Anyone Have Experience With Xylitol?

Serious Black

I recently just started using it 3x a day as a mouthwash. Just wondering if anyone had experience with it and what happened.

Sucrates

I started recently using 2g x5/day. Definitely reduces build up. Can't say much more than that yet.

Dan W

I'm a big proponent of xylitol rinsing. Back before I knew anything about fat soluble vitamins, managing PH, etc., a few months of diligent xylitol rinsing seemed to completely remove any signs of plaque.

Dan W

I do still rinse with it, though not as diligently. I basically aimed for 5x a day (I think there's a study or two on this frequency?), particularly after meals / before brushing (which I now realize probably also helped PH issues with those two activities). I'd do ~1/4tsp of xylitol powder with some water swished around, or xylitol mints if I was on-the-go.

I did dentist cleanings as well, though now I need to find one that doesn't require x-rays.

Dan W

There is potentially a stage where the plaque turns dark and needs to be scaled off, just so it doesn't alarm anyone into thinking it's made things worse.

Dan W

Thanks EH, that's exactly what I need. I don't see one nearby for general checkups/cleanings, but I've been thinking I might be able to find a regular dentist that offers the "dental laser" cavity detection (assuming it doesn't have issues of its own).

Dental laser cavity detection works and finds cavities that don't require treatment. It's is rather astounding. I doubt it's useful though. I would only drill and fill cavities that are apparent with traditional explorer.

Don't expect to need any fillings for a long time. This diet has continued my gum and teeth improvements. No more deep pockets.

OP
Serious Black

Serious Black

I'm a big proponent of xylitol rinsing. Back before I knew anything about fat soluble vitamins, managing PH, etc., a few months of diligent xylitol rinsing seemed to completely remove any signs of plaque.

I have receding gum line and very sensitive teeth. I hope it helps! Only on day three

Dan W

Dental laser cavity detection works and finds cavities that don't require treatment. It's is rather astounding. I doubt it's useful though.
I'm mainly hoping it gives them a reason to not insist on x-rays, as my previous dentist eventually did.

I have receding gum line and very sensitive teeth. I hope it helps! Only on day three
Can you tell the degree to which plaque is the source of those issues? I think the other half of my dental health improvement has been from strengthening enamel (which I can only speculate has something to do with increasing my mineral and fat-soluble vitamin intake). Although maybe xylitol will help with enamel issues too because of the pH.

OP
Serious Black

Serious Black

I'm mainly hoping it gives them a reason to not insist on x-rays, as my previous dentist eventually did.

Can you tell the degree to which plaque is the source of those issues? I think the other half of my dental health improvement has been from strengthening enamel (which I can only speculate has something to do with increasing my mineral and fat-soluble vitamin intake). Although maybe xylitol will help with enamel issues too because of the pH.

No idea. I neglected my teeth for so long that I have no idea if they are even fixable at this point. I just bought some 2% milk hopefully that will help add some minerals in

zztr

I cured a year long sinus infection with xylitol neti-pot irrigation over a month. There was apparently a biofilm up there.

Lurker

Sorry but I have to ask... Do you spit or swallow? I've been using a pinch of xylitol swishing and swallowing mostly around bedtime and have the mints at work. Is xylitol bad to ingest?

Sucrates

Sorry but I have to ask... Do you spit or swallow? I've been using a pinch of xylitol swishing and swallowing mostly around bedtime and have the mints at work. Is xylitol bad to ingest?

Probably bad in large quantities.

raypeatclips

I got gut irritation and loose stools from chewing a couple of xylitol chewing gums after each meal. Never had a problem when spitting out a xylitol wash

Lurker

I got gut irritation and loose stools from chewing a couple of xylitol chewing gums after each meal. Never had a problem when spitting out a xylitol wash

Possibly removing biofilms in the gut might be of long term benefit. Not sure though if that's the case though.

Dave Clark

I have used xylitol as a sweetner and as a sinus rinse for years. I think it works great as a sinus rinse, you can make your own by adding a 1/4 tsp to 2 oz. of water with a drop or two of GSE and a pinch of sea salt. As a sweetner it depends on if you are bowel sensitive to xylitol. If not, I would still not use it in excess, but it is low glycemic, and supposedly does not feed candida, etc. Studies show xylitol is good for teeth, my bio-dentist recommends it as well.

tomisonbottom

No idea. I neglected my teeth for so long that I have no idea if they are even fixable at this point. I just bought some 2% milk hopefully that will help add some minerals in

Vitamin K directly on teeth helped my sensitive teeth very quickly

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals