Birdshot In Game Meat

Pompadour

Where i live now wild game meat is easy to buy. From time to time i buy pheasant. It is tasty , it is wild and the fat in it looks nice - yellow and hard.
But one thing ennoys me. Almost in every bird i find birdshots. Last time i found 12 particles in one 900g pheasant! I hope , that i find each and every birdshot... but what if i swallow some of them accidentally? Can swallowed lead birdshot be harmfull?
What do you think, is it dangerous and is it better to stop buying this meat?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
A note on lead poisoning
While not a zoonotic disease, lead poisoning may be another risk associated with hunting using lead-containing ammunition. There is conflicting information regarding the level of risk associated with residual lead in the meat of wild game. Lead is known to cause damage to the brain and central nervous system, especially in young children and pregnant women. The risk may be based on the amount and frequency of game consumption. There is a possibility that lead may be overlooked in processing game – lead fragments may be located far from the wound and may be overlooked during cleaning and processing. Lead poisoning is a known cause of death in birds of prey, and certain states and hunting areas no longer allow the use of lead ammunition when hunting certain game. For regulations, consult the state's wildlife department. Consider using non-lead ammunition when hunting.
From avma.org

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You need one of these. :D

iu

yerrag

An occasional game food is fine for me, notwithstanding the lead (as long as you avoid swallowing those shotgun pellets), but having it regularly is another story.

I stopped eating my own backyard lead-tainted green leaves for a month, and I was able to see my blood pressure go down. I had been lowering my blood pressure using vitamin C and magnesium, but I got concerned when my blood pressure started to rise despite my supplementation. I suspected my green leaves were lead-contaminated. I stopped eating them and within a month my blood pressure was no longer going up, and began to go further down.

It's a good thing the lead contamination is so visible to you. Most of the time it is invisible, and people have no idea what havoc it is causing within.

OP
Pompadour

Pompadour

@yerrag, thank you for your input! It is astonishing, how people managed to contaminate the whole planet with all this plastik, pesticides, heavy metalls etc... It is really hard to find something clean to eat!
PS I read your thread about your experience with high blood pressure - it is brilliant! High blood pressure is running in my family, so i note everything about it.

yerrag

@yerrag, thank you for your input! It is astonishing, how people managed to contaminate the whole planet with all this plastik, pesticides, heavy metalls etc... It is really hard to find something clean to eat!
PS I read your thread about your experience with high blood pressure - it is brilliant! High blood pressure is running in my family, so i note everything about it.
thank you as well! I'm looking to have my bp numbers go back to normal. If and when it happens, I would like to know how much it will affect me for the better.

tomisonbottom

An occasional game food is fine for me, notwithstanding the lead (as long as you avoid swallowing those shotgun pellets), but having it regularly is another story.

I stopped eating my own backyard lead-tainted green leaves for a month, and I was able to see my blood pressure go down. I had been lowering my blood pressure using vitamin C and magnesium, but I got concerned when my blood pressure started to rise despite my supplementation. I suspected my green leaves were lead-contaminated. I stopped eating them and within a month my blood pressure was no longer going up, and began to go further down.

It's a good thing the lead contamination is so visible to you. Most of the time it is invisible, and people have no idea what havoc it is causing within.

What made you think they contained lead?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals