Whenever I "hardcore" Peat, I Lose All Motivation. How To Be Both Relaxed And Motivated?

Wagner83

I'd rather like to keep the GABA up. I find it to have pretty potent health benefits. I figure increasing motivation is just a matter of increasing dopamine more. Perhaps mine isn't optimal. I have heard, though, that GABA decreases dopamine. I don't know how true that is, but I've also read supplements like tyrosine and caffeine have anti-GABA effects and they certainly feel like they do. So perhaps I have no choice but to lower GABA if I want to be more motivated. I really enjoy high GABA, from a personality standpoint, even. It seems to reduce the tendency I used to have to micromanage my life. My quality of life has, by extension, greatly improved. For this reason, I am pretty wary of decreasing GABA. I'd rather not go back down that road.
I think It might even interfere with gonadal function at some point, sexual function for sure (I forwarded haidut's links to studies in one of the fap thread) , but the anti-depressant and anti-drive effects are not desireable for me, it's just numbing. Perhaps quantity is what matters. I'd definitely consider this as a potential problem when there's an obvious lack of motivation and perhaps honesty to look at what needs a change. An other possible marker would be unoptimal coordination (which you may have reported on video games). Again I don't know what you use nor what you experience but I'm just sharing one possibility among many.

Anders86

A person make the case that supplemental potassium iodide (KI) is unnatural, yet they'd be a hypocrite should they also eat salt (NaCl). These are almost like yin & yang pairs because Na⁺ is the counterion of K⁺ and Cl⁻ is that of I⁻. High-salt diets displace iodide ions gained from natural food, even land food, and supplementing potassium iodide to counter this would be no less natural than eating the salt that'd displaced it. Commercial iodized salt has an insignificant amount of iodide and is adulterated by aluminum silicates to prevent aggregation, or that that 'salt clumping' you get with sea salt. I intend on making my own iodized salt using potassium iodide, perhaps in a 1∶10 ratio, to counter the negative effects of both increased Na⁺ and Cl⁻.

I do like getting everything from food, but will take an exception with iodide because I also consume salt.

Plants have more selenium that what is commonly shown in charts because it exists primarily as selenocysteine, selenomethionine, and selenohomocysteine. When minerals are analyzed in most food analysis applications they are homogenized and centrifuged with only the supernatant analyzed by flame spectroscopy. This determines the free inorganic selenium species such as Se²⁻, SeO₃²⁻, and SeO₄²⁻ in the soluble phase yet ignores the protein-bound majority discarded with the precipitate. Selenized-yeast is widely available and contains mostly selenomethionine, a species having lower toxicity than inorganic selenium ions. Iodothyronine deiodinase is also a selenoenzyme.

I have never thought of salt as supplement, but indeed it is!

In Norway we have this "Mineralsalt" with 50% salt and 20% Natrium chloride 20% Potassium chloride, 0,005% Potassium iodide, 2% magnesium sulfate etc..

What would your opinion on this "salt" be?
I avoid it, but after this comment my curiousness peaked a bit.

Say I would make a broth of vegetables and greens, would the selenium be available?

Edit: I see the 1:10 ratio in this salt is non existent..

Pwxp7zj.jpg

Last edited:

Amazoniac

A person make the case that supplemental potassium iodide (KI) is unnatural, yet they'd be a hypocrite should they also eat salt (NaCl). These are almost like yin & yang pairs because Na⁺ is the counterion of K⁺ and Cl⁻ is that of I⁻. High-salt diets displace iodide ions gained from natural food, even land food, and supplementing potassium iodide to counter this would be no less natural than eating the salt that'd displaced it. Commercial iodized salt has an insignificant amount of iodide and is adulterated by aluminum silicates to prevent aggregation, or that that 'salt clumping' you get with sea salt. I intend on making my own iodized salt using potassium iodide, perhaps in a 1∶10 ratio, to counter the negative effects of both increased Na⁺ and Cl⁻.

I do like getting everything from food, but will take an exception with iodide because I also consume salt.

Plants have more selenium that what is commonly shown in charts because it exists primarily as selenocysteine, selenomethionine, and selenohomocysteine. When minerals are analyzed in most food analysis applications they are homogenized and centrifuged with only the supernatant analyzed by flame spectroscopy. This determines the free inorganic selenium species such as Se²⁻, SeO₃²⁻, and SeO₄²⁻ in the soluble phase yet ignores the protein-bound majority discarded with the precipitate. Selenized-yeast is widely available and contains mostly selenomethionine, a species having lower toxicity than inorganic selenium ions. Iodothyronine deiodinase is also a selenoenzyme.
I just realized how few people question why iodid is popular when combined with potash, but not soda.

- Diseases of the Alimentary Tract–Ruminant - ScienceDirect

"Iodides are still a standard treatment for both actinomycosis and actinobacillosis. In the former, the results are relatively inefficient, but in actinobacillosis, response is usually dramatic and permanent. Laboratory studies suggest that iodides have little bactericidal effect against A. lignieresii. It is probable that iodides exert their effect by reducing the severity of the fibrous tissue reaction.

Oral or intravenous dosing of iodides may be used. Potassium iodide, 6 to 10 g/day for 7 to 10 days, given orally to cattle, is effective. Treatment must be discontinued when symptoms of iodism develop. Lacrimation, anorexia, coughing, and the appearance of dandruff indicate that maximum systemic levels of iodine have been reached. Sodium iodide (70 mg/kg) [!!] can be given intravenously as a 10% or 20 % solution in one dose to both cattle and sheep. One course of potassium iodide or one injection of sodium iodide is usually sufficient for soft-tissue lesions, with the acute signs in actinobacillosis disappearing in 24 to 48 hours after treatment. At least one or preferably two further treatments at 10- to 14-day intervals are required for bony lesions.

Occasionally animals show distress, including restlessness, dyspnea, tachycardia, and staggering during injections of sodium iodide. Abortion occasionally occurs following the treatment of heavily pregnant cows with sodium iodide. This has not been reproduced in an experimental study; however, although uncommon, it is wise to advise the owner of this risk. Subcutaneous injections of sodium iodide cause severe irritation and local swelling immediately. The irritation disappears within an hour or two but the swelling persists for some days. Subcutaneous injection is the standard route of administration for sheep, with the dose rate of sodium iodide being 20 mL of a 10% solution weekly for 4 to 5 weeks."​

For the same reason that sodium bicarbonate is safer than potassium in larger amounts, perhaps so is iodide. It's one more reason to do the suspections that potassium iodide must have something special to it.

Another thing that I have realized is that I can refer to you as Travos, and in doing so, it's possible to place you in the Greek Entity club.

Travis

What would your opinion on this "salt" be?
I avoid it, but after this comment my curiousness peaked a bit.
I like that salt, and it has even more potassium than magnesium. This seems like a good thing to use, and even if you decide to use twice as much that also has the K⁺ counterion at a 2∶5 ratio. You might this could help keep more K⁺ in the cell and slow the progressive enrichment of Na⁺ seen during aging. I think this is a decent article on salt with many citations, and summarizes much of the historical data concerning cell growth and membrane potential.
Say I would make a broth of vegetables and greens, would the selenium be available?
I think some will be available because many proteins are globular and water-soluble, the very ones most-expected to have selenoamino acids (these are necessity for selenoenzymes). However: since ribosomes don't appear to discriminate between selenomethionine and methionine, these could in nearly any protein regardless of solubility status. I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this because selenoamino acids are not usually checked-for; even accurate data of peptide-bound glutamine concentrations, a much more common amino acid, are hard to come by: This is because the acid proteolysis step often used prior to analysis—turning proteins into free amino acids—converts glutamine into glutamate + ammonia (NH₃). Measuring the ammonia content leads nowhere because the same thing happens to asparagine.