Is There A Limit To How Much Gelatin To Have In A Day?

Josh

What’s the limit to Great Lakes gelatin per day, what could happen if overdo it?

At the moment I’ll have at least one tablespoon a day, if I’m eating more ground beef in the day I’ll have two table spoons.. in terms of balance of the amino acids etc, is neccesary to get other meats/or dairy to balance out the gelatin? Or would there be anything wrong with eating more gelatin protein than protein coming from dairy and ground beef for example in a day? Is it safe to do that?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
From the article:
a daily intake of 100 grams of gelatin wouldn't seem unreasonable, Ray Peat

Glassy

I sometimes eat close to 100g both as jelly/jello and hydrolysed collagen (a couple of big soup spoons in OJ), but I usually just have it with meals (especially if I have animal meat). I think of it as a food rather than a supplement will often cook with the gelatine.

Some people find it upsets their stomach but I’ve not experienced it. Apparently the hydrolysed collagen is more easily digested and tolerated.

OP
J

Josh

I'm not sure if ive been having head aches since taking it, Could it be this? i was thinking it was the high glutamic acid content? Although great lakes state it is not like MSG and also obviously other meats like beef contain high amount of Glutamic Acid which i have never had an issue from and have eaten large ish amounts in a day in the past..
But then on top of it i will eat the gelatin power.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There have been members who have reported not tolerating gelatin or collagen in supplemental form but tolerating it fine from food. Some do well with one type as compared to another (gelatin v collagen). My personal sweet spot seems to be about 30 grams.

OP
J

Josh

There have been members who have reported not tolerating gelatin or collagen in supplemental form but tolerating it fine from food. Some do well with one type as compared to another (gelatin v collagen). My personal sweet spot seems to be about 30 grams.
Oh right got ya, the head ache is pretty mild, would you say it’s okay to carry on consuming?

Terma

It has a 2:1 ratio of arginine:lysine, this creeps up. Look at your total protein intake aminos, then supplement Lysine HCl to compensate, at minimum 1:1.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Oh right got ya, the head ache is pretty mild, would you say it’s okay to carry on consuming?
I like @Terma's thoughts. I just experimented and found that amount eliminates my menopausal night sweats.

Spartan300

Is there an easy way of consuming higher levels of gelatin?

30g would be 4 or 5 tbsp of raw powder?

When I use it I let 1tbsp bloom in cold water for 10 - 15min & then heat in microwave to end up with a gloopyish drink. Chugging 5 of those a day could be a challenge..

Glassy

30g would be 4 or 5 tbsp of raw powder?

When I use it I let 1tbsp bloom in cold water for 10 - 15min & then heat in microwave to end up with a gloopyish drink. Chugging 5 of those a day could be a challenge..

I mix 100g gelatine with 250-300g nice cordial and then add water to make 1kg (1000g). I let it hydrate for 30mins to an hour and then heat until it dissolves then set in a lasagne dish (it’s convenient for me) in the fridge. 2 x 150g slices of this jelly yields you 30g gelatine. If you cut it into 10 slices you’d have 10g gelatine per slice. It makes a nice snack or desert (especially after a flesh heavy meal). I wrap slices up and take it to work as a snack. You can add more or less cordial for your taste but watch that it doesn’t have anything you don’t want in it (I accidentally bought some cordial with artificial sweetener once). I measure everything with scales after taring with the pot so I don’t have much washing up.

Glassy

No problems. I find it’s pretty easy to get gelatine in this way but I have to make a batch every couple of days because the whole family eats it.

You can make it more concentrated but it becomes quite chewy and harder to eat.

Spartan300

It turned out pretty good but it's actually a bit hard going at the bottom of the dish - maybe I didn't let it bloom long enough.......

Glassy

It turned out pretty good but it's actually a bit hard going at the bottom of the dish - maybe I didn't let it bloom long enough.......

Yeah sounds like it didn’t disolve fully. Did you heat it in a pot? Once it’s bloomed it doesn’t take much heat or very long to disolve but it does need to be heated or it will be a bit grainy. I always bloom in cold liquid and then heat on the stove (once it starts to disolve I give it a stir as the stuff on the bottom can stick).

Spartan300

I let it bloom in cold liquid for around 45min before putting it in the oven for a while on medium heat. Nothing stuck in the pan but the lower quarter of the jelly in the dish is really chewy & feels a bit indigestible.

Glassy

It sounds like it’s just really concentrated down the bottom of the dish. I’ve made batches where I’ve disolved too much gelatine in too little liquid and it’s almost like leather.

Try heating it in a pot on a medium heat on the stove then pouring it into a dish to set next time. 45 mins should be long enough to bloom as long as you give it a good stir at start and while heating.

It’s firmer than regular jelly but not chewy.

tara

Make a stiff jelly with fruit juice and optionally a bit of extra sucrose to taste. Portable snack.
I always bloom in cold liquid and then heat on the stove (once it starts to disolve I give it a stir as the stuff on the bottom can stick).
+1
eg
Mix ~ 1 cup gelatin with 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar in pot, pour in ~ 1 litre or more fruit juice depending on how stiff I want it, stir immediately, let it stand for 10 mins
Heat while stirring occasionally till fully dissolved.
Pour into wide dish. Leave to cool and set. Cut into pieces with knife.
Store in fridge for a couple of days, or in freezer if longer (eg if you make a bigger batch).
Put pieces in a box to take out.

TripleOG

+1 to the homemade jello idea.

Using frozen OJ concentrate with gelatin powder (with a bit of extra water) has been a mainstay since I first tried it. Great way to pack in the calories/nutrients without excess liquid. :):

Spartan300

Thanks all, I think the mistake I made was to bloom & heat in the same dish rather than stirring while heating in a pan before pouring into the shallow dish.

I did it all in the flat dish & after blooming it didn't get another stir....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals