it with what you have laying around the house?

Jennifer

No, I actually have never steam cooked anything before. You need a steam basket or something specially made for steaming right? Can't just do it with what you have laying around the house?
I steamed mine in a steaming pot, but I've also used a steel mesh colander suspended in a large pot (with a lid) of water. You may even be able to do it in a type of water bath in the oven if you have a deep enough oven safe dish like Pyrex. That's how I cook my kabocha squash.

tara

Are nutrients lost when boiling potatoes though? It is common to make broth from other vegetables and discard the plant matter while keeping the nutrient dense broth. I wonder if boiling potatoes is similar and allot of the nutrients wind up in the water, which is thrown away if not making broth. I sometimes think of baking them, but I like the texture better when boiled.
I use the potato broth too. Along with broth from other cooked veges, and sometimes from meat.

cyclops

I use the potato broth too. Along with broth from other cooked veges, and sometimes from meat.

I used to throw potatoes in when making broth, but I find they fall apart and make the broth to starchy for my personal preference. Maybe I'll just take them out a bit earlier though. Not sure if it will still make the broth a bit too thick for my liking, will have to try it out.

mmartian

I've been really focusing on soft, boiled gelatinized starch, and I'm having an issue with boiled russet/yellow potatoes in the Instant Pot where they come out soft and well-cooked. But once I cut them up and start eating they get hard rather quickly. I guess the retrogradation process happens almost immediately when they are opened? Would mashed potatoes be preferable since they will be more suspended in a gel rather than exposed to air? I'm trying out very low fat and thinking maybe I could make the mashed potatoes with skim or low-fat milk and no butter. Would that still work?

I have just started buying Idahoan instant mash potato, and oh my it is IMO actually 'better' than fresh mashed potato, it is superb :):

Hgreen56

i love potato to and is my nr 1 carb source for 3 months now after this crappy ray/peat high sugar diet that made me very ill and fat regardless of the high dose of whole fruits.
Eating 2 a 2.5 kilo potatoes a day now with tons of beef and salt.
Its very anabolic food source and all my high estrogen, cortisol and prolactin levels are completely gone that the high sugar diet was giving me.
Its also very good good weight/fat loss.

I eat besides this also instant mashed potato and i love it and is so easy and magical to make lol.
You can easily mixing some stuff in it like tasteless protein or collagen powder.
i even tried low fat cacao powder in it, its amazing and everyone thinks i am crazy lol.

One downside is that this stuff made me little constipated.
I wondering if these potatoes stuff are resistant because it is made in the factory and that this the reason is why it had some constipation effects.
but i can't find any info about how this stuff exactly made.

front_fi.99.200.jpg

Last edited:

tara

i love potato to and is my nr 1 carb source for 3 months now after this crappy ray/peat high sugar diet that made me very ill and fat regardless of the high dose of whole fruits.
I wouldn't blame Peat for persisting so long with a diet that was not working. That is not Peat's advice as I understand it.

mrchibbs

I wouldn't blame Peat for persisting so long with a diet that was not working. That is not Peat's advice as I understand it.

100%