Milk Is Racist

DaveFoster

Recommending Dairy is Racist

The National Dairy Council says, “Minorities who have experienced gastrointestinal problems consuming milk are learning new strategies to enjoy milk and other dairy foods. This means that minorities (and non-minorities) with lactose intolerance no longer need to miss out on essential nutrients provided by dairy foods. The health consequences of avoiding dairy foods, the major source of dietary calcium, may be especially serious for African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, and Native American Indians. Many minorities are at high risk of hypertension, stroke, colon cancer, and osteoporosis – diseases in which a low calcium intake can be a contributing factor.”18 This is fear-mongering at its worst.

White people have a high tolerance for the sugar found in milk, known as lactose. Non-whites commonly have a normal, natural “intolerance” to milk sugars, and such sugars consumed after the weaning-time cause them intestinal distress with flatulence, cramps and diarrhea. Milk makes 60 to 90 percent of these people sick.

An editorial from the October 2006 issue of the British Medical Journal addresses this, “Furthermore, we need to ask the question of whether we are doing children a disservice by encouraging them to meet recommendations. Childhood obesity is on the rise in westernized countries, and dairy products—the main source of calcium recommended by nutrition guidelines—contribute greatly to the intake of fat and sugar in children. Nearly three quarters of the world's population are estimated to be lactose intolerant after the age of weaning and therefore do not tolerate the consumption of milk and other dairy products well. In addition, some studies suggest that the consumption of cow's milk increases the risk of some types of cancer.”19 Diary products do essentially nothing to help prevent or treat hypertension either—at best, a review funded by the dairy industry showed a reduction of 1.44 mmHg systolic and 0.84 mmHg diastolic.20 (By comparison, our results from the McDougall residential center show a 23/14 mmHg decrease in blood pressure in people with high blood pressure (150/90 mmHg or greater) in less than 10 days; and almost all of these people were taken off all of their blood pressure medication during the 10 days.)

Dairy foods are high in calories, fat and cholesterol; contributing to the cause of heart disease, strokes, type-2 diabetes, and obesity. They are high on the food chain so they accumulate, in sometimes dangerous amounts, environmental chemicals. Dairy protein is the number one cause of food allergies and can cause more serious forms of “food allergy” called autoimmune diseases. Dairy products are also known to be infected with life-threatening microbes, including E. Coli, listeria, salmonella, staphylococci, tuberculosis, bovine leukemia viruses, and bovine AIDS viruses. A more complete discussion of the hazards of cow’s milk is found in my May 2003 newsletter article, “Marketing Milk and Disease.”

Reference: The McDougall Newsletter - When Friends Ask: “Why Don’t You Drink Milk?”

yerrag

A as in Apple is racist. We had to import apples to the Philippines because of the nursery indoctrination. I kid you not, many people here would rather eat apples than the local pineapple or mango or watermelon. Except now, of course, the apples are imported from China, and no longer from Washington state. Ray likes tropical fruits, and I've never heard him recommend apple. Nothing against apples though. But I don't eat apples here because the ones sold here are never organic. and these are heavily sprayed with pesticides, and being thin-skinned, they penetrate the skin into the flesh, so no matter how you scrub the skin, the pesticides are still there. I would jump at the chance for an apple when I can find organic ones. Especially the Granny Smith. Oh, I love apple pie.

On lactose intolerance, I was given soy milk instead of milk as an infant because of it. The smell of urine from soy-fed infants really stink. But I don't know how I ever outgrew the intolerance. Perhaps it's because I didn't ever had milk as an infant, and was never introduced to it when my body wasn't ready for it. I had allergy to mangoes as an infant, and I suspect that I was fed mangoes too early when I wasn't ready for it. I later outgrew that allergy.

Didn't Ray say that the lactose intolerance can be overcome by gradually introducing milk to the person? It seems its more a matter of using the right method than accepting a commonly held belief without question.

Birdie

A as in Apple is racist. We had to import apples to the Philippines because of the nursery indoctrination. I kid you not, many people here would rather eat apples than the local pineapple or mango or watermelon. Except now, of course, the apples are imported from China, and no longer from Washington state. Ray likes tropical fruits, and I've never heard him recommend apple. Nothing against apples though. But I don't eat apples here because the ones sold here are never organic. and these are heavily sprayed with pesticides, and being thin-skinned, they penetrate the skin into the flesh, so no matter how you scrub the skin, the pesticides are still there. I would jump at the chance for an apple when I can find organic ones. Especially the Granny Smith. Oh, I love apple pie.

On lactose intolerance, I was given soy milk instead of milk as an infant because of it. The smell of urine from soy-fed infants really stink. But I don't know how I ever outgrew the intolerance. Perhaps it's because I didn't ever had milk as an infant, and was never introduced to it when my body wasn't ready for it. I had allergy to mangoes as an infant, and I suspect that I was fed mangoes too early when I wasn't ready for it. I later outgrew that allergy.

Didn't Ray say that the lactose intolerance can be overcome by gradually introducing milk to the person? It seems its more a matter of using the right method than accepting a commonly held belief without question.
I am trying to remember what I’ve heard Peat say about apples. I haven’t heard him recommend them, but he has said that they are safer cooked. I’m not sure if cooking breaks down the pectin, but he has recommended cooking them.

And peeling them. I used to love all sorts of apples. I would slice them and put macadamia butter on the slices. But, now I cook them for applesauce during the winter when it’s hard to get melons and grapes etc.

Birdie

My husband says he can’t drink milk. He does fine with yogurt and ice cream. For years I’ve sent him Ray’s ideas on milk including the advice to start slow with tiny amounts. No dice.

lvysaur

Milk isn't racist, but eurocentric "science" that oversamples whites and undersamples the rest of the world is.

As is the simplistic dichotomy of "whites" vs. "everyone else". Your average Arab or Punjabi or Somali is going to be far more lactose tolerant than a Slav or Italian. The OP article is already obsolete.

And then there's the mismatch between digestion/tolerance, and even the alleles and digestion. Having the lactase-positive alleles are only 80% likely to enable lactose digestion IIRC.

Last edited:

Birdie

Maybe the racist article is the missing piece of the puzzle that will finally make him give milk another go!

Birdie

@yerrag, l was given non fat milk all the way through high school. I guess they didn’t have soy milk so I escaped that. I remember my milk was thin with a blue tinge. Being used to that, it was many years until I could stand regular milk. My introduction was lattes when I was 45.

lvysaur

Didn't Ray say that the lactose intolerance can be overcome by gradually introducing milk to the person?

Yes, there are papers on this. I doubt your lactose digestion actually increases, but intolerance symptoms mostly vanish. The bacteria fostered by milk are mostly gram positive and "good", although I don't know if it promotes a greater gross amount of bacteria than other fibers.

Birdie

Yes, there are papers on this. I doubt your lactose digestion actually increases, but intolerance symptoms mostly vanish. The bacteria fostered by milk are mostly gram positive and "good", although I don't know if it promotes a greater gross amount of bacteria than other fibers.
Yes, Ray says that a lot of places and gives references. I am finally giving up with my husband though. He doesn't want to try the slow introduction of milk. But, even though I say I'm letting that go, I have plans for making Orange Julias this summer! I lie.