Cyproheptadine Withdrawal

InChristAlone

I have been on .5 mg dose at 7pm for 20 months. I have two failed attempts at getting off. I have been trying again for the last week. I ended up taking some once when I had high anxiety for no reason. I blamed the anxiety on eating vegetables. But one of the main issues with going off is that I wake up halfway through the night with a pounding heart. Cypro works nearly every night for that unless I'm under stress. I just want to know what is causing it that could be so easily stopped by a small amount of a drug. I don't really mind taking it but late last yr my liver enzymes were slightly raised. I got the advice to take K2 to help my liver but I'm bad about taking it. I will be retesting when I can successfully take a break from the drug to see if they go down to normal and if they don't then I know it's something else. I just wonder if the nighttime waking would eventually sort itself or would I just go back to how I used to be....Struggling with my hormones. I had made so many improvements in the last yr and I just hope it was not all due to this drug.

raypeatclips

When I stopped taking cypro I had withdrawal symptoms, I have spoken about this before. Stopped cold turkey and symptoms eventually resolved but it took a little while before I felt myself again.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

When I stopped taking cypro I had withdrawal symptoms, I have spoken about this before. Stopped cold turkey and symptoms eventually resolved but it took a little while before I felt myself again.
I think I just need time you are right. Now that I'm on progesterone for my second half of the cycle I am hopefully I can stay off it for at least a couple weeks. I ended up sleeping much better last night. Might have been I actually had sex. :lol:

Herbie

I get this kind of dependency on cypro similar to tobacco. If I stop using it, I feel an urge to take it as a form or safety and protection and can get anxious. When I stop taking it I tend to not get tired at bed time and takes longer to fall asleep, feel edgy, I quickly get through the withdrawal symptoms and everything is ok without it and feel better then when on it after a week and continue to feel better over a month, when I took it for a long while I felt the benefits were being noticed months afterwoods and I look back and wonder how I took it for so long.

Sometimes in my life I have woken up with the high heart rate and I put it down to liver running out of glycogen and drinking coke and ice-cream before bed helps.

LUH 3417

I think I just need time you are right. Now that I'm on progesterone for my second half of the cycle I am hopefully I can stay off it for at least a couple weeks. I ended up sleeping much better last night. Might have been I actually had sex. :lol:
Haha. Were you taking cypro and progesterone together? I find that some nights cypro avtually makes me have very restless sleep. It’s like electricity pulsating through my legs and all over my body. Not sure why.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

I get this kind of dependency on cypro similar to tobacco. If I stop using it, I feel an urge to take it as a form or safety and protection and can get anxious. When I stop taking it I tend to not get tired at bed time and takes longer to fall asleep, feel edgy, I quickly get through the withdrawal symptoms and everything is ok without it and feel better then when on it after a week and continue to feel better over a month, when I took it for a long while I felt the benefits were being noticed months afterwoods and I look back and wonder how I took it for so long.

Sometimes in my life I have woken up with the high heart rate and I put it down to liver running out of glycogen and drinking coke and ice-cream before bed helps.
Yeah seems like I will have long lasting benefits. My appetite is through the roof today and it's been over a week since I decided to go off. I had always struggled with adrenaline and not eating enough. I have been mostly a normal human so thought I really don't need this crutch anymore.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Haha. Were you taking cypro and progesterone together? I find that some nights cypro avtually makes me have very restless sleep. It’s like electricity pulsating through my legs and all over my body. Not sure why.
Yes I use a bit of progesterone second half of my cycle. And was using cypro as well. I know what you mean about the electricity I only got that if I didn't get to bed on time. Or was awoken by my kids it was like my body was buzzing.

A. squamosa

I have just started on a limited course of cypro myself - I still wake up at night even with it. Keeping my blood sugar balanced throughout the day tends to help (e.g. an orange julius or two in between meals), but generally, the only way for me to sleep all the way through is enough protein - at least I think so. When I was taking something like 30 capsules of amino pro a day on top of my usual food I think it was helping me sleep all the way through the night, waiting on my next batch so I can test that properly. I suppose my addition to the conversation is just to try balancing blood sugar and experiment with protein.

LUH 3417

Also same, including what feels like palpitations and sweating. Not sure if it's related to cypro or not.
Cypro is supposed to stop sweating by blocking histamine production. It has off label use as counteracting sweating for people on SSRIs (a side effect of SSRIs is increased sweating)

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

It's been over a month and I have taken it a few times since. It seems I can't go longer than a week without taking some. I knew going into this that I may never get off completely as I like how I feel on it. But we'll see.

encerent

It's been over a month and I have taken it a few times since. It seems I can't go longer than a week without taking some. I knew going into this that I may never get off completely as I like how I feel on it. But we'll see.

Are you using idealab's/haidut's cypro or a different one?

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Are you using idealab's/haidut's cypro or a different one?
From alldaychemist.com I tried idealabs but it had DMSO (not anymore?) and I was taking it orally and noticed after a few days I was waking up at 3 am again. The ciplactin from India seems to be the best.

encerent

From alldaychemist.com I tried idealabs but it had DMSO (not anymore?) and I was taking it orally and noticed after a few days I was waking up at 3 am again. The ciplactin from India seems to be the best.

yes! the ciplactin from India is very potent!

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

yes! the ciplactin from India is very potent!
Yeah I couldn't believe how little I needed of it. Especially now that I am not taking it everyday.

encerent

Try to take it maybe 3-4 hrs before bed to avoid that crazy restless sleep that cypro is known to give.

goodandevil

I think it opposes dopamine ... metergoline dossnt have this restless property

MrSmart

Try to take it maybe 3-4 hrs before bed to avoid that crazy restless sleep that cypro is known to give.
This is true, I'm pretty sure that it takes up to 24 hours for the sedative effects to kick in. I usually take it in the afternoon if I'm planning on getting a good night's sleep that day.

Vinero

I have been using Cypro for the last two months before bed, the last few weeks only 1 mg. In the beginning I would use like 3 mg.
My bottle of Idealabs Cypro is running out. How likely is it I will experience withdrawal symptoms from stopping cypro? Can other serotonin antagonists stop cyproheptadine withdrawal? Say I take metergoline or lisuride, will that stop the serotonin rebound?