Progesterone And Gut Issues

A. squamosa

Hey everyone,

Ever since I started supplementing progesterone in the luteal phase of my cycle, I have been having abnormal stool issues.
My guts have always been sensitive and I realise now that I have had bile insufficiency issues for a long time. However, it seems like the progesterone (I've been using progest-e) has really exacerbated it, and it seems somewhat out of control now.
The stool is very loose, pale and occasionally has undigested food in it (even food I have previously found easy to digest, such as eggs!). Occasionally I have painful gut cramps, and I'm always tired.
I don't know how to normalise my guts or why they're doing this; has this happened to anyone else with progesterone?
Could it be some sort of flushing out of bad stuff that's going on, or have I somehow messed my guts up?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone :)

michael94

do you take it topically or with food or alone by mout

are there any benefits you noticed or just complications

michael94

Hey everyone,

Ever since I started supplementing progesterone in the luteal phase of my cycle, I have been having abnormal stool issues.
My guts have always been sensitive and I realise now that I have had bile insufficiency issues for a long time. However, it seems like the progesterone (I've been using progest-e) has really exacerbated it, and it seems somewhat out of control now.
The stool is very loose, pale and occasionally has undigested food in it (even food I have previously found easy to digest, such as eggs!). Occasionally I have painful gut cramps, and I'm always tired.
I don't know how to normalise my guts or why they're doing this; has this happened to anyone else with progesterone?
Could it be some sort of flushing out of bad stuff that's going on, or have I somehow messed my guts up?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone :)

. I
/I\
S S

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

I take it topically and without food - regardless of whether it's on my gums or on my skin it causes these issues (though it is worse when it's on my gums, I presume because I accidentally swallow some when it goes on there?) - also the symptoms are at their worse on the first day or two when I take it.

Definitely has benefits, it significantly decreases all PMS symptoms; it decreases them more when I use it on my gums.

Vinero

It might be the vitamin E in the Progest-E that is causing your issues.
Vitamin E is known to stimulate the immune system and if you have any inflammatory problems they can get worse temporarily. For example, many people with irritable bowel or crohns disease can get flare ups by using vitamin E.

If the symptoms are really bad you can try progesterone without vitamin E. Or just continue to use Progest-E and hope your immune system will get rid of the inflammation over time. Although stimulating the immune system can temporarily worsen inflammation, it is actually curing the underlying pathology. Basically the opposite of supressing the immune system with cortisol. The fact that it improves your PMS symptoms means it is probably doing something good. Absorption through gums is much more efficient hence the stronger effect you feel when using orally compared to topically.

Last edited:
OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

thanks @Vinero - perhaps I had an underlying bowel disorder before I started on the progest-e and the vit. e exacerbated it - I have never been diagnosed with one but I have always had sensitive guts and bowel.

I just wonder how long 'temporarily' will be, and at what point temporarily turns into a problem - as it stands, it has been something like 3 months now. I think that's within the temporary range, but if it is still occurring another 3 months from now then something else must be at work.

For my next luteal phase I will try a different technique - some progest-e on the gums, and the progestene mixed with ona's progesterone cream on the skin.

@michael94 yes I have, but so many years ago, and so little, that I don't even remember the last time or what for.

Progesterone

It might be the vitamin E in the Progest-E that is causing your issues.
Vitamin E is known to stimulate the immune system and if you have any inflammatory problems they can get worse temporarily. For example, many people with irritable bowel or crohns disease can get flare ups by using vitamin E.

If the symptoms are really bad you can try progesterone without vitamin E. Or just continue to use Progest-E and hope your immune system will get rid of the inflammation over time. Although stimulating the immune system can temporarily worsen inflammation, it is actually curing the underlying pathology. Basically the opposite of supressing the immune system with cortisol. The fact that it improves your PMS symptoms means it is probably doing something good. Absorption through gums is much more efficient hence the stronger effect you feel when using orally compared to topically.

Where can one get good quality progesterone (like oil) without vitamin e?

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

To anyone who gets similar issues to my original post - try dosing with magnesium (I had an epsom salt bath - 7 cups of the salt, stayed in there for 30mins), it seemed to alleviate my symptoms almost immediately.

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

To anyone who has experienced this - my issues have been completely fixed by using a gut therapy suggested by Nathan Hatch. It ended up not being about bile insufficiency at all, but about gut bacteria. So if you're suffering from anything similar (or anything at all, the man is a genius) then I would recommend getting in touch with him.
Just did my first brown poop in over a year, lol!

Kartoffel

In a nutshell: What did you do?

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

SO this is my dilemma: I wanted to share with people that this thing can be fixed, so that no one has to feel hopeless about their health.

BUT I know that Nathan wants to be able to dedicate his time to researching health and coaching people, which he can't right now, he has to work another job as well (because people were stealing the ebook instead of purchasing it, and he needs more patreon supporters). He's worked hard to gain the knowledge he has and I think everyone would benefit from him being able to dedicate 100% of his work hrs to health research; so I just don't feel comfortable sharing the information he's worked hard to put together.

You can gain access to his patreon from $1 a month, and the therapy I used is on there, so I would recommend doing that. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but it's important to me to respect his work.

Kartoffel

SO this is my dilemma: I wanted to share with people that this thing can be fixed, so that no one has to feel hopeless about their health.

BUT I know that Nathan wants to be able to dedicate his time to researching health and coaching people, which he can't right now, he has to work another job as well (because people were stealing the ebook instead of purchasing it, and he needs more patreon supporters). He's worked hard to gain the knowledge he has and I think everyone would benefit from him being able to dedicate 100% of his work hrs to health research; so I just don't feel comfortable sharing the information he's worked hard to put together.

You can gain access to his patreon from $1 a month, and the therapy I used is on there, so I would recommend doing that. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but it's important to me to respect his work.

Ok, I respect that. Glad you're feeling better.

rebuke

@A. squamosa all I see are recipes, can you direct me to the actual post that helped you? Noticing a similar experience with Progest E.

OP
A. squamosa

A. squamosa

I would email Nathan and ask him what he recommends (there is also a section in his book that talks about progesterone) - he has the best understanding of our biology out of everyone I've read/spoken to, it would be wise to get his opinion before embarking on a therapy :)