Applesauce

Arnold Grape

Does anyone here experiment with applesauce? I thought I'd share, since I recently got turned on to it - the one I buy at my local grocery store has 100 calories per serving at twelve servings and no artificial sweeteners. Occasionally I will eat a whole 48 oz container through the day, if I feel like it. That's 1200 calories at less than $3.00 a container.

I stopped eating apples with meals after I found out it contains too much proanthocyanidins that chelate trace-minerals. They therefore do have good effects on iron chelation though and scavenge radicals, such as peroxynitrites, but can inhibit digestive enzymes pancreatic α-amylase, pancreatic lipase and phospholipase.

Therefore fruits and spices etc with a high ORAC value or OPC's should be eaten separate from meals.

Here is a list of common fruits and their PA content per mg/100 g: link

Citrus fruits, Raspberries, Cherries and pineapple are some of the lowest, as are canned peaches on syrup.
Applesauce come out as moderate with 47 PA, so are preferred over whole apples up to 125 PA.

Is apple sauce usually cooked? I mean they surely pasteurize it at the very least right? Since Peat recommends apples preferably cooked, would the apple sauce meet the criteria then? I always wondered.

OP
Arnold Grape

Arnold Grape

I stopped eating apples with meals after I found out it contains too much proanthocyanidins that chelate trace-minerals. They therefore do have good effects on iron chelation though and scavenge radicals, such as peroxynitrites, but can inhibit digestive enzymes pancreatic α-amylase, pancreatic lipase and phospholipase.

Therefore fruits and spices etc with a high ORAC value or OPC's should be eaten separate from meals.
Typically this would be consumed separately, away from meals, but I have on occasion had a nice dinner with a side of applesauce - thanks for the information.

Is apple sauce usually cooked? I mean they surely pasteurize it at the very least right? Since Peat recommends apples preferably cooked, would the apple sauce meet the criteria then? I always wondered.
Another trick that I read about somebody doing is taking the Costco brand applesauce and then cooking it himself, with honey and cinnamon.

somuch4food

Pure hypothesis here:
Could the chelating capacity of a raw apple cause my hunger problems after I eat one? The hunger subsists for much of the day no matter how much proteins/carbs I eat.

Eating cheese for added proteins with the raw apple does not mitigate this problem for me.

RobertJM

Does anyone here experiment with applesauce? I thought I'd share, since I recently got turned on to it - the one I buy at my local grocery store has 100 calories per serving at twelve servings and no artificial sweeteners. Occasionally I will eat a whole 48 oz container through the day, if I feel like it. That's 1200 calories at less than $3.00 a container.

You eat all twelve servings? What about your guests? You greedy pig

No seriously, thanks for this info. I’m gonna try some. You just buy it in the jars do you? Because that’s what we have here in the U.K. We put ours on pork dishes. But I’m happy to eat the entire jar of it agrees with me. Anything to cut down on liquids, eh?

L

lollipop

I LOVE applesauce @Arnold Grape. I found an organic French one which is simply apples. Nothing else. I mix with cottage cheese - taste amazing. Causes zero gut issues.

Peatful

Do you consider your digestion strong?
I would assume yours is— applesauce is high in fermentable short chain carbohydrates (high FODMAP); so I eat sparingly.

Reaper242xx

I personally love applesauce. Orange juice, applesauce, pearsauce, mangoes, and tart cherry juice are my main sources of sugar outside of pure surcose. Also, the fiber is really broken down in applesauce, so the sugar will absorb faster and won't be delayed due to fiber. Win win as far as I'm concerned.

D

danishispsychic

I am an applesaucer too. Since I made friends with hydrolyzed collagen - I add that to it too.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I love cooked apples and applesauce. We eat it with most evening meals autumn through spring. Adding collagen sounds like something to try.

Well i wonder in spite of all the love the apple sauce is getting here, how much nutrition it really brings to the table, given the fairly brutal processing it goes through. As linked above. Potentially next to nothing.

Pure hypothesis here:
Could the chelating capacity of a raw apple cause my hunger problems after I eat one? The hunger subsists for much of the day no matter how much proteins/carbs I eat.

Eating cheese for added proteins with the raw apple does not mitigate this problem for me.
Maybe you have problems with the digestive enzyme inhibitors? These should become inactivated with cooking though.
There are supplements for digestive enzymes...

Fractality

The high quality apple sauce around here is 60 calories per serving. That's almost half of what yours is. Which brand do you get?

Cooking your own applesauce is so much cheaper and plenty easy ,

Recipie

5 pounds of apples
1.25 cup apple juice - natural
1 tsp Cinnamon - used ceylon

Peel, core, and cut apple into chunks
Put juice + apples into sauce pan
Simmer until apples are soft and mash
Let cool and add the cinnamon

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals