Water Filtration

A

Adnada

Hello All! It is time to replace my Berkey Water Filter. I have been happy with it, and was thinking of replacing my plastic one with the stainless steel version. Any input or suggestions for countertop water filters? I would like a similar style to the Berkey (sits on counter, not hooked up to the plumbing or faucet). Fluoride removal is a must. I want to delve into the world of water research Ray has cited in this interview: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221 ... 913FPS.mp3, but I won't have time before my current filter demands replacement. Also, any recommendations for shower head filters? Thanks!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I need to get up to speed with water research myself but was wondering if you are switching the berkey out for something else for any specific reason? I have a counter top berkey that I currently use so if you know of any issues with them could you let me know? Thanks

freal

Adnada said:
Hello All! It is time to replace my Berkey Water Filter. I have been happy with it, and was thinking of replacing my plastic one with the stainless steel version. Any input or suggestions for countertop water filters? I would like a similar style to the Berkey (sits on counter, not hooked up to the plumbing or faucet). Fluoride removal is a must. I want to delve into the world of water research Ray has cited in this interview: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221 ... 913FPS.mp3, but I won't have time before my current filter demands replacement. Also, any recommendations for shower head filters? Thanks!

I dont know what this Berkey exactly is, but I thought the only thing that removes fluoride is reverse osmosis and even that only 80% and that is quite an investment to make. Luckilly Europe is not fluoridated.

Poppyseed13

Hello!

We have a stainless steel Berkey (2 1/2 gallons)... with the fluoride filters. We have used it every day for years. I love it. I especially like that it is so simple--no electricity. I don't see it ever wearing out -- I will just keep replacing the filters when needed and the spout when it gets mineral buildup. Berkeys are workhorses--well worth the initial cost.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

OP
A

Adnada

Blossom said:
I need to get up to speed with water research myself but was wondering if you are switching the berkey out for something else for any specific reason? I have a counter top berkey that I currently use so if you know of any issues with them could you let me know? Thanks

I have no complaints with my Berkey. The reason I'm investigating other options is that I bought this Berkey 10 years ago, and want to see what innovations may have developed in that time! From the bit of research I have put in this month, Berkey still seems to be the best for what I need, ie countertop. When I make my millions I'll look into whole house systems!

OP
A

Adnada

freal said:
I dont know what this Berkey exactly is, but I thought the only thing that removes fluoride is reverse osmosis and even that only 80% and that is quite an investment to make. Luckilly Europe is not fluoridated.

The Berkey brand makes a variety of filter systems, mainly countertop systems consisting of two large stacked containers and filters. They have 2 types of filters, one does indeed remove fluoride.

I'm envious of your non-fluoridated water! I am beyond insulted that my government steels my money to put chemicals in our water, and then I must pay even more to remove it. Is fluoridated salt common in your country?

aguilaroja

freal said:
...but I thought the only thing that removes fluoride is reverse osmosis and even that only 80% and that is quite an investment to make. Luckily Europe is not fluoridated.

Paul Connett, the retired academic chemist who has written thorough books on fluoride, has repeated mentioned Bone Char filters as good media for removing fluoride from water.

It is an important biological statement that fluoride goes so readily to bone that ground up bone is one of the best filters to remove it.

Reverse osmosis and water distillation are other ways to reduce fluoride, each with their practical complications in running a system.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks, I'm happy with my Berkey. I just need to get the fluoride filter.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
aguilaroja said:
Paul Connett, the retired academic chemist who has written thorough books on fluoride, has repeated mentioned Bone Char filters as good media for removing fluoride from water.

It is an important biological statement that fluoride goes so readily to bone that ground up bone is one of the best filters to remove it.
Too cool. Nothing like a good ole bone filter to clean up the water. :mrgreen:

mt_dreams

The berkey is a good option for drinking/cooking. Though there are many types of charcoal that are great at filtering out things, as that's what charcoal does. Binchotan charcoal is another good option.

Keep in mind most household fluoride removal are average at best. even with the berkey fluoride filters, you're ingesting up to 20% of its fluoride content.

I get my water from directly from a spring, and it goes directly into glass carafes, just like mother nature intended. I use this mostly for cooking & making coffee, as I get enough daily water from my oj & milk.

Regarding home filters, fluoride doesn't absorb that well through your skin, so no need to spend a lot of money on a expensive filter. To block chlorine which you easily absorb as vapor when taking showers, use a vitamin C filter.

fyo

I've seen simple but effective gravity filters using rocks, pebbles, sand, then charcoal. I think charcoal is about the strongest 'filter' out there, and non-toxic if its pure charcoal.

Charcoal is easy to make too. Put organic matter (wood, bone, etc) in a can outside, turn the can to the ground, and then heat the can for some hours with something hot like retort burning, 'rocket stoves', coals. The water and gasses escape leaving you with carbon. With the right burning apperatus, there is no smoke, only a CO2 H2O exhaust.

Charcoal can be 'activated' with a salt solution, for greater filtration.
http://library.queensu.ca/ojs/index.php ... /4244/4344
http://www.ajol.info/index.php/bcse/art ... 7872/68278
http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?pid=S07 ... ci_arttext

Charcoal has another benefit as a gut-cleaning/adsorbing agent. Peat once mentioned runt pigs grew normal when charcoal was added to the diet; also, V. V. Frolkis study where rat mean lifespans increased something like 40%+. Then there are many russian studies on 'enterosorption' agents (akin to charcoal) with outstanding benefits.

I've just got turned onto this subject while trying to avoid fluoride. I found a RO filter by Aquaphor called the Morion. It is half the space of conventional RO's as well as re-mineralize the water since the process of RO is quite destructive to the nature of water. It comes with a $500 price tag on Amazon, but it seems to be pretty revolutionary when it comes to efficiency both in space and volume of unfiltered water used. I wish I could find some more reviews on the product, but it looks promising and easy to use/install.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquaphor-DWM-101- ... se+osmosis

seano

Found this while researching water filters:
Troubled Waters: Removing Estrogen from Our Water Supply -- Luke Dery, The Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science

Compares different filter mediums. GCB & Coarse Carbon (charcoal?) were the only ones that worked.

upload_2016-3-7_8-50-49.png

PeatInspired

Forum Supporter
We bought a Berkey and we really like it... But just realized the stainless steel that it's made out of is the low quality "non-magnetic" kind that Ray Peat has said is super unhealthy. o_O

Ulysses

First I distill my water to remove dissolved solids, then I run it through a Brita filter to remove organic compounds. I waffled on getting the distiller for a long time, because so many people say drinking distilled water is bad for you, but after combing through the very limited information that actually exists on the subject, I decided I wasn’t convinced and went ahead with the purchase. I’ve been drinking this water for months and so far I’ve had no problems.

zewe

I get my water from directly from a spring, and it goes directly into glass carafes, just like mother nature intended. I use this mostly for cooking & making coffee, as I get enough daily water from my oj & milk.

Regarding home filters, fluoride doesn't absorb that well through your skin, so no need to spend a lot of money on a expensive filter. To block chlorine which you easily absorb as vapor when taking showers, use a vitamin C filter.

I also get real spring water. This water is 'alive'
not 'dead.'

I collect it in washed & sterilized glass wine jugs, which I get from my son's restaurant.

I make sure I get plenty each time because I use it for drinking, cooking, all the animals and birds drink it too.....change the fish water with it also....had a goldfish live for 9 years in this. The turtles's aquarium, I collect in big water cooler jugs, right before I change their water.

No filtered water's taste can compare to natural, fresh, flowing spring water.

Great for washing one's hair with too!

You can add vit. C to bath water to remove the chlorine.

Neither of my berkey filter purchases passed the red dye test. I loved the taste anyway.. but at one point the water tasted like chemicals and really caused me internal problems after accidentally drinking it. I ordered a brand new set of filters after that, which also didn’t pass the red dye test. Bought the pump to flush them out. Flushed them out the recommended number of times (took days and days to do this). They still did not pass the red dye test.
I’ve heard that berkey uses tricky language in their specs (not sure if true.. but i think i’m done with berkey).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom