Vitamin E Gives Me Severe Fatigue

javacody

I've seen some threads on this forum where certain people came out with the torches and pitchforks over vitamin E.

If you have a torch or pitchfork, this is not the thread you are looking for. You can go now.

For everyone else, I've tried two kinds of vitamin E, the latest being Unique E. And for the month I was taking E, I was exhausted the entire time.

I stopped all supps and introduced a few at a time and it's definitely the Vitamin E.

Any ideas on why I would not be able to tolerate mixed tocopherols?

Should I try again with just alpha tocopherol at a lower dose, say 100 IU per day?

I also ran across an article that said that Niacinamide can mess with genes that regulate vitamin E?

I was taking 1.5 grams of niacinamide in split doses per day 3 weeks of that time as well.

Nicholas

this is the unfortunate reality of taking supplements. have you considered the hormonal variables of E as well?

Blinkyrocket

I woke up heart pounding the day I took vitamin E, it excretes sodium right? I ate some salt and apple juice and it stopped after a few minutes.

haidut

Forum Supporter
javacody said:
I've seen some threads on this forum where certain people came out with the torches and pitchforks over vitamin E.

If you have a torch or pitchfork, this is not the thread you are looking for. You can go now.

For everyone else, I've tried two kinds of vitamin E, the latest being Unique E. And for the month I was taking E, I was exhausted the entire time.

I stopped all supps and introduced a few at a time and it's definitely the Vitamin E.

Should I try again with just alpha tocopherol at a lower dose, say 100 IU per day?

I also ran across an article that said that Niacinamide can mess with genes that regulate vitamin E?

I was taking 1.5 grams of niacinamide in split doses per day 3 weeks of that time as well.

Vitamin E can irritate the intestine and some studies say it triggers serotonin production in the gut. The fatigue could be from this. Also, vitamin E lowers sodium as mentioned in another post above. Finally, vitamin E lowers both cortisol and adrenalin and this could reveal low metabolism since you were running on stress hormones. Higher doses of vitamin E also stimulate progesterone synthesis and progesterone can make people sleepy/tired due to its GABA actions.
Try taking topically, starting with a lower dose of 200 IU. Half life of vitamin E is at least 48 hours so you need only take it once or twice a week. Peat himself takes it topically once a week apparently.

OP
J

javacody

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

You all are so knowledgable and helpful!

I'll give topical E a try haidut.

Nicholas

good to know about the half-life. i've been taking 2000mg. of Thorne's Ultimate E. i noticed early on it brought me a slight feeling of calmness but not fatigue. it also seemed to help or mask the fatigue that might come on when i'm late for a meal. it's kind of like more of a grounded feeling. haven't noticed craving sodium more.

Well, I think pretty much all brands will have almost half of something else by weight in the oil, and this is something from the soy in the case of Unique E.

Stuart

haidut said:
javacody said:

Vitamin E can irritate the intestine and some studies say it triggers serotonin production in the gut. The fatigue could be from this. Also, vitamin E lowers sodium as mentioned in another post above. Finally, vitamin E lowers both cortisol and adrenalin and this could reveal low metabolism since you were running on stress hormones. Higher doses of vitamin E also stimulate progesterone synthesis and progesterone can make people sleepy/tired due to its GABA actions.
Try taking topically, starting with a lower dose of 200 IU. Half life of vitamin E is at least 48 hours so you need only take it once or twice a week. Peat himself takes it topically once a week apparently.
I popped this question on another vit E thread recently but there were no takers. What do you think is the importance of the tocotrienols in Vit E? There are not just four tocopherols, but four tocotrienols too.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Stuart said:
haidut said:
javacody said:

I popped this question on another vit E thread recently but there were no takers. What do you think is the importance of the tocotrienols in Vit E? There are not just four tocopherols, but four tocotrienols too.

Tocotrienols are unsaturated and animal studies show they cause liver enlargement. Peat says the until more data is available to stay away from them. Virtually all positive studies are with tocopherols.

Stuart

haidut said:
Tocotrienols are unsaturated and animal studies show they cause liver enlargement. Peat says the until more data is available to stay away from them. Virtually all positive studies are with tocopherols.

Thanks.
Are tocopherols saturated?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Stuart said:
haidut said:

Thanks.
Are tocopherols saturated?

As far as I know, yes.

Parsifal

haidut said:
javacody said:

Is it possible to take it by the skin to avoid digestive issues? I have had liver spasms by taking Estroban today.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 100028
haidut said:
javacody said:

Is it possible to take it by the skin to avoid digestive issues? I have had liver spasms by taking Estroban today.

The liver spasms are probably from K2, not E. K2, just like caffeine, stimulates the liver to shed its fat. But yes, you can take vitamin E topically, however the people that truly have inflammatory GI conditions (chron's, UC) found that it still have them GI symptoms. Vitamin E is a powerful immune stimulant, so in autoimmune conditions it may make symptoms worse, even though it improved the underlying pathology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

haidut said:
The liver spasms are probably from K2, not E. K2, just like caffeine, stimulates the liver to shed its fat. But yes, you can take vitamin E topically, however the people that truly have inflammatory GI conditions (chron's, UC) found that it still have them GI symptoms. Vitamin E is a powerful immune stimulant, so in autoimmune conditions it may make symptoms worse, even though it improved the underlying pathology.

So that means that too much K2 will detox the PUFA's too fast? Should I take niacinamide with it then?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 100033
haidut said:

So that means that too much K2 will detox the PUFA's too fast? Should I take niacinamide with it then?

No, the K2 works mostly in the liver. So, it will make the liver lean not detox of your whole body of PUFA. But once the liver is healthy again it will be able to do its job in detoxing the PUFA better/faster, so it is something to be desired.

haidut

Forum Supporter
extremecheddar said:
post 100036 How do you take vit e topically? It seems too thick and sticky to be absorbed let alone be comfortable.

You mix it as a 50% vitamin E and 50% olive oil. Ray has talked about this many times. Search his website articles for more info.

Johnathan5544

It can't be vitamin E as it is a natural anti oxidant in foods. Deficiency of it will cause fatigue. Maybe it was something else you were taking at the time. I uploaded some charts of the vitamin e content of foods in another thread. Could try a high vitamin E food, and see how that goes.

There are genetic diseases of the alpha tocopherol transporter protein, and one patient was taking 100mg/kg of alpha tocopherol. Times 1.5 to get IU. So if he was 60kg that is 9,000 IU per day for life. There were no reported side effects.

Last edited:
I too have noted that vitamin E cause fatigue sometimes. Can Vitamin A cause the dame? I started supplementing 50,000 IU of Retinol Palmitate and feel very sleepy/tired the Day after. Maybe is the dose too high? Any thoughts or someone has experienced the same?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals