High Dose Mk4 Hairloss

OP
Arrade

Arrade

Vitamin K2 MK-4 stimulates the thyroid which can result in more beta-carotene being converted to active vitamin A. Vitamin K2 MK-4 also helps along the release of vitamin A from hepatic stores.

Hypervitaminosis A - Wikipedia

Vitamin E is said to help with symptoms of excess vitamin A. Also magnesium and vitamin D.
I didn’t know it stimulated the thyroid. Might be a good idea for me to supplement mk4 at low doses.
This also supports what me and another user stated, thought K should be in proportion with magnesium and Vit D

AnonE

Here's my experience and theory as a high MK4 user over the last 3ish months (45mg/day).

Overall my health is much better (coming from slight hypothyroid/chronic fatigue, keto and fasting experiment nonsense) but I've also been doing other Peat improvements and cutting down on PUFA.

My hairline has changed somewhat, it's become more "mature" if that makes sense. However, I look at an track the hairline hairs somewhat extensively, and I don't know if it's slight recession. Rather I think (and it could always be both) that I've experienced SKULL GROWTH.

Brow ridge projection has definitely increased, cheekbones are more prominent, jaw is wider. Forehead appears more "forward", "3D", and overall less flat, so I really wonder if this has changed the relative positioning of my galea (where the hair grows iirc) relative to my previous skull shape, especially my forehead.

Does anyone else think this hypothesis might apply to them? Or do you guys think you've had real hair loss with MK4?

I'm going to reduce my dose regardless, I just wanted to load a high dose for a bit for the facial gains. And I do think I got them, judging by random photos before/after and the gf's reactions XD

OP
Arrade

Arrade

Here's my experience and theory as a high MK4 user over the last 3ish months (45mg/day).

Overall my health is much better (coming from slight hypothyroid/chronic fatigue, keto and fasting experiment nonsense) but I've also been doing other Peat improvements and cutting down on PUFA.

My hairline has changed somewhat, it's become more "mature" if that makes sense. However, I look at an track the hairline hairs somewhat extensively, and I don't know if it's slight recession. Rather I think (and it could always be both) that I've experienced SKULL GROWTH.

Brow ridge projection has definitely increased, cheekbones are more prominent, jaw is wider. Forehead appears more "forward", "3D", and overall less flat, so I really wonder if this has changed the relative positioning of my galea (where the hair grows iirc) relative to my previous skull shape, especially my forehead.

Does anyone else think this hypothesis might apply to them? Or do you guys think you've had real hair loss with MK4?

I'm going to reduce my dose regardless, I just wanted to load a high dose for a bit for the facial gains. And I do think I got them, judging by random photos before/after and the gf's reactions XD
I'm glad we're getting another anecdote of this. I do believe in your results.
Right now I'm skeptical of the galea theory, that skull expansion causes hairloss. Everywhere your body grows bigger your skin/muscles don't get tense and hair falls out. It doesn't make sense the bones would grow and the skin/muscles wouldn't accommodate for it. I'm not 100% but it's not something I'm convinced is an issue at all.
Also, "mature" hairline is a fallacy, it's just hairline recession that is mild. It's basically minor hairloss, in the same way being Nw3 would also be hairloss just further regressed.
Now if you hairline hasn't changed and it just looks different because of a larger forehead that's one thing. Any chance you could post before and after pics that show this?

baccheion

Did you take 45 mg all at once?

AnonE

I'm glad we're getting another anecdote of this. I do believe in your results.
Right now I'm skeptical of the galea theory, that skull expansion causes hairloss. Everywhere your body grows bigger your skin/muscles don't get tense and hair falls out. It doesn't make sense the bones would grow and the skin/muscles wouldn't accommodate for it. I'm not 100% but it's not something I'm convinced is an issue at all.
Also, "mature" hairline is a fallacy, it's just hairline recession that is mild. It's basically minor hairloss, in the same way being Nw3 would also be hairloss just further regressed.
Now if you hairline hasn't changed and it just looks different because of a larger forehead that's one thing. Any chance you could post before and after pics that show this?

I've read a lot on hairloss too after minor scares coming off my fasting, keto, overtraining, whatever nonsense from the last few years. I think skull expansion/shape can definitely be a factor, but not the whole story, in changes to hair.

>It doesn't make sense the bones would grow and the skin/muscles wouldn't accommodate for it. I'm not 100% but it's not something I'm convinced is an issue at all.

Why couldn't it be the case that "underdeveloped" bones finally grow into the size/density they were meant to grow, and as a result stretch the existing (and already grown) soft tissue? I'm not saying this is the case (though I slightly suspect it), but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be possible.

Yeah, I just use "mature" hairline to refer to my (and others') NW~2ish hairline that seems reasonably stable.

Re: before/after photos... I might try and anonymize the eye area and post later. But honestly most of the photos I have are from the front, and the hair looks pretty much the same. Face has masculinized though.

AnonE

Just wanted to put in a quick bump, see if anyone else has high MK4 intake experiences relating to hair. In particular -- anyone perceive forehead/skull growth, with related changes to the hairline?

mujuro

I got a BCC removed from my right temple 10 years ago. I’ve used a lot of K2 between then and now, and my hairline has receded quite a lot too. The scar has mostly definitely moved down, a good inch, but I don’t know what this says about the skull growth or what direction it has grown. If I had not gone through insanely stressful periods of fasting, low carb, studies, job stuff, and general life crises, I might suspect that skull growth was an issue. But I am skeptical.

Insomnia

I've been supplementing k-2 (mk4 mostly) at 45mg daily. Then I've cut back to 9-15mg daily (mk4) and 2-3 times a week I use 200-300mcg mk-7. I've definitely noticed changes regarding face/ jawline, and I've made alot of pictures in the same mirror with the same camera over the course of 2 years to rule out errors regarding the camera / mirror. Lightning still might be an issue but nonetheless, the changes are apparant to me. Regarding hairline, I honestly can't say much because hairloss has many causes, as I have been hypothyroid in the past (which I'm still working on, but I feel much much better now then I've used to). If anyone has questions, feel free to ask/ pm me. Many greetings to everyone!

OP
Arrade

Arrade

I've been supplementing k-2 (mk4 mostly) at 45mg daily. Then I've cut back to 9-15mg daily (mk4) and 2-3 times a week I use 200-300mcg mk-7. I've definitely noticed changes regarding face/ jawline, and I've made alot of pictures in the same mirror with the same camera over the course of 2 years to rule out errors regarding the camera / mirror. Lightning still might be an issue but nonetheless, the changes are apparant to me. Regarding hairline, I honestly can't say much because hairloss has many causes, as I have been hypothyroid in the past (which I'm still working on, but I feel much much better now then I've used to). If anyone has questions, feel free to ask/ pm me. Many greetings to everyone!
What do you do for your thyroid besides perhaps the idonine protocol?

baccheion

MK-4 vs. MK-7. What kind of these is really better for perfect skin? I am very confused.
MK-4 is better for skin. There's also astaxanthin, MSM + silicon (monomethylsilanetriol) + vitamin C, MSM lotion, nicotinamide riboside + pterostilbene (or 1g niacin + 2 g vitamin C + 500 mg vitamin B5), gotu kola, garlic (garlicin brand), apple cider vinegar and/or topical Lugol's for scars, megadose vitamin C, iodine protocol, vitamin E, etc.

Insomnia

What do you do for your thyroid besides perhaps the idonine protocol?

One big change that made a difference if u ask me, was getting more copper. I was actually not balancing it out well enough, since I was always scared of getting copper overlead. I also take msm and dose vitamin c from time to time, so it's not weird to think that they may chelate copper from the body too. At a certain point, I was having weird/vague symptoms like not being able to concentrate or focus. So I included more copper in my diet. That was the only thing I changed at the time of my protocol (to see whether it would make a change) and it did, since my skin even got better, less holes and acne (I don't know if I explained this well enough). Alot of symptoms resolved, which I found quite astonishing. At first I didn't want to believe that it was solely because of the copper, but the only thing that I dose somewhat high/ extremely high is the iodine and vitamin k2. Most other things I take in moderation or I cycle them and I also take them around rda levels / recommended levels (from the forums).

Ufortunately for the copper, I have to supplement this even though I prefer to get the copper needs from food (because I I don't like liver that much and don't know any other good reliable sources for copper). Whether the copper made a difference for sure regarding thyroid will be pointed out by having another bloodtest (which will be this week), because last bloodtest showed borderline / sub-optimal levels. I am still experimenting when it comes to dosage, since it's hard for me to figure out what works for me personally. I hope to share my results soon hopefully :)

kayumochi

I take 6-8 drops of Kuinone most days and haven't noticed any hair loss but I do notice bruising when I don't take MK4 (I take aspirin most days)

X3CyO

If taking 45mg makes your hair fall out you should probably take less or stop regardless of what studies say.

It could be bone growth. Lack of adequate nutrition. Im not sure if skin and hair grow to accomidate new adult skull growth. Do you have any studies on that? Id guess it could be true with adequate gelatin and minerals, but if youre just using k2.. im not too sure.

Id definitely atleast add on calcium of some sort in the least. Ive heard of people getting a loose teeth sort of phenomenon from taking more k2 than their bodies could use for whatever reasons.

Good luck with figuring this thing out

Insomnia

If taking 45mg makes your hair fall out you should probably take less or stop regardless of what studies say.

It could be bone growth. Lack of adequate nutrition. Im not sure if skin and hair grow to accomidate new adult skull growth. Do you have any studies on that? Id guess it could be true with adequate gelatin and minerals, but if youre just using k2.. im not too sure.

Id definitely atleast add on calcium of some sort in the least. Ive heard of people getting a loose teeth sort of phenomenon from taking more k2 than their bodies could use for whatever reasons.

Good luck with figuring this thing out

I think it's good to do it that way indeed. Luckily I don't take 45mg anymore, and I haven't done that in a pretty long time. 9-15 mg daily works better for me. Thanks for the calcium part, I already have a good amount of calcium in my nutrition and sometimes (very rarely) I do crave milk (lol), but I do not know whether I can attribute this to the usage of k-2. Personally I don't think so, or at least maybe not in my case. I genuinely don't know.

D

Deleted member 5487

Its not high but vit K2 MK4 is oxidant like caffeine or nicotine so if you are full of pufa, you will have side effects. What is your diet?

Super interesting. Didn't know it was a oxidant

I will say i have been eating k2 with big fat meals and noticed no bad effects. Coincidentally I have been drinking coffee with a scoop of hagendazz and have had zero side effects.

Then Came across this post and tied everything together..

Coffee/nicotine/k2 without a lot of diary fat will lead to further hairloss thru Pufa oxidation and FFA release.

ddjd

That just seems like crazy amounts! 5mg daily I think is too much. I think 5mg twice a week is good maintenance dose
sorry I now retract this. im experimenting with a similarly "ridiculous" dose with far more positive results

GorillaHead

sorry I now retract this. im experimenting with a similarly "ridiculous" dose with far more positive results
Like what positive experiences. How’s your hair. I do 5mg eod. What are you doing