Scalp Progesterone For Hair Loss Experiment

Progesterone

Going to stop everything for now, and only use the following:

Peppermint essential oil
Rosemary essential oil

Drops applied in water bottle and sprayed on head twice daily, morning/night. (Perhaps I should switch to adding to a carrier oil but will look into it)

Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized... - Abstract - Europe PMC
Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs
Use of Systemic Rosmarinus Officinalis to Enhance the Survival of Random-Pattern Skin Flaps. - PubMed - NCBI
Biological activities of Rosmarinus officinalis L. (rosemary) extract as analyzed in microorganisms and cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Possibly thinking of adding in high-dose aspirin but have heard mixed reviews.

dreamcatcher

Going to stop everything for now, and only use the following:

Peppermint essential oil
Rosemary essential oil

Drops applied in water bottle and sprayed on head twice daily, morning/night. (Perhaps I should switch to adding to a carrier oil but will look into it)

Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized... - Abstract - Europe PMC
Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs
Use of Systemic Rosmarinus Officinalis to Enhance the Survival of Random-Pattern Skin Flaps. - PubMed - NCBI
Biological activities of Rosmarinus officinalis L. (rosemary) extract as analyzed in microorganisms and cells. - PubMed - NCBI

Possibly thinking of adding in high-dose aspirin but have heard mixed reviews.
I use Avalon organics atm, look at the ingredients.

Attachments

• IMG_20180815_140257.jpg
    IMG_20180815_140257.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180815_140334~2.jpg
    IMG_20180815_140334~2.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 19

dreamcatcher

Looks good. How's it working for your hair so far?

I may use jojoba as oil carrier, for the peppermint and rosemary, so it stays locked on scalp for a while.
I shed less than before.
Ray Peat told me a few days ago that I might be chronically deficient in progesterone, thyroid, vitamin D, magnesium and calcium.
I've ordered progesterone which arrived yesterday (Progest-E by Kenogen). I originally ordered progesterone from healthnatura but will return the product once it arrives because of this (from Ray Peat):
"People have described inappropriate results from some of the products. He seems to give the impression that I recommend using those products, but I don’t. I know that Progest-E Complex from Kenogen uses only the best ingredients (and not from China), and is cheaper. He recalled some of his progesterone because it crystallized, which revealed something about his formula; I suspect that he had to change to a glass bottle because of the ingredients’ effects on the plastic."
I supplement 5000IU vitamin D which I started 5 days ago and 2000mg calcium. Ray Peat suggested these amounts to correct a deficiency.
I get my calcium from eggshells and a bit of cheese. ( Ray Peat recommended milk OR cheese but he knows that milk causes eye bags in my case.)

Last edited:

Progesterone

Ive used the rosemary shampoo(gf at the time bought it) its pretty good

Nice.

I would imagine applying directly on scalp and leaving it on may be even better.

I shed less than before.
Ray Peat told me a few days ago that I might be chronically deficient in progesterone, vitamin D, magnesium and calcium.
I've ordered progesterone which arrived yesterday (Progest-E by Kenogen). I originally ordered progesterone from healthnatura but will return the product once it arrives because of this (from Ray Peat):
"People have described inappropriate results from some of the products. He seems to give the impression that I recommend using those products, but I don’t. I know that Progest-E Complex from Kenogen uses only the best ingredients (and not from China), and is cheaper. He recalled some of his progesterone because it crystallized, which revealed something about his formula; I suspect that he had to change to a glass bottle because of the ingredients’ effects on the plastic."
I supplement 5000IU vitamin D which I started 5 days ago and 2000mg calcium. Ray Peat suggested these amounts to correct a deficiency.
I get my calcium from eggshells and a bit of cheese. ( Ray Peat recommended milk OR cheese but he knows that milk causes eye bags in my case.)

The quality of health natura's Prog is pretty much second to none, in my opinion and experience. Better than Progest-E, I would say. AFAIK, Progest-E uses a plastic bottle?! and Health natura definitely uses glass. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the quality of health natura's progesterone. It's also much easier to use as it's not as densely thick as Progest-E.

