Sodium Carbonate Deodorant

Ras

Fearing the pollution that could be in my tap water, for the past several weeks I have been using sodium percarbonate to bathe certain body regions. And I have found it to confer a strong deodorant effect for at least 24 hours. Hometown temperature has been greater than 100F (38C) for a few weeks now, and it works well in spite of the sweating. I have used an equivalent amount of hydrogen peroxide alone, and it yields no such benefit, so I conclude that it must be the resultant sodium carbonate. I scrub it on with a rag and let it air-dry. The result reduces skin-friction and does not leave dust on my clothing. I've not tried sodium bicarbonate; I don't know if it would work the same, as the carbonate salt produces greater total alkalinity per equal measure. I also have not tried sodium carbonate alone.

According to my AWS-600, I dissolve about 17.5 grams (1 tbsp) of sodium percarbonate into 1 cup of hot distilled water. And because sodium percarbonate is 1 part sodium carbonate and 1.5 parts hydrogen peroxide, the solution comprises about 11.7 grams of hydrogen peroxide and 5.8 grams of sodium carbonate. The peroxide does bleach brown hair, so using sodium carbonate (soda ash/washing soda) will avoid that effect.

Formula:
1 cup distilled water
~6 grams of sodium carbonate

Inaut

interesting. ill give it a try as I've given up on milk of magnesium and alcohol sprays to the pits

Luann

Fearing the pollution that could be in my tap water, for the past several weeks I have been using sodium percarbonate to bathe certain body regions. And I have found it to confer a strong deodorant effect for at least 24 hours. Hometown temperature has been greater than 100F (38C) for a few weeks now, and it works well in spite of the sweating. I have used an equivalent amount of hydrogen peroxide alone, and it yields no such benefit, so I conclude that it must be the resultant sodium carbonate. I scrub it on with a rag and let it air-dry. The result reduces skin-friction and does not leave dust on my clothing. I've not tried sodium bicarbonate; I don't know if it would work the same, as the carbonate salt produces greater total alkalinity per equal measure. I also have not tried sodium carbonate alone.

According to my AWS-600, I dissolve about 17.5 grams (1 tbsp) of sodium percarbonate into 1 cup of hot distilled water. And because sodium percarbonate is 1 part sodium carbonate and 1.5 parts hydrogen peroxide, the solution comprises about 11.7 grams of hydrogen peroxide and 5.8 grams of sodium carbonate. The peroxide does bleach brown hair, so using sodium carbonate (soda ash/washing soda) will avoid that effect.

Formula:
1 cup distilled water
~6 grams of sodium carbonate

Cool, will have to try.

Prosper

sodium bicarbonate has given me a rash whenever I've used it for more than a day or two.
You are probably using too strong solution. I solved that issue by using less bicarbonate and more water. If the texture is like paste it's way too strong - the solution should not look different from pure liquid, but when rubbed between fingers it should still retain that slightly slimy feel.

You are probably using too strong solution. I solved that issue by using less bicarbonate and more water. If the texture is like paste it's way too strong - the solution should not look different from pure liquid, but when rubbed between fingers it should still retain that slightly slimy feel.

thank you, I will try that!

OP
Ras

Ras

My solution is almost clear, but does have a soap-like feel on the fingers.

If one standard cup of water weighs 236.59 grams and I use about 6 grams of sodium carbonate, that's a 39.4:1 ratio.

Prosper

@Inaut
@Ras

Well I am a lazy ****: I just put a thumbful of bicarp on my palm and pour a little water on it, then mix a bit and rub generously on my armpits. Keeps smell away for 24-48 hours.

OP
Ras

Ras

@Inaut
@Ras

Well I am a lazy ****: I just put a thumbful of bicarp on my palm and pour a little water on it, then mix a bit and rub generously on my armpits. Keeps smell away for 24-48 hours.
It's obviously the alkalinity doing the work, as I've noticed no deodorant action from hydrogen peroxide or ethanol. But I've tried bleach, too, to no benefit, and its pH is higher than carbonate or bicarbonate.

SneezeStar

I keep baking soda in my car to use as a deoderant after swimming at the beach, best protection ive used and will work for days if not washed off without reapplying. There is a potential for irritation or rash.

Inaut

@Prosper I tried your lazy man mixture of BS in distilled water this morning. Went for a long walk (its pretty warm/humid where I live) and I haven't noticed any BO yet. Hopefully this keeps working. I hate deodorants

Prosper

@Prosper I tried your lazy man mixture of BS in distilled water this morning. Went for a long walk (its pretty warm/humid where I live) and I haven't noticed any BO yet. Hopefully this keeps working. I hate deodorants
Neat. For me it's been 3 days since showering and my armpits only have a faint, very mildly displeasing odor. Commercial deodorants would've given out hard by this point.

Mossy

Adding coconut oil and/or shea butter may help with the harshness of baking soda.

I know most don't want to mess with a tedious process, but for those who like punishment, here is my recipe that works well:
  • 2 oz. arrowroot
  • 2 oz. baking soda
  • 45 g coconut oil
  • 15 g bees wax
  • 11 g shea butter
  • 5 g Magnesium hydroxide (optional--I think this tends to soften it)
  • 5 g diatomaceous earth (the hotter the climate, just add a little more of this to make it less gooey)
  • 5-30 drops of scented oil to preference
  • 7 drops tocopherol oil (preservative)

Luann

Did anyone try sodium carbonate (washing soda) with water yet - no hydrogen peroxide?

OP
Ras

Ras

Did anyone try sodium carbonate (washing soda) with water yet - no hydrogen peroxide?
I will be ordering pure carbonate this week, so I plan to update after using it for a week.

Luann

Be great if you would! I might try Walmart's and see how it works too.