Vertigo!

Lurker

A friend was able to overcome vertigo with Miracle Salt as suggested by her chiropractor after the medical doctors had tried everything.

OP
ecstatichamster
sleeping in a recliner rather than a bed has completely fixed the vertigo. I do get it if I lay down for a few minutes, then stand suddenly. It's an inner ear thing...

D

danishispsychic

Vertigo is also linked to inner ear fungal infections, candida issues, etc. People on this forum like sugar, which feeds candida and fungus.
I agree.. in fact ... thanks to this fab forum... I started using Xylitol finally and low and behold .... my candida is simmering down, better dental health and feels like my inner ear is better. I still use swimmer drops too just to keep the ear wax ( TMI ) flowing. eeew.

shepherdgirl

This is probably not your problem, but in case it is: one summer i had terrible vertigo- i was riding trams, and for a long time after getting off the tram i would feel like i was still on the tram - ugh. the next summer was much much better riding trams. i credit a peaty diet and progesterone. iirc Dr Peat mentioned that estrogen can cause swelling in the inner ear. i think my progesterone levels had started dropping, producing vertigo symptoms. But after a year of supplemental progesterone the vertigo was much improved. I think this could possibly explain why some people get vertigo from progesterone - if it is pulling estrogen out of the cells you could get estrogenic symptoms.
Other ideas - high aldosterone and not enough salt/magnesium; BPPV vertigo, which is relieved by the Epley maneuver (there are youtube videos about it); issues with Meniere's.

Jon

Too much vitamin E caused my vertigo. Pretty sure it knocked my sodium levels way down and with my high potassium, magnesium, alkaline diet, pretty high test (818ng/dl) this made for a tough time getting it to go away as I understand those things make for a lower sodium concentration in the serum (though I could be wrong in my understanding). Two weeks of no supps (especially E) made it go away but it was subtle in its dissipation until one day I realized it was gone.

I haven't looked into it but I suspect it's actually rather difficult to shift electrolyte homeostasis (for better or for worse) based on my experience. It took about a month of daily 500IU of vitamin E to screw me up and two weeks to start to feel normal. I suppose this shift is difficult because electrolytes are so deeply intertwined with hormones; their function, release, inhibition, amount produced, etc. so the body possibly protects their status quo concentration fiercely. Because of this tendency to protect homeostasis, even a diet focus of lower potassium, higher sodium did nothing to help me except give me tinnitus lol.

Anxiety also worsened my vertigo (like it does most things) so good advice would also be to try to find confidence that it WILL go away. Sorry this is happening to you, it's miserable, I know. I think with time and a conservative approach this will go away sooner than later.

Too much vitamin E caused my vertigo. Pretty sure it knocked my sodium levels way down and with my high potassium, magnesium, alkaline diet, pretty high test (818ng/dl) this made for a tough time getting it to go away as I understand those things make for a lower sodium concentration in the serum (though I could be wrong in my understanding). Two weeks of no supps (especially E) made it go away but it was subtle in its dissipation until one day I realized it was gone.

I haven't looked into it but I suspect it's actually rather difficult to shift electrolyte homeostasis (for better or for worse) based on my experience. It took about a month of daily 500IU of vitamin E to screw me up and two weeks to start to feel normal. I suppose this shift is difficult because electrolytes are so deeply intertwined with hormones; their function, release, inhibition, amount produced, etc. so the body possibly protects their status quo concentration fiercely. Because of this tendency to protect homeostasis, even a diet focus of lower potassium, higher sodium did nothing to help me except give me tinnitus lol.

Anxiety also worsened my vertigo (like it does most things) so good advice would also be to try to find confidence that it WILL go away. Sorry this is happening to you, it's miserable, I know. I think with time and a conservative approach this will go away sooner than later.

Your story is very similar to mine. 1st time I got my dizziness was actually before peating when I was taking Fish Oil pills. At 1st, I assumed it was the Fish Oil, but the fish oil also contained vitamin E. Nowadays, anything with vitamin E or things that decrease estrogen, like Progesterone, will tend to make me dizzy. Sucks cuz the substances tend to be helpful in other ways. I wonder what it is. Last time getting a blood test, my doctor flagged my potassium levels because they were too high. You might be onto something with the mineral thing.

Max23

I have developed vertigo when I am waking up from sleeping the night and stand up. Sometimes it happens when I am lying down, and I feel dizzy.

Could this be an inner ear virus? Seems like something that came sort of quickly. It coincides with little or no starch and lots of nasal allergies that are a bit unusual for me in the summertime.

Edited to add: I am taking certirizine...maybe that's causing this??

My worst case with vertigo was when I dicontinued SSRIs and had the discontinuation syndrome. I couldn´t understand weather I was straight or falling down. I think it has something to do with blood flow in the head and neurons. Since Peatian thinking is anti serotonin and estrogen, those are powerful blood hormones and their reduction alters blood flow. I don´t know exactly how, but I think the answer lies there. Antihistamines, increased vitamin E, antibiotics, aspirin all work in the direction.

Also I have bad experience with aspirin because it is toxic to the ear (ototoxic). My tinnitus gets really loud and interfers with my hearing. Azithromycin is also toxic to the ear and several other antibiotics.

These are my thoughts about the subject. Hope this helps.

Jon

Your story is very similar to mine. 1st time I got my dizziness was actually before peating when I was taking Fish Oil pills. At 1st, I assumed it was the Fish Oil, but the fish oil also contained vitamin E. Nowadays, anything with vitamin E or things that decrease estrogen, like Progesterone, will tend to make me dizzy. Sucks cuz the substances tend to be helpful in other ways. I wonder what it is. Last time getting a blood test, my doctor flagged my potassium levels because they were too high. You might be onto something with the mineral thing.

I think peaty things tend to counter act sodium and acidity in general :/ for people like you and I in this situation that's not good. Magnesium toxicity can also cause dizziness and I think it intensified mine along with the E. the more I experience with this life style the less I thing supplementation should ever be used. Probably my fault for being ignorant to just how powerful these easily available substances can be lol.

I think peaty things tend to counter act sodium and acidity in general :/ for people like you and I in this situation that's not good. Magnesium toxicity can also cause dizziness and I think it intensified mine along with the E. the more I experience with this life style the less I thing supplementation should ever be used. Probably my fault for being ignorant to just how powerful these easily available substances can be lol.

It's funny that you mention acidity. When I take salt it really beneficial, especially for anxiety. When I switched to sodium bicarbonate, it helped my dizziness actually, but after awhile I start to feel worse, like my adrenaline levels rise too much. The magnesium is interesting. Ove been doing experiments with Magnesium lately and it seems to help, but I'm only a week or 2 into the experiment so we'll see how that pans out.

My hunch is that it has to do with oxidative metabolism. Quinones like the ones in Emodin, K2 and high does coq10 seem to help at times.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Vertigo is not the same as feeling dizzy, it’s much worse, often caused by calcium particles displaced in the ear, if this Foster maneuver (video) does not clear it then probably is caused by ear infection or sometimes chemical exposure if one is already very sensitive but most often ear infection if not calcium particles that are displaced into the semicircular canals of the labyrinth of the inner ear.

Jon

Ya know I was thinking about your potassium levels and I recall that insulin also carries potassium into the cell along with glucose. Maybe a potassium depletion is what you need. You should be able to do this upping your in take of things like white unenriched rice, and maple syrup as both of those have very little potassium and are nearly pure glucose. Also probably lowering your potassium rich foods and drinks to assure you're still getting some in but not excessive amounts. Maybe halving your intake to 1/2 the rda? Hopefully the higher glucose sans potassium will aid utilization of serum potassium and the lowered intake will help you excrete the rest of the excess.

Ya know I was thinking about your potassium levels and I recall that insulin also carries potassium into the cell along with glucose. Maybe a potassium depletion is what you need. You should be able to do this upping your in take of things like white unenriched rice, and maple syrup as both of those have very little potassium and are nearly pure glucose. Also probably lowering your potassium rich foods and drinks to assure you're still getting some in but not excessive amounts. Maybe halving your intake to 1/2 the rda? Hopefully the higher glucose sans potassium will aid utilization of serum potassium and the lowered intake will help you excrete the rest of the excess.

I had never thought of that, thanks for the tip! So look out for high glucose, low potassium foods.. got it

Jon

@ecstatichamster hey buddy I did some digging, went to the doctor, and some experimenting and I'm thinking I know why we're all feeling some vertigo and the normal cures aren't working.....we're all low in ferritin.

Obviously that's one thing most of us wouldn't think of being Peat followers and formatting our programs to prevent iron absorption and or antagonize serum iron.

Once I started doing the reverse of all of that my dizziness has dissipated but apparently ferritin takes time to raise so don't expect immediate relief. I started feeling better the next day after I ate a 12oz beef tenderloin and had a glass of oj along with some sautéed spinach. Iron exists in food for a reason and obviously we need it to some extent.

This is probably another Comment on how we all should make it a point to be aware of our particular needs in a given time and make sure we're not just implementing these protocols and dieting stratedgies aimlessly. Hope you get some relief.

OP
ecstatichamster
@ecstatichamster hey buddy I did some digging, went to the doctor, and some experimenting and I'm thinking I know why we're all feeling some vertigo and the normal cures aren't working.....we're all low in ferritin.

Obviously that's one thing most of us wouldn't think of being Peat followers and formatting our programs to prevent iron absorption and or antagonize serum iron.

Once I started doing the reverse of all of that my dizziness has dissipated but apparently ferritin takes time to raise so don't expect immediate relief. I started feeling better the next day after I ate a 12oz beef tenderloin and had a glass of oj along with some sautéed spinach. Iron exists in food for a reason and obviously we need it to some extent.

This is probably another Comment on how we all should make it a point to be aware of our particular needs in a given time and make sure we're not just implementing these protocols and dieting stratedgies aimlessly. Hope you get some relief.

my ferritin is fine. I had a blood test a few months ago. But good suggestion!

Jon

my ferritin is fine. I had a blood test a few months ago. But good suggestion!

Darn! Sorry man, haha I thought that'd be your answer!

But I suppose its still better than having low ferritin, it's a pain to get back up.