TAURINE The Key To Restoring Metabolic Function?

FredSonoma

Yeah.. I think that's pretty much the idea.

Well, the day I get healed I will learn to appreciate every moment in life , at least...

What do you mean it's the idea? Like that's the idea why they are bad? Or you think it was designed to do that?

FredSonoma

Neither, I think they are 'effective' because they produce that effect.
Ohh gotchu

Yeah unfortunately :( anxiety is very necessary for normal social interaction and I think it just turns that part of your brain off

very stressful to have to be around people like that

ddjd

I have been having a great time taking Taurine. At first it disturbed my sleep and gave me intestinal difficulties because it was increasing my bile output by quite a lot. But then I took my copper supplement around the same time I took Taurine, and the excess bile secretion stopped immediately. I thought this was really odd, so I started reading about Taurine's effects on copper and various minerals. It turns out that if you cannot process copper properly, supplemental taurine fixes this issue, and Taurine is very specifically necessary for repairing many liver conditions (I have had elevated Triglycerides for some time) It seems from a Peat point of view that the Taurine does not really eliminate copper, but helps the body utilize it, and I theorize, transport it into cells to make it viable for various enzymatic functions.
http://www.pubfacts.com/detail/19640654 ... nd-healing.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6406&hilit=taurine
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5119&p=59860&hilit=taurine#p59860

Turns out that taurine is also crucial to maintaining proper electrolyte balance, and basically without Taurine your electrolytes go haywire. Dr. Peat's work is often focused on metabolic problems associated with loss of magnesium and the inappropriate excitation of cells by calcium and sodium. Turns out Taruine is magnesium sparing and helps regulate calcium, sodium and potassium too! I can only imagine that if you supplement these minerals while taking Taurine, your health would improve at a more rapid rate as your body would actually be able to hold on to them.
http://www.coem.com/backup03.11.10/envi ... rine.shtml

Hypothyroid/obese/diabetics have naturally very low levels of Taurine. Taurine supplementation helps prevent obesity and complications from diabetes.
Taurine improves obesity-induced inflammatory responses and modulates the unbalanced phenotype of adipose tissue macrophages. - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.lef.org/Magazine/2013/6/The- ... ?checked=1

I recently discovered that amino acid ratios in my diet have more potent and longer lasting effects on weight, sleep, libido, etc, and are all even further supported by thyroid supplement. Taking Taurine, Lysine, and Glycine specifically has had very positive improvements in my condition, and now I seem to feel an even better improvement in taking Taurine in addition to various mineral supplements, especially copper and potassium. I also take Zinc, eggshell calcium, and sea salt.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6217

Here is a study that found a direct relation between platelet Taurine level and thyroid status
Correlation of platelet taurine levels with thyroid function. - PubMed - NCBI

And last but certainly not least, Taurine increases testosterone production and libido in males (and probably has a very similar positive hormone association if females). This I can personally attest to.
Taurine enhances the sexual response and mating ability in aged male rats. - PubMed - NCBI

If anyone else has specific experience with Taurine, especially it's relation to copper and liver function and/or other specific health issues, please post about them.

nate do you think its possible that taurine could over time deplete copper levels. because i was taking about 2g a day for about 6 months and noticed some good benefits, but then i started getting some nerve problems. A year later and ive fixed my nerve problems and geuss what worked - copper! so i think maybe the taurine reduced my copper. would be good to know what you think. thanks

Mauritio

i dont mean to be rude, but how is it possible that taurine increases my penis size ( especially thickness) for several hours after i take it ?

L

lollipop

Antidepressantfacts.com was a very informative website started by a Prozac survivor from the Netherlands. It took him 7 years to recover. He has moved on with his life, but it was an intense experience for him. The excerpt titled surviving a negative reaction pertained to me. I believe Peter Breggin called this state Chronic Brain Inpairment.
Hi @Frankdee20 did you know that site no longer exists?

L

lollipop

Oh yes, they took him down a while ago, but there are still excerpts or some other site that is similar. For the record, I went through the same thing. It took years to recover
I am gently moving one of my clients towards getting off (in conjunction with her doctor) and wanted to use this site for her. Do you know of a site?

Frankdee20

There’s probably a site with Altostrata as an administrator. Don’t recall the name, but it’s along the same line.

smith

I also found Casein protein before bed to be the missing piece from my diet. 3 days after starting it I lost the chronic pain id been having for years and it has never returned. I take Naked brand Casein because it has absolutely no fillers or additives. It goes a long way for me.
Was it casein specifically that made the difference as opposed to whey, or would any quality protein have worked and you just went with casein?

Also, a little late and this is a really weird question, but are you (or anyone reading this) aware of any methods to extract calcium from dry protein? From what I'm aware, it's possible to separate calcium from milk by precipitation with sodium carbonate, which is why I ask. Perhaps this could be done to liquid protein, after adding water. Thanks

Last edited:

Motif

High doses vitamin c gave me symptoms.

I don't take k2, but I did for several weeks or months.

I eat China cabbage a lot

Lejeboca

Effects and Mechanisms of Taurine as a Therapeutic Agent (!)

@General Orange - It's worth including taurine and vit C in your suggestions. There's a paragraph on calcium there, check it out.

Thank you for posting, Amazoniac. Very informative.

Along with all the benefits of taurine, it seems that it promotes lipolisys (!) :
* "Restores fatty acid oxidation by increasing PPARalpha levels (Schaffer et al., 2016)".
which, as I read about PPARalpha on wiki, via the liver lipid metabolism, mainly, so maybe not that damaging...
* " Elvevoll et al. (2008) found that taurine enhances the beneficial effects of n-3 fatty acid supplementation on total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides."

What do you all think?

Also about its affect on CNS: "taurine can partially substitute for GABA by causing inhibition of neuronal excitability. However, the regulation of the GABAA receptor by taurine is complex. While acute taurine administration activates the GABAA receptor, chronic taurine feeding promotes the downregulation of the GABAA receptor (L’Amoreaux et al., 2010) and the upregulation of glutamate decarboxylase, the rate-limiting step in GABA biosynthesis (El Idrissi and L’Amoreaux, 2008)".

Maybe, neurological consequences, reported in this thread, stem from such effects of taurine?

Mossy

Thank you for posting, Amazoniac. Very informative.
Indeed. Thanks @Amazoniac.

What do you all think?
As I’ve probably shared to a fault on this forum, taurine is my most successful supplement—and I’ve tried loads. It does give me some negative side effects, but it still fills the biggest gaps in my subpar health. I do take it sparingly, which may be part of the success of it. I do consider taking it longterm, but have not had any success with any supplement doing that, and your quote suggests some negatives with taurine. I can share that with the small doses that I take (25 mg-50 mg, normally) I can get a period of exaggerated clarity (excitability?) before the calm. This can be a little unnerving and disruptive, but I always end up on the other side, in calm. One of the new negatives I’ve discovered is that it does contribute to a dry and constipated system, though it’s not the sole contributor.

Lejeboca

I can share that with the small doses that I take (25 mg-50 mg, normally) I can get a period of exaggerated clarity (excitability?) before the calm.

Just for the record 8.4fl/250ml can of Red Bull contains 1g of taurine.

but it still fills the biggest gaps in my subpar health. I do take it sparingly, which may be part of the success of it.

Did you notice significant change in your weight when taking taurine regularly?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals