Phenyl Mercuric Nitrate Eye Drops?

ladyhawke

Phenyl mercuric nitrate.

In eye drops given to me for my dog for conjunctivitis at 0.002%. The main active ingredient being the antibiotic Chloramphenicol.

She gave him a drop in each eye at the clinic but I dont think I can give him anymore of something which contains mercury(or nitrates)!

I don't understand why such a toxic metal should be in there.

SOMO

I've literally looked at many of the eye drops on the market and they're all extremely unnatural.
By unnatural I mean NOTHING like the environment of the eye. I imagine eye drops for pets are even less

Try a HYPERTONIC Saline (greater than 0.9% Saline). It's used for corneal edema and I think it exists in 5% and 10% strengths.

Also it's definitely not Peat-approved, but castor oil or cod liver oil as eye drops feel uniquely lubricating. I would go with the saline
Often times medication for humans as well as pets isn't about fixing an issue or curing it, but reducing symptoms. Many medications target the symptoms of disease rather than the disease cause itself, but obviously controlling symptoms is also important. Some conditions can also take weeks or months to treat and in this time, it's understandable to want to reduce symptoms of the condition. Admittedly I don't know much about Phenyl Mercuric Nitrate, but as a general rule of thumb RP says nitrates are bad.
Nitrates are associated with some pretty aggressive and unsightly skin cancers.

Also epsom salt baths for your dog should help. It's best if you get his head/eyes wet with the epsom salt water, but even if you don't, magnesium sulfate in epsom salts is absorbed through the skin. I think I read that animals which waded through water containing magnesium sulfate had wounds that healed faster.

Good luck, hope you find something that works and doesn't endanger your pooch