Simply Eating Oxtails - Enough Glycine?

RayPeatFan777

Im trying to keep things easy and simple for time being. My protein mostly comes from cheese but I need a bit more so I plan on eating 1 meat dish a day.

Oxtails are tasty and easy enough to prepare, im just wondering if cooking and eating the meat alone will have enough glycine to balance inflammatory amino acids. Im not planning on making a stew that takes 3-4 hrs to cook for the time being.

Thanks.

DDK

Im trying to keep things easy and simple for time being. My protein mostly comes from cheese but I need a bit more so I plan on eating 1 meat dish a day.

Oxtails are tasty and easy enough to prepare, im just wondering if cooking and eating the meat alone will have enough glycine to balance inflammatory amino acids. Im not planning on making a stew that takes 3-4 hrs to cook for the time being.

Thanks.

How are you cooking? If you are boiling then removing from pot and eating, all of the protein will be left in the broth/pot. If you are baking/roasting then you're probably good. You also don't have to eat these gelatinous cuts of meat in order to obtain glycine, you can easily get glycine from other cuts of meat. Beef shoulder/arm roasts have a lot of glycine or a bone-in chicken breast with the skin has a good amount of glycine and is low in fat.

OP
RayPeatFan777

RayPeatFan777

How are you cooking? If you are boiling then removing from pot and eating, all of the protein will be left in the broth/pot. If you are baking/roasting then you're probably good. You also don't have to eat these gelatinous cuts of meat in order to obtain glycine, you can easily get glycine from other cuts of meat. Beef shoulder/arm roasts have a lot of glycine or a bone-in chicken breast with the skin has a good amount of glycine and is low in fat.

Thanks for the reply. Everytime ive cooked them ive put them in a pot of water so im glad you mentioned that, I could bake them though or maybe fry ?

DDK

Thanks for the reply. Everytime ive cooked them ive put them in a pot of water so im glad you mentioned that, I could bake them though or maybe fry ?

Well if you were putting them in a pot of water then removing and eating them, were you discarding the water? All the amino acids become free amino acids and are transferred to the water. Yes, you could just roast them in the oven. Or like I said there are other cuts that are high in glycine, like chicken with the skin. Or you could eat pork rinds with your meat if you are concerned about amino acid ratios.

tara

Drink the stock too.

B

Braveheart

Totally easy...beef shank in the slow cooker over night, on low...the meat and juice is wonderful...I think it's the best cut for gelatin.

tara

Totally easy...beef shank in the slow cooker over night, on low...the meat and juice is wonderful...I think it's the best cut for gelatin.
With beef, I think the knee joint is far and away the best for gelatin. :)

cyclops

or a bone-in chicken breast with the skin has a good amount of glycine and is low in fat.

I don't think this would be a good cut for glycine. Chicken skin probably has mucho pufas and the breast is all muscle meat.

DDK

I don't think this would be a good cut for glycine. Chicken skin probably has mucho pufas and the breast is all muscle meat.

Animal skin, whether it be pork or chicken or cow is the best source of glycine. Ray has told me pork rinds are the most practical source for glycine on numerous occasions. Yes, dark meat chicken like thighs and drumsticks are too high in fat/PUFA, but white meat chicken breast with the skin has a very insignificant amount of fat/PUFA. I would compare it to eggs in regards to the PUFA. There is some but not enough to be concerned about.

cyclops

Animal skin, whether it be pork or chicken or cow is the best source of glycine. Ray has told me pork rinds are the most practical source for glycine on numerous occasions. Yes, dark meat chicken like thighs and drumsticks are too high in fat/PUFA, but white meat chicken breast with the skin has a very insignificant amount of fat/PUFA. I would compare it to eggs in regards to the PUFA. There is some but not enough to be concerned about.

Something to think about. What brand of pork rinds do you like?

vulture

Yep, I think it's a bad idea to eat chicken skin.

And what I do is I make a soup out of beef knee, gelatin seems to get into the water, then I let it cool, take the fat away (it goes up and solidifies), then I use the meat in something else or cut it and eat it with the soup. Also, I eat tendons and all the stuff I can that's not fat. So, don't trow the water away

Ideonaut

Thanks.
I think oxtails are overrated for flavor, cartilage content, value. I prefer spareribs and lamb shanks.

vulture

Pork skin is delicious, but seems high in fat and MUFA (is this last one a concern?). I'm not eating eat just to be cautious on fat

DDK

Yep, I think it's a bad idea to eat chicken skin.

Pork skin has just as much if not more PUFA than chicken skin and Ray has recommended Pork Rinds to me on several occasions. So he must not be too concerned about the PUFA or he thinks the benefits of gelatin outweigh the trivial amounts of PUFA.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat has said chicken should probably only be eaten about every 10 days at most.

DDK

Ray Peat has said chicken should probably only be eaten about every 10 days at most.

Yes, but what cuts of chicken is he talking about? For high fat, dark meat chicken I can understand that; not for what I was talking about. Do you think Ray would be against consuming boneless skinless chicken breast with pork rinds everyday? I don't think he would be against it at all.

tara

Chicken feet or frames also have a fair bit of gelatine.
Pig trotters have plenty, for those who are OK with eating pork.
You can skim a lot of the fat off the top after cooking.

Ella

Forum Supporter
So he must not be too concerned about the PUFA or he thinks the benefits of gelatin outweigh the trivial amounts of PUFA.

Ray has been eating low PUFA's for a long time and does not appear to carry much body fat. Newcomers, that have been eating high PUFA, storing lots in adipose tissue etc may need to be more restricted than Ray.

Ray has also mentioned that PUFAs in pork and chicken fat is reflective of the diet. If feeding on grains and seeds as most pigs and chickens are, especially soy and wheat then fat will be high in PUFAs.

If fed lots of fruits, then PUFAs will be low. When pigs and chickens are fed well, meat is delicious, smell is pleasing (not disgusting) and fat is a die-for. Pay a farmer to grow a pig and feed it right and you will taste and smell the difference. Finger licking good.
If you feed grains to cows and sheep, they are able to convert PUFAs to saturated fats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals