Potato Protein Soup Cooking Rules

Mossy

I think that the starch and skin would throw off the measurements of macros/micros.
Yeah, I think so. Not to mention the protein would not be properly reflected. I guess it's just something one would have to account for, manually, when considering totals.

Mossy

Are people covering the juice while cooking? I put the cover on, at a tilt, in an effort to have less evaporation of water--and, wouldn't you know, it boiled over.:bag: Maybe I'm back to even now, if I were to boil it the entire time with the lid off.

I do think it is a tedious process, contrary to others. Maybe once I get a hang of it, it will be easier. I'm not complaining, just relaying what I feel to be quite a bit of effort within a busy day. Even so, for a quality protein, it will be worth it.

I juiced 5 lbs of potatoes, which yielded 13oz of cooked juice. So, I either did something wrong :bucktooth:, or right :angelic:, with that much juice. I cooked it (boiled) for 45 minutes.

I'm attaching pictures for reference, and it looks nothing like Law's, funny enough. But it does kind of match the description of Peat's:
...the fluid coagulated as soon as it was heated, becoming whitish, the way clear egg white becomes white.

IMG_3104.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg
IMG_3106.jpg

Last edited:

Lolinaa

It looks nice for me. As long as you boiled it for 45 minutes it should be fine. I think its better to prepare lots so you wont have to do it often.

theLaw

Are people covering the juice while cooking? I put the cover on, at a tilt, in an effort to have less evaporation of water--and, wouldn't you know, it boiled over.:bag: Maybe I'm back to even now, if I were to boil it the entire time with the lid off.

I do think it is a tedious process, contrary to others. Maybe once I get a hang of it, it will be easier. I'm not complaining, just relaying what I feel to be quite a bit of effort within a busy day. Even so, for a quality protein, it will be worth it.

I juiced 5 lbs of potatoes, which yielded 13oz of cooked juice. So, I either did something wrong :bucktooth:, or right :angelic:, with that much juice. I cooked it (boiled) for 45 minutes.

I'm attaching pictures for reference, and it looks nothing like Law's, funny enough. But it does kind of match the description of Peat's:

View attachment 9015 View attachment 9016 View attachment 9017

Looks like you cooked it on around medium (5/10) or higher. Also, did you let it sit for an hour after juicing?

If you cook it on low (3/10) with no signs of boiling (no bubbles), then the egg-like clumps rise to the top if you want to use it for the scramble, but it takes much longer (1.5-2hrs) depending on your goal (actual scramble is fried, so no need to go the full time boiling).

In terms of covering it, it really depends on how much liquid you want in the end. Also, if you boil in on med or higher, then the liquid will evaporate more quickly, and might leave you with only 1-2 ounces in the end from a 5lb bag.

The pics that I posted were after the clumps (keto-acids) were removed, which defeats the purpose of the juice, so your pics are correct.

Just be careful because that 13 ounces = est. 150-300G of protein.:cool:

Mossy

Looks like you cooked it on around medium (5/10) or higher. Also, did you let it sit for an hour after juicing?

If you cook it on low (3/10) with no signs of boiling (no bubbles), then the egg-like clumps rise to the top if you want to use it for the scramble, but it takes much longer (1.5-2hrs) depending on your goal (actual scramble is fried, so no need to go the full time boiling).

In terms of covering it, it really depends on how much liquid you want in the end. Also, if you boil in on med or higher, then the liquid will evaporate more quickly, and might leave you with only 1-2 ounces in the end from a 5lb bag.

The pics that I posted were after the clumps (keto-acids) were removed, which defeats the purpose of the juice, so your pics are correct.

I did try to cook it as low as I could, but still maintain a boil. I thought boiling was a necessity, based on Haidut's original post--in order to facilitate the keto-acids:
"...you will see that the researchers boiled for exactly 45min to get the keto acids out of the potato..."

Yeah, that boggles my mind :wacky:, the amount of protein we'll get out this. I created a custom cronometer food, using a pound of boiled skinless potatoes as the base. I changed the protein to 30 grams per serving; I'm guessing the carbs, fiber, and starch would be about 90% reduced, and that the nutrients would be about the same. I welcome anyone's input on this.

theLaw

I did try to cook it as low as I could, but still maintain a boil. I thought boiling was a necessity, based on Haidut's original post--in order to facilitate the keto-acids:

Yeah, that boggles my mind :wacky:, the amount of protein we'll get out this. I created a custom cronometer food, using a pound of boiled skinless potatoes as the base. I changed the protein to 30 grams per serving; I'm guessing the carbs, fiber, and starch would be about 90% reduced, and that the nutrients would be about the same. I welcome anyone's input on this.

From Haidut's post:

the study below used the boiling method in order to extract keto acids from potato slices, so it is not the same as juice where presumably the keto acids are already extracted.

Mossy

From Haidut's post:
you will see that the researchers boiled for exactly 45min to get the keto acids out of the potato
Ok, thanks for pointing that out.

So, why do you cook it so long then, to get it to the consistency that you prefer?

theLaw

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.

So, why do you cook it so long then, to get it to the consistency that you prefer?

I asked Haidut about how much of the keto-acids were in the solids vs the juice, but he didn't know, so if I want to make the scramble, then I have to use low heat (but then that still leaves the juice to be cooked thoroughly, hence the long cooking time).

On the other hand, if I want all of the protein, then I just cook it over medium heat, and blend it at the end to create a uniform consistency.

The only challenge with this is after about 45 min literally all of the water can evaporate, leaving you with just a few solids.

Mossy

I asked Haidut about how much of the keto-acids were in the solids vs the juice, but he didn't know, so if I want to make the scramble, then I have to use low heat (but then that still leaves the juice to be cooked thoroughly, hence the long cooking time).

On the other hand, if I want all of the protein, then I just cook it over medium heat, and blend it at the end to create a uniform consistency.

The only challenge with this is after about 45 min literally all of the water can evaporate, leaving you with just a few solids.
Ok, I think the medium heat and uniform consistency is what I'll be going for, to use like a soup.

Thanks for humoring all my questions. :bookworm:

Mossy

Do you have any experience, or thoughts, with consuming potato juice close to bed time, as a means to keep your body feed for a full night's rest; or, would sugar and salt be the better way to take care of that?

theLaw

Do you have any experience, or thoughts, with consuming potato juice close to bed time, as a means to keep your body feed for a full night's rest; or, would sugar and salt be the better way to take care of that?

I've tried it, but I found that it digests very quickly, so not as effective as slower digestion Milk/Cheese/Gelatin.

Milk powder cookies + juice really hits the spot right before bed for me.

Skim Milk Powder Pancakes (second post from Lisa)

Mossy

I've tried it, but I found that it digests very quickly, so not as effective as slower digestion Milk/Cheese/Gelatin.

Milk powder cookies + juice really hits the spot right before bed for me.

Skim Milk Powder Pancakes (second post from Lisa)
Ok, that makes sense; if I thought for a minute, I would've realized that's the whole purpose of the juice, easy digestion. :bag:

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Mossy

I have yet to try juicing them, but thought I'd share that I've purchased white, vs. russet potatoes, because I've read they have less starch and more moisture. This should yield more juice. If anyone would happen to know if they are sub-par to russet, please share.

Last edited:

theLaw

I have yet to try juicing them, but thought I'd share that I've purchased white vs. russet potatoes, because I've read they have less starch and more moisture. This should yield more juice. If anyone would happen to know if they are sub-par to russet, please share.

I tried several different types and although the gold have less starch, they're also more expensive (nearly 2x for me).

Mossy

I tried several different types and although the gold have less starch, they're also more expensive (nearly 2x for me).
The ones I bought are actually called "white", and are cheaper than the gold. I'm not certain what the differences are, but if the only difference is the price, versus the gold or russet, then maybe I'll be ok with these.

theLaw

The ones I bought are actually called "white", and are cheaper than the gold. I'm not certain what the differences are, but if the only difference is the price, versus the gold or russet, then maybe I'll be ok with these.

Sounds like they're medium starch, but I found the difference in the end to be pretty sleight, so price will probably be the best gauge.

https://www.potatogoodness.com/white-potatoes/

Mossy

Ok, I've now juiced russet, gold, and white potatoes, and white yield the most juice; almost 60% more than gold, and over 100% more than russet.

So, assuming the pre-juiced to juiced potatoes will always yield a 1lb:30-50g protein ratio, I'll be drinking larger doses of juice with each serving. Which is ok, just thinking out loud, wondering if the larger yield would ever equal more protein.

TripleOG

How'd you come up with that?

I thought the protein in 8oz potato = 8oz milk (8 grams protein). She sourced 5lb of potatoes to yield that 13oz liquid. At most it would be 80 grams, no? What major detail am I missing? :shifty

theLaw

How'd you come up with that?

I thought the protein in 8oz potato = 8oz milk (8 grams protein). She sourced 5lb of potatoes to yield that 13oz liquid. At most it would be 80 grams, no? What major detail am I missing? :shifty

The juice is basically amino acids, so the equivalent assimilated protein is much higher.

This was discussed in detail on one of the Pot Soup threads. Cheers!:D

TripleOG

The juice is basically amino acids, so the equivalent assimilated protein is much higher.

This was discussed in detail on one of the Pot Soup threads. Cheers!:D

All I found was a discussion you shared between Haidut and yourself in response to a similar question:

I asked Haidut about this:

I honestly don't know but I think Peat said in the past that the keto acids in the juice from a pound of potatoes equal about 50g of protein from milk. He also said his number is an estimate and would like to have this tested more scientifically but he lacked equipment at the time.
He may have given a range 30g-50g but it was per pound of potatoes, not per pound of juice. Since the juice from 1 lbs of potatoes is probably about 0.5lbs, and the keto acids are in the juice, then even 30g per 0.5lbs of juice is quite high.

From Peat:

"Two pounds of well-cooked mashed potato has the protein value similar to a liter of milk, about 33 grams of protein. A person would be able to live for a long time on two or three liters of either milk or 4-6 pounds of potatoes per day. The milk drinker would eventually need to supplement iron, the potato eaters would need to supplement vitamin A, possibly B12, but both of them are nearly perfect foods"

There's another quote from Peat about how much protein in the cooked juice vs milk volume, but I can't find it right now.

Also, more info on keto acids (it's currently above my pay-grade)

Protein Vs Keto Acids