Thanks for the info btw :)

dreamcatcher

Nice.

I would imagine applying directly on scalp and leaving it on may be even better.

The quality of health natura's Prog is pretty much second to none, in my opinion and experience. Better than Progest-E, I would say. AFAIK, Progest-E uses a plastic bottle?! and Health natura definitely uses glass. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the quality of health natura's progesterone. It's also much easier to use as it's not as densely thick as Progest-E.

Thanks for the info btw :)
Yes, Progest-E is in plastic bottle. I trust the brand as I used it in the past as well. However, the size of the hole on the bottle has changed (bigger) and a lot of product comes out by squeezing the bottle. So no clear drops. Previously it was written on the bottle that 1 drop contains 3mg of progesterone.

Progesterone

Randomized trial of aromatherapy. Successful treatment for alopecia areata. - PubMed - NCBI

Randomized trial of aromatherapy. Successful treatment for alopecia areata.
Hay IC1, Jamieson M, Ormerod AD.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To investigate the efficacy of aromatherapy in the treatment of patients with alopecia areata.

DESIGN:
A randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of 7 months' duration, with follow-up at 3 and 7 months.

SETTING:
Dermatology outpatient department.

PARTICIPANTS:
Eighty-six patients diagnosed as having alopecia areata.

INTERVENTION:
Eighty-six patients were randomized into 2 groups. The active group massaged essential oils (thyme, rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood) in a mixture of carrier oils (jojoba and grapeseed) into their scalp daily. The control group used only carrier oils for their massage, also daily.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:
Treatment success was evaluated on sequential photographs by 2 dermatologists (I.C.H. and A.D.O.) independently. Similarly, the degree of improvement was measured by 2 methods: a 6-point scale and computerized analysis of traced areas of alopecia.

RESULTS:
Nineteen (44%) of 43 patients in the active group showed improvement compared with 6 (15%) of 41 patients in the control group (P = .008). An alopecia scale was applied by blinded observers on sequential photographs and was shown to be reproducible with good interobserver agreement (kappa = 0.84). The degree of improvement on photographic assessment was significant (P = .05). Demographic analysis showed that the 2 groups were well matched for prognostic factors.

CONCLUSIONS:
The results show aromatherapy to be a safe and effective treatment for alopecia areata. Treatment with these essential oils was significantly more effective than treatment with the carrier oil alone (P = .008 for the primary outcome measure). We also successfully applied an evidence-based method to an alternative therapy.

Progesterone

Starting clomid tonight. Either 12.5mg or 25mg EOD. Boost T. Lots of studies for it being used for up to 3yrs in hypogonadal men.

• At the Polish Urology Clinic in Bialystok15 doctors consistently found low testosterone in men with BPH and MPB.
  • At the Principe Hospital in Spain men with prostate cancer had low testosterone levels compared to healthy men as verified by both serum and saliva testing. Again at the Principe Hospital another study confirmed these findings with another group of men.
  • In China, 18 doctors studied men with BPH and MPB and found consistently low levels of testosterone generally.
  • At the Harbor General Hospital in California it was shown that testosterone itself competes for binding in the prostate against DHT. When testosterone levels fall more DHT successfully binds thus causing dysfunction and DHT accumulation. A similar process is thought to occur in androgenetic alopecia.
I know I have low T, so yeah.. trying this.

I did use clomid yrs ago for 2-3 yrs when I was 20-23 or so, was at my peak/prime and hair was thick af.

My T in july 2016 was in the 200's. I did run RU58841 (antiandrogen) oct-dec 2015, perhaps I never recovered..

Luckytype

Starting clomid tonight. Either 12.5mg or 25mg EOD. Boost T. Lots of studies for it being used for up to 3yrs in hypogonadal men.

• At the Polish Urology Clinic in Bialystok15 doctors consistently found low testosterone in men with BPH and MPB.
  • At the Principe Hospital in Spain men with prostate cancer had low testosterone levels compared to healthy men as verified by both serum and saliva testing. Again at the Principe Hospital another study confirmed these findings with another group of men.
  • In China, 18 doctors studied men with BPH and MPB and found consistently low levels of testosterone generally.
  • At the Harbor General Hospital in California it was shown that testosterone itself competes for binding in the prostate against DHT. When testosterone levels fall more DHT successfully binds thus causing dysfunction and DHT accumulation. A similar process is thought to occur in androgenetic alopecia.
I know I have low T, so yeah.. trying this.

I did use clomid yrs ago for 2-3 yrs when I was 20-23 or so, was at my peak/prime and hair was thick af.

My T in july 2016 was in the 200's. I did run RU58841 (antiandrogen) oct-dec 2015, perhaps I never recovered..

Did you ever have a cholesterol panel alongside thyroid done?

Progesterone

TSH of 4 isnt healthy at all

Yes, this was in July 2016. My temps were terribly low at this time as well. I was on a low-carb diet, not sure if that played into it.

But I have taken Tyromix since, 2 separate times. Temps are good now.

I will retest it eventually but I don't think thyroid is my problem per se.

Also I go hyperthyroid real quick when using tyromix now.

I have a 160 day supply of clomid, if I take 12.5mg a day. Took my 1st pill today, here we go...

This either is brilliant for my hair or a complete nightmare, we shall see.

At least I'll bring my low T up, it was like 220, in July 2016.

clomid will raise T, E2, SHBG - all by a lot.

Should be decent for hair. When I was on it years ago I was in the prime of my life, and hair was fantastic. Can't remember if I was on it for 2 or 3 years, but they were damn good years.

brix

Clomid didn’t help me. However, I only took it for a couple of months max. It didn’t help with libido or hair, unfortunately. My T was in 400s last time I checked a couple summers ago. Curious where it is now.

My hair stopped shedding with low dose 5-keto-dht, low dose prog, and low dose topical cyproheptadine in my shampoo.

Progesterone

Clomid didn’t help me. However, I only took it for a couple of months max. It didn’t help with libido or hair, unfortunately. My T was in 400s last time I checked a couple summers ago. Curious where it is now.

My hair stopped shedding with low dose 5-keto-dht, low dose prog, and low dose topical cyproheptadine in my shampoo.

Interesting brix!

What dosage of Clomid were you taking, and how many months were you on it altogether if you have to guess?

I have a 160 day supply, 12.5mg Daily. Let's see how it goes.

Clomid didn't make your hair loss any worse though, right?

Interesting about the low dose 5-keto-dht (which product is this from idealabs?) and low dose prog... what do you classify as low dosage for prog, and topical right?

Are you still using 5-keto-dht and progesterone now? Do you find these also thickened up your hair or just helped with shedding?

Progesterone

@brix you ever used LLLT?

I have an OMG Helmet, 400 diodes 650nm wavelength.

I used it back in 2015 with seemingly decent results (in terms of hair quality, shine, etc) but stopped using it, and unknowingly, my power supply/connection was faulty after a while, so I gave up on it. (It wouldn't stay on properly, half the lasers lit up, etc, I just said the hell with it).

I just fixed the issue with the faulty connection, and the laser helmet is working perfectly now.

So I am adding this to my bag of tricks, as well as starting the clomid 12.5mg/ED.

I will use the laser helmet for 20minutes, EOD.

Progesterone

Some picture proof for LLLT vs Placebo.

"Principal exclusion criteria included significant abnormalities on screening physical examination or laboratory evaluation, surgical correction of scalp hair loss, topical Minoxidil use within one-year, use of drugs with androgenetic or antiandrogenetic properties, use of finasteride or other 5aR inhibitors, or alopecia due to other causes. Men and women were instructed not to alter their hairstyle or dye their hair during the studies."

Results. Treatment with LDS 100 led to durable improvements in scalp hair over 1 year (p < 0.001 versus placebo, all endpoints), while treatment with placebo led to progressive hair loss. LDS 100 was generally well tolerated and no new safety concerns were identified during long-term use.
Conclusions. In men with MPHL and in women with FPHL, long-term treatment with LDS 100 over 1 year was well tolerated, led to durable improvements in scalp hair growth, and slowed the further progression of hair loss that occurred without treatment.

lds100-9.jpg