Thyroid

Jsaute21

This post is meant to highlight my thyroid experiment from Early December 2017 through Early March 2018. I will highlight both the benefits and the negatives with my experiment with no agenda attached. Due to how much experimentation is involved with dosing, i think it will hopefully be a helpful exercise for many on here. I am going to try and go without thyroid for the next few months as the weather hopefully improves in Chicago. I will still use diamant, aspirin, energin often, with androsterone, pregnenolone and pansterone as needed.
  • Libido has overall been higher during my thyroid experiment.
  • TSH lowered to 0.86 from 2.42 14 months earlier.
  • Temper has overall been shorter, which i noticed more from cynomel than cynoplus.
  • Bowel movements have been more regular and consistent. 1-2 a day every day.
  • I got sick this winter twice, which almost never happens. I usually get sick once, but i was surprised to get sick twice.
  • Overall work performance has improved mildly. Have always been a hard worker but have had ADD/ADHD since i was a kid.
  • No real difference in performance training/strength training. I was very strong and fit even when in a "functional hypothyroid" state.
  • Better recovery from alcohol when using thyroid.
  • Fought more with my significant other while taking thyroid, probably due to being a more androgenic and selfish male. It was difficult for me to do things that i did not want to do, which is not something i consider a positive trait.
  • Slept better and deeper overall, which was due to Ray's advice of taking cynoplus before bed. This is the one area i am worried about ceasing. I feel as if aspirin, Cypro or Preg could be used here if needed however.
Overall, taking thyroid was a good experiment. I took my temperature and pulse on occasion, but taking it every day just does not work with my brain wiring. I stumbled past an old post by @Regina where she discussed her norephenine levels being high. I think i suffer from a similar issue, which contributes to ADD/ADHD as well as moderate OCD tendencies. Are there other folks on here that have ceased using thyroid and continued to improve their metabolism through diet and healthy/strategic supplementation? Interested in others experiences.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jsaute21

I forgot to mention a big area of improvement above, OCD. I had pretty brutal OCD and improving metabolism through diet immediately improved things. However, now that I think about it, cynomel/cynoplus had an enormous improvement on this area, which Ray actually told me that it would in an email. Kind of cool.

Andman

I forgot to mention a big area of improvement above, OCD. I had pretty brutal OCD and improving metabolism through diet immediately improved things. However, now that I think about it, cynomel

what ocd-symptoms did you have if i may ask?

funny that you mention the „less willing to do things one doesnt really want to do“ thing - i run into this a lot too, to the point its causing problem in work/social life.

OP
J

Jsaute21

what ocd-symptoms did you have if i may ask?

funny that you mention the „less willing to do things one doesnt really want to do“ thing - i run into this a lot too, to the point its causing problem in work/social life.

It's strange isn't it? I think its a good example of how life is not linear, not to get too deep. I think most of us often think "If i just eat these nutrients, or take this pill, everything will improve or everything got worse." When in reality, some things improve, and other areas get worse. Yesterday was my first day completely off t3 or t4 in months and i noticed feeling a little less confident/high metabolism but more agreeable and socially intelligent. Libido was lower though. (one day is hardly enough to make a full judgment on, but i think t3 does me some good overall.)

My ocd symptoms were manifestations of low metabolism in my opinion. They revolved around self doubt. I have always had a little bit of OCD, used to avoid walking on cracks as a kid, had some minor ticks, etc. so i think thyroid along with good nutrition helps minimize it. Peat often says that people need thyroid for different reasons and i think he is absolutely right. Most hypothyroid people are portly and unhealthy looking, but that couldn't be less true for me. I think most people would probably benefit from some form of metabolism boost, its just about finding your happy medium. I am not someone that needs 2 grains a day. I am better off with less than 1 probably. Sorry for the jumbled post.

Andman

No worries i actually see a lot of similarities with myself. Been reading the tyromix thread today and saw your post regarding not really wanting to workout as much as before - cant agree more, its probably a good sign though. The gym-bro lifestyle hasnt done me any favours tbh

OP
J

Jsaute21

Gym definitely was hurting me in disguise too.

@Jsaute21 can you give us an idea of how you started dose-wise and how you eventually got to your most recent amounts(including stopping it)

Sure man. This is going to be a bit long winded but i feel its necessary to paint the picture. When i started, i didn't know what the hell i was doing. I found Peat late in the year of 2016, when i was benching 300 lbs for reps at 195, doing pull ups with 100 lbs attached to me etc. I don't say that to brag what so ever, i just think being "fit" doesn't always mean being healthy. I had pretty brutal OCD at the time, didn't tolerate caffeine that well, worse libido than i used to etc. Essentially i was confused. I assumed i had low T. Got it tested and it was above 800 with high free T and low estrogen. TSH came in above 2 though. After doing some research, i came across RP and it has been a steady journey to improving health since.

Haidut's posts were difficult for me to grasp at first, probably because i was low metabolism. I kept reading them though, and things started making more and more sense. My diet gradually improved itself, going from moderate PUFA, to low PUFA to virtually none except 1 day a week where i will go out to eat with my significant other. Starting thyroid is tricky honestly. I remember at first feeling kind of panicky and or angry when i would take it. Nothing horrible, but it didn't seem like it was helping me thats for sure. As i started doing more research, i realized how important it is to take less than 4-5 mcg of t3 at a time. I firmly believe in this. I also have gotten my best thyroid results from cynomel/cynoplus (the type that peat recommends.) Taking cynoplus only before bed is helpful. I sleep like a rock when i take it after having some ice cream/milk. I usually take a very small amount. (1/6-1/8 of a pill.) I do recommend getting your nutrition dialed in before taking thyroid. Not enough people preach this. If you are under eating carbs, eating PUFA's, etc. and take thyroid, you will feel like crap. Period.

For a a strong dude like you, eating enough protein and the right protein is paramount. I still get hypothyroid symptoms when i under eat protein. I often don't eat enough protein because sometimes it can be unappetizing, but with large amounts of muscle comes the requirement. As a 198 LB dude, i should probably be eating 160-180 g a day. Gelatin and Milk help make this goal attainable. I easily eat 300 g of carbs a day. Some days 400, some days 250 maybe but i don't find eating a lot of carbohydrates difficult.

As far as i go, i think i probably do need thyroid still to function my best. I don't dose it heavily unless i am sick/tired etc. but the t3/t4 combo before bed is kind of too good to ditch at this point, along with an occasional dose of t3 during the day. Some days ( 5 mcg total, some days 10, maybe one day 12.) No two days are the same, and ideally we do not need any supplements. But i have put my body through a lot in the last 10 years. Mostly self induced through intense athletics and training. I am already healthier than most when i take thyroid. When i don't, i feel as if i am slightly unhealthier and less vital than most. We shouldn't compare ourselves to others, but in a competitive work force, it is unfortunately inevitable.

Hope this helps. Always here to help.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Curious to those who have cycled on/off thyroid, did you notice feeling a bit crappy the first day off of it? In the Peat articles i have read, he makes clear that it takes the body 3 days or so to fully resume normal activity. I do not feel terrible, but definitely don't feel as good as i have today (first day off of cynomel in 4 months.) I am curious to get the opinions of those who have cycled thyroid in the past.

Wayne J

Curious to those who have cycled on/off thyroid, did you notice feeling a bit crappy the first day off of it? In the Peat articles i have read, he makes clear that it takes the body 3 days or so to fully resume normal activity. I do not feel terrible, but definitely don't feel as good as i have today (first day off of cynomel in 4 months.) I am curious to get the opinions of those who have cycled thyroid in the past.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals