GOD BLESS RAY PEAT

OP
rawmeat

rawmeat

This is my first post and I agree with these things. Ray Peat is a genius imho. He is old school and basic and that is what works best for me as I've tested his theories and they work very well for me. I discovered him by accident. I discovered that a Coke before bed had magical hormonal benefits for me. I've since switched to Mexican Coke but I never go to bed without drinking a bottle of Mexican Coke. The accident part of the discovery was that I knew I had stumbled on to something (before I had ever heard of Ray Peat) because I felt so good but wanted to research things because I had been told my whole life that sugar was bad for you. That is how I found Ray Peat because he is about the only guy who says that sugar can be a good thing. I am not talking about eating sugar all day long but using it strategically.

Here is my typical day:
Greek Yogurt with some fruit, orange juice, and a glass of milk for breakfast. Drink about 8 cups of milk throughout the day and usually drink another glass of OJ when I get home. Also, use about a gram of Bayer Aspirin per day (e.g., about 3 tablets).

Lunch - a raw carrot and some milk, gelatin, and sometimes some meat or cheese and fruit.

Dinner - found 80/20 hamburgers work the best for my hormones but some type of meat and white mashed potatoes.

Snacks - make my own zucchini flour (from dried zucchini chips) and use that to make zucchini chocolate chip cookies (use Enjoy Life brand chips as they do not contain soy) and zucchini flour carrot cake. Also make my own homemade ice cream as almost all store-bought ice cream contains carrageenan.

Mexican Coke without fail before bed and sometimes with a tablespoon of honey.

Once per week eat liver and/or oysters. Learned these foods from Ray and they are indeed super foods. Also have increased my salt intake and it has helped me increase my body temperature.

Never ever eat:
PUFA except for the residual amounts found in milk-products and meat. Macadamia nuts are the only type of nuts I eat.
Starch - as in flour. The only exception is well-cooked white or sweet potatoes and occasionally white rice. Mostly stick to white mashed potatoes because of the hormonal benefits I've noticed with them.
Legumes.
High Fructose Corn syrup.
Carrageenan.
Raw Vegetables other than carrots and onions.

I've found there are no free lunches out there for losing weight. Ray's diet advice is no doubt a metabolism booster but you cannot eat an unlimited amount and still expect to lose weight. I found that vegan diets, keto, Adkins, Paleo, etc. and so forth will screw-up your thyroid hormone over time. Old school works the absolute best. I learned about Gilbert Ling through Ray and I've begun to read his writings. Gilbert is 98 years old. If people think Ray's writings are somewhat technical and complicated to follow, Gilbert Ling takes it to another level. There is scientific fraud all over out there (due to modern marketing and industrial campaigns) and Gilbert Ling is proof of that. Sorry for the long-winded post but I love the community here. God bless Ray Peat indeed as I've proven to myself his ideas work exceedingly well.

great to hear mate!

Vanilla or Coffee Haagen Dazs ice cream does not have have carrageenan!

vulture

This is my first post and I agree with these things. Ray Peat is a genius imho. He is old school and basic and that is what works best for me as I've tested his theories and they work very well for me. I discovered him by accident. I discovered that a Coke before bed had magical hormonal benefits for me. I've since switched to Mexican Coke but I never go to bed without drinking a bottle of Mexican Coke. The accident part of the discovery was that I knew I had stumbled on to something (before I had ever heard of Ray Peat) because I felt so good but wanted to research things because I had been told my whole life that sugar was bad for you. That is how I found Ray Peat because he is about the only guy who says that sugar can be a good thing. I am not talking about eating sugar all day long but using it strategically.

Here is my typical day:
Greek Yogurt with some fruit, orange juice, and a glass of milk for breakfast. Drink about 8 cups of milk throughout the day and usually drink another glass of OJ when I get home. Also, use about a gram of Bayer Aspirin per day (e.g., about 3 tablets).

Lunch - a raw carrot and some milk, gelatin, and sometimes some meat or cheese and fruit.

Dinner - found 80/20 hamburgers work the best for my hormones but some type of meat and white mashed potatoes.

Snacks - make my own zucchini flour (from dried zucchini chips) and use that to make zucchini chocolate chip cookies (use Enjoy Life brand chips as they do not contain soy) and zucchini flour carrot cake. Also make my own homemade ice cream as almost all store-bought ice cream contains carrageenan.

Once per week eat liver and/or oysters. Learned these foods from Ray and they are indeed super foods. Also have increased my salt intake and it has helped me increase my body temperature.

Never ever eat:
PUFA except for the residual amounts found in milk-products and meat. Macadamia nuts are the only type of nuts I eat.
Starch - as in flour. The only exception is well-cooked white or sweet potatoes and occasionally white rice. Mostly stick to white mashed potatoes because of the hormonal benefits I've noticed with them.
Legumes.
Carrageenan.

I've found there are no free lunches out there for losing weight. Ray's diet advice is no doubt a metabolism booster but you cannot eat an unlimited amount and still expect to lose weight. I found that vegan diets, keto, Adkins, Paleo, etc. and so forth will screw-up your thyroid hormone over time. Old school works the absolute best. I learned about Gilbert Ling through Ray and I've begun to read his writings. Gilbert is 98 years old. If people think Ray's writings are somewhat technical and complicated to follow, Gilbert Ling takes it to another level. There is scientific fraud all over out there (due to modern marketing and industrial campaigns) and Gilbert Ling is proof of that. Sorry for the long-winded post but I love the community here. God bless Ray Peat indeed as I've proven to myself his ideas work exceedingly well.
Isn't Coca-Cola the same recipe all over the world?

managing

Isn't Coca-Cola the same recipe all over the world?
Nope. It actually varies dramatically from place to place. Mexican coke is the closest to the original (sans coca leaf extract). But any cola that uses real cane sugar instead of various corn syrups is fine.

vulture

Nope. It actually varies dramatically from place to place. Mexican coke is the closest to the original (sans coca leaf extract). But any cola that uses real cane sugar instead of various corn syrups is fine.
According to Peat what's are the most relevant ingredients besides sugar?

danielbb

Lisa - thanks for the welcome. I've been experimenting since November of 2017. Liver has been the most recent addition. I've noticed improvements to my eye-sight and my digestion seems to work better after eating liver along with elevated energy levels the next couple of days. My digestion has been just about perfect since I began implementing Ray's ideas. Starch I believe is the biggest digestion clogger on the planet. I am pretty sure PUFA also is no good either for proper digestion. I've become fixated on optimal thyroid health and all that I've learned from Ray.

L

lollipop

Lisa - thanks for the welcome. I've been experimenting since November of 2017. Liver has been the most recent addition. I've noticed improvements to my eye-sight and my digestion seems to work better after eating liver along with elevated energy levels the next couple of days. My digestion has been just about perfect since I began implementing Ray's ideas. Starch I believe is the biggest digestion clogger on the planet. I am pretty sure PUFA also is no good either for proper digestion. I've become fixated on optimal thyroid health and all that I've learned from Ray.
Awesome @danielbb. I agree with you on the importance of digestive health. Good for you.

Waremu

100% agree. Starch was great for me when I was new to peat, but as my health improved I noticed it's effects on me more. I get very congested and 'clogged' as well. The most I can do is the occasional white rice, but once I start eating starch regularly, digestion slows and depression ensues. I also notice that if I don't keep up on the carrots regularly digestion slows and I feel more 'down.' Liver health has a lot to do with this as well, in my experience. I feel best on high fruit instead of starch anyway. The only thing that would keep be going back for starch in the past is the need or feeling to be mroe 'satiated, but I come to realize that this is a sign of a mineral(s) deficiency very often. I notice when I eat oysters/liver 1-2 times per weak, my appetite isn't out of control in an unhealthy way where I need to keep eating more heavy foods to feel more 'satiated.' Liver and oysters keep my appetite at a healthy range where I can eat no starch and not be weighed down with heavier food but yet feel very satisfied and no need to eat a ton more. It is likely the minerals especially in the oysters that regulate this. This is what I narrowed it down to in my hypothesis.

danielbb

100% agree. Starch was great for me when I was new to peat, but as my health improved I noticed it's effects on me more. I get very congested and 'clogged' as well. The most I can do is the occasional white rice, but once I start eating starch regularly, digestion slows and depression ensues. I also notice that if I don't keep up on the carrots regularly digestion slows and I feel more 'down.' Liver health has a lot to do with this as well, in my experience. I feel best on high fruit instead of starch anyway. The only thing that would keep be going back for starch in the past is the need or feeling to be mroe 'satiated, but I come to realize that this is a sign of a mineral(s) deficiency very often. I notice when I eat oysters/liver 1-2 times per weak, my appetite isn't out of control in an unhealthy way where I need to keep eating more heavy foods to feel more 'satiated.' Liver and oysters keep my appetite at a healthy range where I can eat no starch and not be weighed down with heavier food but yet feel very satisfied and no need to eat a ton more. It is likely the minerals especially in the oysters that regulate this. This is what I narrowed it down to in my hypothesis.
Since you mentioned depression Waremu, I'll comment on that. I've suffered from it my whole life but usually it was manageable by simply refusing to give in to it. I noticed that once I gave up starch, all feelings of depression left me. I would have posted that initially but I wasn't sure if people would believe me. I don't even have negative thoughts anymore as hard as that is to believe. I don't believe I've heard Ray explicitly say this, but my theory based on anecdotal evidence of one is that depression as an inflammatory reaction to what we eat. That is the only explanation that makes sense to me. In fact, I believe that the nutrition advice Ray provides is designed to heal the body and un-do the bad stuff you did before. The anti-inflammatory diet if you will. I've healed so many things and people shake their heads when I tell them. They think I have lost my marbles saying these things.

Ray talks about runny nose and how that is linked to bowl endotoxins. I've cured a perpetual runny nose because of this one revelation. I always used to make excuses for it like it's cold outside or it is allergy season. The runny nose was history after removing starch as I had already eliminated PUFA yet still had the runny nose.

I've also cured plantar faciitas (probably also because I've lost weight), ED, high blood pressure, low thyroid, frequent headaches, poor digestion, mood swings, gynocomastia, and dark circles under eyes along with overall improvement of skin quality, among other things. The most interesting one of all is skin tags. These are white skin protrusions on the eye-lids and around the eye. I never thought these would ever go away without some type of laser surgery to remove them. Mine have miraculously disappeared. The only conclusion I have drawn is that skin tags are also an inflammatory reaction to what we eat. I no longer drink alcohol because I found I no longer need it. When you are operating at 100%, you can only go down hill from there. I am 58 years old and feel like a 16 year old boy. I know these things must sound ridiculous to hear them, but these are the types of results I've gotten. Sorry again for being so long-winded. I said it above, there are no free lunches no matter whose diet you follow in my opinion. In order to lose weight, you have to watch your caloric intake (there's a reason why Ray recommends 1% milk, for example) and exercise without causing the stress hormones. I like lifting and walking.

Food is a DRUG and it can cause great harm in the body and it can be used to HEAL. I believe everything can be over-dosed and that is why I only do liver once per week, for example, per Ray's recommendation. I no longer take supplements of any kind because none of them work as effectively as OJ, milk, milk products, liver, potatoes, healthy protein sources, fruit, etc. and so forth.

Peatful

Here is my typical day:

Never ever eat:
Legumes.
Carrageenan.

Hi @danielbb
Welcome to the forum.
Can you tell me where online are you reading Lings work?
Mostly in that one place or elsewhere too?
Thank you.

danielbb

Hi @danielbb
Welcome to the forum.
Can you tell me where online are you reading Lings work?
Mostly in that one place or elsewhere too?
Thank you.
Thank you for the welcome Peatful!

I found Gilbert's site by the link Ray posted on his website Why science cannot conquer cancer/AIDS without your help

This article from the site is one of the few I really can even grasp at this point and it is a 400 word summary of his theory on how cell's operate:

http://www.gilbertling.org/pdf/A 400 Word Summary of the Association-Induction Hypothesis.pdf

Peatful

vulture

Since you mentioned depression Waremu, I'll comment on that. I've suffered from it my whole life but usually it was manageable by simply refusing to give in to it. I noticed that once I gave up starch, all feelings of depression left me. I would have posted that initially but I wasn't sure if people would believe me. I don't even have negative thoughts anymore as hard as that is to believe. I don't believe I've heard Ray explicitly say this, but my theory based on anecdotal evidence of one is that depression as an inflammatory reaction to what we eat. That is the only explanation that makes sense to me. In fact, I believe that the nutrition advice Ray provides is designed to heal the body and un-do the bad stuff you did before. The anti-inflammatory diet if you will. I've healed so many things and people shake their heads when I tell them. They think I have lost my marbles saying these things.

Ray talks about runny nose and how that is linked to bowl endotoxins. I've cured a perpetual runny nose because of this one revelation. I always used to make excuses for it like it's cold outside or it is allergy season. The runny nose was history after removing starch as I had already eliminated PUFA yet still had the runny nose.

I've also cured plantar faciitas (probably also because I've lost weight), ED, high blood pressure, low thyroid, frequent headaches, poor digestion, mood swings, gynocomastia, and dark circles under eyes along with overall improvement of skin quality, among other things. The most interesting one of all is skin tags. These are white skin protrusions on the eye-lids and around the eye. I never thought these would ever go away without some type of laser surgery to remove them. Mine have miraculously disappeared. The only conclusion I have drawn is that skin tags are also an inflammatory reaction to what we eat. I no longer drink alcohol because I found I no longer need it. When you are operating at 100%, you can only go down hill from there. I am 58 years old and feel like a 16 year old boy. I know these things must sound ridiculous to hear them, but these are the types of results I've gotten. Sorry again for being so long-winded. I said it above, there are no free lunches no matter whose diet you follow in my opinion. In order to lose weight, you have to watch your caloric intake (there's a reason why Ray recommends 1% milk, for example) and exercise without causing the stress hormones. I like lifting and walking.

Food is a DRUG and it can cause great harm in the body and it can be used to HEAL. I believe everything can be over-dosed and that is why I only do liver once per week, for example, per Ray's recommendation. I no longer take supplements of any kind because none of them work as effectively as OJ, milk, milk products, liver, potatoes, healthy protein sources, fruit, etc. and so forth.
Amazing to read all this. And despite people could say it's "too miraclous" to be possible, it isn't. It's not the easiest thing to avoid PUFA, muscle meats and lots of processed junk almost floating around and people asking you to go eat with them or supposing you should but you can't because they are used to eat those things...it's easier to think you could go to a doctor and he can prescribe some stuff and ask some labs and prescribe further stuff and that's it...

danielbb

Amazing to read all this. And despite people could say it's "too miraclous" to be possible, it isn't. It's not the easiest thing to avoid PUFA, muscle meats and lots of processed junk almost floating around and people asking you to go eat with them or supposing you should but you can't because they are used to eat those things...it's easier to think you could go to a doctor and he can prescribe some stuff and ask some labs and prescribe further stuff and that's it...
I am not trying to keep bouncing this thread topic but people in this community keep saying things that are resonating with me. I am trying to get people that I know to heal themselves with diet and not via prescription - if possible. Most think I am a one-off (or outlier if you will) and what I've discovered only applies to me. I beg to differ with them. Thank you everyone for your insights. It's nice to know others have experienced similar things. I will concede that everyone is different and can have different reactions to things. But there are general principles of healing that can be followed. For instance, PUFA is an absolute deal-killer. Should not be included in anyone's diet imho.

Lolinaa

I am not trying to keep bouncing this thread topic but people in this community keep saying things that are resonating with me. I am trying to get people that I know to heal themselves with diet and not via prescription - if possible. Most think I am a one-off (or outlier if you will) and what I've discovered only applies to me. I beg to differ with them. Thank you everyone for your insights. It's nice to know others have experienced similar things. I will concede that everyone is different and can have different reactions to things. But there are general principles of healing that can be followed. For instance, PUFA is an absolute deal-killer. Should not be included in anyone's diet imho.

Hi Daniel, I couldn't agree more. The sad thing is pufa is becoming the normal way of eating for most people.
I went on holidays, even in the Wholefood market foodhall it was difficult to find healthy food without pufa in it.

I went to only one restaurant a "Yo sushi", and I asked to take away some beef and white rice. When I opened the bag once I was far it was chicken instead of beef. The eggs at breakfast were cooked in oil too at the hotel. I have eaten, but god I am back to step1 with the pufa.

I cant only do milk and orange juice or fruits. I need some hot meal. I dont have any difficulty to stop any gluten food but rice is very hard for me to stop or diminish, as it has been my main food since childhood and Peat said it was ok. I will try to diminish to just twice or 3/week only.

What do you eat in a day for example?

Last edited:

danielbb

@Lolinaa - thank you. I have been recommending Coke before bed but am now backing off that because another member here had a negative reaction to that. I am convinced what you eat before bed affects your hormonal output for the next day however. We'll have to keep experimenting with that.

To answer your question, for breakfast, I like Greek Yogurt, milk, OJ, and some fruit sprinkled with salt for breakfast. If I have it available, I like a cookie or two or cake using zucchini flour in place of regular wheat flour. I posted the recipes using zucchini flour in the thread entitled "Low Libido Advice."

Lunch lately has been a raw carrot and some milk. Sometimes I'll have some meat and fruit with lunch as well. I've been drinking about 8 cups of milk throughout the day along with about 2 cups of OJ because it seems to make me feel better.

For dinner, I usually have some type of unprocessed meat - with burgers (no bun) for some strange reason working well for me. I like well-cooked white mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or white rice with my evening meal and often include other well-cooked vegetables. Those are my main exceptions to not eating starch but they all seem to make me feel better the next day. Sometimes some fruit with dinner as well. I've gotten down to very basic things because it seems like I am operating at 100%. I eat liver once per week and that seems to be a wonder drug. For an evening dessert, lately we have been eating homemade ice cream but you have to watch that as it is easy to gain weight if you eat too much. I've found if you eat too much of anything you will gain weight. By eliminating processed starch such as in flour and I believe legumes as well based on Ray Peat's advice, I've cured myself of runny nose and more importantly depression/anxiety. Hope that helps!

DDK

Since you mentioned depression Waremu, I'll comment on that. I've suffered from it my whole life but usually it was manageable by simply refusing to give in to it. I noticed that once I gave up starch, all feelings of depression left me. I would have posted that initially but I wasn't sure if people would believe me. Ray talks about runny nose and how that is linked to bowl endotoxins. I've cured a perpetual runny nose because of this one revelation. I always used to make excuses for it like it's cold outside or it is allergy season. The runny nose was history after removing starch as I had already eliminated PUFA yet still had the runny nose.

You said you still eat potatoes and white rice? So did you or didn't you give up starch?

Lolinaa

@danielbb: great advice, thank you.
I tend to eat like that already, except for the coke I have it sometimes only with meat because of the caffeine or in the afternoon when my energy is low.

I dont mind gaining weight actually. When I started peating I was very thin. The icecream at night and cypro helped me a lot, as well as eating rice and lots of butter in it too. I also have raw whole milk instead of low fat as I don't like the taste of the free fat.

Now I mainly focus on diet, a bit of thyroid. Progesterone in my second semestre. No more supplements for me, with all the excipients nowadays better limiting to only when needed.

danielbb

You said you still eat potatoes and white rice? So did you or didn't you give up starch?
@DDK - good question. I use the term starch loosely sometimes but what I've found to be inflammatory, is processed flour, grain, and legumes. As far as I know, Ray Peat speaks fairly highly of well-cooked potatoes. He claims the starch is broken down in the cooking process so they are safe for consumption. They work exceedingly well for me. The only comments I could find for him for rice was they were a good way to gain weight without much nutritional value. I don't each much rice to be honest but I've noticed no negative reactions to it. I also feel good the next day after eating it. Sweet potatoes he said that one can over-do it on the beta carotene but they work well for me from time to time. I mostly stick to white mashed potatoes because of the hormonal response I get. I use biofeedback to test inflammation. I usually will notice puffiness and/or redness in the face, poor digestion, and/or runny nose when I eat something inflammatory. When I eliminated processed starch, grains, and legumes, my runny nose disappeared and my feelings of well being improved greatly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals