15 Grams Of Potassium A Day Without Supplements: Perfectly Possible

Amazoniac

At first I thought that a theoretical diet which could provide 15 g of potash a day would be challenging to construct, but once the good food sources were collected, to my surprise it wasn't difficult at all.

This is not to encourage anyone to elaborate diets based on apps, to restrict table salt, or that such high intakes are needed. The main purpose of the thread is to eliminate the idea that eating plenty of potash is an arduous task.

A lot of these foods are boiled and drained: it's possible to obtain even more than what's reported here by cooking them with just enough liquid to get them done, so that it reduces to a thick sauce (plug); or by reusing the remaining liquid later on to cook others foods.

The only cheatings on the list are: raw carrots, raw shooting of the bamboos, and dried fruits. The vegetables because I suspect the potassium isn't as available in them. Dried foods, because I didn't want to include them at first, it's somewhat unfair for being dehydrated, but then decided to include them since they're also good sources.

Some fishes contain a surprising amount.
There are a variety of beans but adding them all would be of the laborious.

While editing this post, I realized you can export .csv files from Cron-o-meter but no longer import them. It's a shame because it would be more convenient to just import a list. I probably forgot about a few but it's comprehensive enough:
upload_2018-5-10_15-4-40.png

upload_2018-5-10_15-5-2.png

Adding them this way allows you to quickly play with different combinations that add up to 15 g or more if you wanted to.
--

And here's a reasonable example that doesn't have anything extreme:
upload_2018-5-10_15-5-44.png

upload_2018-5-10_15-5-55.png

Believe it or not, the hard time was balancing calcium and phosphorus. :ss

156.jpg

Source: Calorie of the Kings

Last edited:

EIRE24

Substitute one of the greens for spinach and add chocolate to milch for example, both happen to be good sources of potash as vvell.
Yea I think the greens broth is a good idea ir just some well cooked spinach.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

For those that think these amounts are absurd, they're not. There are estimates of ancestral diets with such high intakes (sometimes more but they seem to be pushing it).

The Evolution-Informed Optimal Dietary Potassium Intake of Human Beings Greatly Exceeds Current and Recommended Intakes

For conversion:
mg = (mEq*atomic weight)/valence

For potassium (or as michael would say pot-ash):
mg = (mEq*39)/1
mg = mEq*39​

What in fact is absurd is how little people consume on average:

Sodium and potassium intakes among US adults: NHANES 2003–2008 | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic
"Overall, dietary potassium intake was less than sodium intake. The median usual potassium intake was 2631 mg (IQR: 2164 mg, 3161 mg) among US adults aged ≥20 y in 2003–2008 (Table 4). Usual daily intake of <2% of US adults met guidelines (1.4%; 95% CI: 1.2%, 1.7%)."

So it's also estimated that less than 2% of the adult population in the US and A consume more than 4700 mg a day.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Tipping the hatties for the @aguilaroja

Severe hyperkalemia associated with “alternative” nutritional cancer therapy - ScienceDirect

"A 52-year-old man was hospitalized in January 2005 with recurrent Hodgkin lymphoma. He had a 6-year history of diabetic mellitus and rheumatoid arthritis and the onset of Hodgkin lymphoma 10 months ago. He received four cycles of salvage chemotherapy (etoposide, vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and prednisolone) and achieved a second remission in April 2005 before he was discharged from the hospital."

"Two weeks after discharge, he was readmitted to receive high-dose chemotherapy for Hodgkin lymphoma."

"The patient reported that he had Gerson therapy at home. He took 2 l of freshly prepared juices from carrot and apple everyday for 12 days, until the day when he was hospitalized. He consumed 4–5kg of carrots and 200–300 g of apple everyday. The estimated intake of potassium was as more than 16,000 mg per day. After discontinuation of the Gerson therapy and continuation of the [↓ Travisoord!] medications, serum potassium levels remained normal."

"The hyperkalemia was treated with calcium gluconate, sodium bicarbonate, and glucose and insulin for 2 days. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), both meloxican and loxoprofen, were stopped. Serum potassium decreased to normal levels after 5-day treatment with saline infusion."

"Elevated serum potassium levels are common in diabetic patients.2 Possible etiologies include chronic renal failure, microvascular complications, hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism, insulin deficiency/resistance, and the use of antikaliuretic drugs such as potassium-sparing diuretics and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors.2,3 NSAIDs can induce hyperkalemia by decreasing aldosterone synthesis, renal blood flow, and glomerular filtration rate.4 Apple and orange juices contain a lot of potassium. Excessive intake of apple or orange juices cause hyperkalemia, especially in diabetic patients on antikaliuretic drugs.3,5 In our case, excessive intake of carrot/apple juices combined with underlying diabetes and the use of NSAIDs is likely the cause of severe hyperkalemia."​

I don't know if this person was supplementing some, but if he wasn't you have to add..
Homie G said:
we gave the patients large amounts of potassium.12 It took about 300 experiments until I found the right potassium combination. It is a 10% solution of potassium gluconate, potassium phosphate (monobasic), and potassium acetate.
100 grams (equal parts of each salt) dissolved in approx. 1 quart water.
..if my calculations are right: 28 g of potassium a day from supplements alone. I'm baffled.

I'll leave this in part as a warning, but other part supporting that even very high potassium intakes are safe if the conditions are right.

Last edited:

benaoao

Yeah I get 10g of potassium and 2.5g of sodium and it’s alright imo. Also magnesium, calcium and phosphorus all between 1g and 1.5g, although phosphorus can sometimes reach 2g if I eat muscle meat.

Nice studies you’re sharing, thanks for that!

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Tipping the hatties for the @aguilaroja

Severe hyperkalemia associated with “alternative” nutritional cancer therapy - ScienceDirect

"A 52-year-old man was hospitalized in January 2005 with recurrent Hodgkin lymphoma. He had a 6-year history of diabetic mellitus and rheumatoid arthritis and the onset of Hodgkin lymphoma 10 months ago. He received four cycles of salvage chemotherapy (etoposide, vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and prednisolone) and achieved a second remission in April 2005 before he was discharged from the hospital."

"Two weeks after discharge, he was readmitted to receive high-dose chemotherapy for Hodgkin lymphoma."

"The patient reported that he had Gerson therapy at home. He took 2 l of freshly prepared juices from carrot and apple everyday for 12 days, until the day when he was hospitalized. He consumed 4–5kg of carrots and 200–300 g of apple everyday. The estimated intake of potassium was as more than 16,000 mg per day. After discontinuation of the Gerson therapy and continuation of the [↓ Travisoord!] medications, serum potassium levels remained normal."

"The hyperkalemia was treated with calcium gluconate, sodium bicarbonate, and glucose and insulin for 2 days. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), both meloxican and loxoprofen, were stopped. Serum potassium decreased to normal levels after 5-day treatment with saline infusion."

"Elevated serum potassium levels are common in diabetic patients.2 Possible etiologies include chronic renal failure, microvascular complications, hyporeninemic hypoaldosteronism, insulin deficiency/resistance, and the use of antikaliuretic drugs such as potassium-sparing diuretics and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors.2,3 NSAIDs can induce hyperkalemia by decreasing aldosterone synthesis, renal blood flow, and glomerular filtration rate.4 Apple and orange juices contain a lot of potassium. Excessive intake of apple or orange juices cause hyperkalemia, especially in diabetic patients on antikaliuretic drugs.3,5 In our case, excessive intake of carrot/apple juices combined with underlying diabetes and the use of NSAIDs is likely the cause of severe hyperkalemia."​

I don't know if this person was supplementing some, but if he wasn't you have to add..

..if my calculations are right: 28 g of potassium a day from supplements alone. I'm baffled.

I'll leave this in part as a warning, but other part supporting that even very high potassium intakes are safe if the conditions are right.
It was only now that I connected the issue of potassium depletion after B12 injections with potassium supplementation in his therapy. Patients were injected with 100 mcg of B12 along with 3 cubic centimeters of liver extract (example) + 3x liver juice (ingested). The person doing it at home might have overlooked this.

Last edited:

Mito

So it's also estimated that less than 2% of the adult population in the US and A consume more than 4700 mg a day.
Even though only 2% of the adult population consume the RDA of potassium (any many probably significantly less), hypokalemia is very rare and is usually not caused by low dietary potassium. Where does the 4700 mg a day RDA come from? Is it too high? Why don’t 98% of the adult population suffer from the effects (i.e. high blood pressure, edema, etc.) of chronic potassium intake lower than the RDA?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Even though only 2% of the adult population consume the RDA of potassium (any many probably significantly less), hypokalemia is very rare and is usually not caused by low dietary potassium. Where does the 4700 mg a day RDA come from?
Mito, why are you bringing up hypokalemia? And if blood levels of magnesia are normal, there's no benefit from increasing its consumptia?

https://www.nap.edu/read/10925/chapter/7

"In nonhypertensive individuals who maintained potassium balance while consuming at least 1.6 g (40 mmol)/day of potassium, serum potassium concentrations were at the lower end of the clinically accepted normal range (Sebastian et al., 1971). As discussed subsequently, while potassium balance can be maintained at this lower level of dietary intake, if such levels are consumed chronically, clinically important adverse effects may result (Morris RC et al., 2001)."

"A low potassium diet (0.58 g [15 mmol]/day), which did not induce frank hypokalemia, resulted in a decrease in plasma insulin concentration and a resistance to insulin action, which were reversed when dietary potassium was supplemented with 4.8 g (64 mmol)/day of potassium chloride (Norbiato et al., 1984)."

"Because moderate potassium deficiency and its adverse side effects occur without hypokalemia, hypokalemia is not a sensitive indicator appropriate for use to establish adequacy."​

Is it too high?
No (Wagner, 2018). If anything, it's sub-optimal.

Why don’t 98% of the adult population suffer from the effects (i.e. high blood pressure, edema, etc.) of chronic potassium intake lower than the RDA?
The effect of Ramadan fasting and physical activity on anthropometrics, lipid profile and blood pressure of normal male students

--
"The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"
Diet, evolution and aging--the pathophysiologic effects of the post-agricultural inversion of the potassium-to-sodium and base-to-chloride ratios in the human diet

Mito

Mito, why are you bringing up hypokalemia?
Because I couldn’t find my anesthesiology book.

And if blood levels of magnesia are normal, there's no benefit from increasing its consumptia?
Serum potassium and magnesium are almost always in range unless there is an extreme dietary deficiency. But the consequences of a chronic “below the RDA” dietary intake of potassium include low-grade systemic metabolic acidosis (according to the link you provided) which doesn’t sound good even without my anesthesiology book.

“We argue that any level of acidosis may be unacceptable from an evolutionarily perspective, and indeed, that a low-grade metabolic alkalosis may be the optimal acid-base state for humans.”

Travis

Is it too high? Why don’t 98% of the adult population suffer from the effects (i.e. high blood pressure, edema, etc.) of chronic potassium intake lower than the RDA?

They do suffer from high blood pressure, as this progressively increases with age in most populations. The Yanomami Natives do not eat any salt whatsoever and consume a potassium sodium ratio of about 20∶1, due to their high intake of bananas and plants. The blood pressures of this tribe do not increase with age at all, certainly quite unique among modern humans. Although cardiovascular disease is caused by low ascorbate and/or high linoleate, blood pressure can accelerate the process by increasing collagen wear or causing emboli.

The increase in blood pressure can perhaps be understood by noting that tissue sodium concentrations also increase with age.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals