Can I Hack It? So Far, My Health Would Say No

OP
Mossy

Mossy

@Obi-wan
A supplement on my list to further research and possibly try is urea. I know you're constantly researching, so I would imagine you've already looked this one over and have concluded something--though, after a search, I don't see any comments by you on it. If your time (and interest) allows, I'd like to know your thoughts and experience, if any.

Obi-wan

@Obi-wan
A supplement on my list to further research and possibly try is urea. I know you're constantly researching, so I would imagine you've already looked this one over and have concluded something--though, after a search, I don't see any comments by you on it. If your time (and interest) allows, I'd like to know your thoughts and experience, if any.
Sorry, do not know about urea. Can you inlighten me

Travis

I did not like the supplement as well. I felt a little nausea this afternoon so did 6 drops of grapefruit seed extract in water. An hour later I was fine. The trick is to keep the oregano oil under the tongue even if it gets spicy. When enough salvia has built up...swallow. I actually get hot from it
But I'm telling you: cinnamaldehyde is more powerful than cavacrol and on par with citral—and its congeners—found in grapefruitseed extract and lemongrass oil. This had surprised me as I thought the pinenes would have come out on top, but it turns-out that the most powerful-tasting ones aren't actually the ones most powerful against microbes. I suppose one account of how these assays are conducted that some of this has to do with solubility, but I don't think cinnamon should be discounted due to the other molecular studies examining how it works.

I think just switching from eating the all-glucose starch to the 1∶1 fructose to glucose ratios found in fruit and honey is a good strategy. Many grains also have an extremely high glutamine∶Σ(AA) ratio and glutamine is an enzymatic precursor to chitin, along with glucose, so wheat and oats should be doubly-avoided. Corn and beans are less of an issue as they store extra nitrogen in their seeds as asparagine, but these two have also have a glucose-heavy carbohydrate ratio in addition to ω−6 fatty acids.

Travis

Hey Travis, do you have any thoughts on turmeric vs curcumin, or, maybe the correct question should be, is there a major difference? I don't like the way I feel on either, when taken as a straight supplement; so, I've been making home-made dark chocolate and adding it to that, along with anise, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, allspice, and nutmeg. I realize I'm overlapping some, with the allspice.
Turmeric is the primary plant source of curcumin, but a person can get a more concentrated dose through extracts and supplements. I suppose it depends on whether or not a person wants to use it as a food or a supplement, but as I really haven't bought any yet I can't share my experience. Curcumin really is surprisingly nontoxic and also appears to by a reactive nitrogen scavenger, making the turmeric root appear to be a good spice to have in the cabinet. I plan on buying some today and I'll note any changes that I observe after eating it; but as a root spice, I think we could expect other phytochemicals to be present (i.e. phytosterols).

Obi-wan

But I'm telling you: cinnamaldehyde is more powerful than cavacrol and on par with citral—and its congeners—found in grapefruitseed extract and lemongrass oil. This had surprised me as I thought the pinenes would have come out on top, but it turns-out that the most powerful-tasting ones aren't actually the ones most powerful against microbes. I suppose one account of how these assays are conducted that some of this has to do with solubility, but I don't think cinnamon should be discounted due to the other molecular studies examining how it works.

I think just switching from eating the all-glucose starch to the 1∶1 fructose to glucose ratios found in fruit and honey is a good strategy. Many grains also have an extremely high glutamine∶Σ(AA) ratio and glutamine is an enzymatic precursor to chitin, along with glucose, so wheat and oats should be doubly-avoided. Corn and beans are less of an issue as they store extra nitrogen in their seeds as asparagine, but these two have also have a glucose-heavy carbohydrate ratio in addition to ω−6 fatty acids.
That’s interesting that you mention grapefruit seed extract (GSE). I use it when I experience nausea. 6 drops in water. It gets rid of it quickly. Maybe I should do daily or try sublingual. I will have to get cinnamon for my morning coffee along with my cocoa powder

Obi-wan

@Travis, just did 6 drops of GSE sublingual (definitely not as spicy) and put cinnamon in my coffee. I knew GSE was good for bad bacteria. Did not know it was good for killing fungi

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I thought GSE was contaminated with Triclosan and thats why its so antibacterial?

Obi-wan

I have always used NutriBiotic , the original GSE which contains Citricidal. Always worked well for stomach aches.

Obi-wan

A long time promoter of GSE was Aubrey Hampton, the founder of Aubrey Organics.[4] Some marketers of GSE affirm this extract to be a safe, natural, and effective preservative.[5] This extract has been stated by some practitioners of alternative medicine to possess antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.[3] It has been recommended by some nutritionists for the treatment of candidiasis, earache, throat infections, and diarrhea.[3] GSE is promoted at health food shops and on the internet.[6][7]

There are conflicting scientific demonstrations of the efficacy of GSE.[1] Suspicions about the true nature of the active compounds in GSEs arose when synthetic additives were found in commercial products.[2] Suspected counterfeit grapefruit seed extracts were adulterated with synthetic preservatives.[8][9][10] When preservatives were not present in some of the extracts, laboratory tests found the natural extracts had no natural antimicrobial attributes of their own.[5] Some manufacturers of GSE have stated that their extract has compounds nearly identical to benzethonium chloride, but a 2001 study supervised by chemist G. Takeoka has documented that commercial GSE preparations contain the synthetic compound benzethonium chloride that could not have been made from GSE.[5]

Independent studies have shown some commercial preparations to contain the compound benzalkonium chloride (which is a synthetic antimicrobial commonly used in disinfectants and cleaning products), the related compound benzethonium chloride, the antibiotic triclosan, or the preservative methylparaben.[1][6][21] Some samples were shown to contain up to 22% benzalkonium chloride by weight, despite the known allergenicity[22] and toxicity[23] of the compound at higher doses.[6] These chemicals were not present in grapefruit seed extracts prepared in the laboratory, and GSE preparations without the contaminants were found to possess no detectable antimicrobial effect.[1] Although citrus seed extract is sold in health food markets,[6] there is no good evidence for any natural antimicrobial activity.[1][7 -All from Wikipedia.

Grapefruit can have a number of interactions with certain drugs, increasing the potency of many compounds,[38] including warfarin (coumadin).[39] Grapefruit has components that inhibit the CYP3A4 enzyme in the intestine.[38] Thus, it is this effect that increases the rate of absorption of several drugs.[40] There are concerns about the safety of ingesting synthetic preservatives found in grapefruit seed extract.[7]

might not work for me on a daily basis since I take Xtandi. Maybe better to stick with Oregano oil and cinnamon.

Obi-wan

So, let's take a look at diphenol hydroxybenzone. Why exactly do we want to avoid it?

The makers of GSE states that it's been extensively tested for toxicity and health effects and claim that it is safe. However, all of these studies only tested the effects when it was taken internally. When taken internally, chemicals have a chance to be metabolized and broken down by the body. However, when applied topically, they can be absorbed in the skin and enter the bloodstream in their whole form.

The problem that I see with diphenol hydroxybenzene is the fact that on a molecular level, it's full of benzene rings. The name "diphenol" means that there are two phenol groups. Phenol is a benzene ring with one hydrogen and one oxygen molecule. Chemicals with benzene rings are particularly worrisome in personal care products because once they enter the bloodstream they can mimic the hormone estrogen. [For a detailed explanation of this, check out my article on Japanese Honeysuckle Extract.] Estrogen is primarily made up of benzene rings, and our estrogen receptors are made to "fit" benzene rings. So, when a chemical with a benzene ring enters the body, it has the potential to lock up in the estrogen receptor and can stimulate it. Estrogen mimickers also have the potential to raise levels of estrogen by inhibiting the function of an enzyme called SULT1E1, that helps to remove estrogen from the body.

Looks like it is estrogenic

Last edited:

Obi-wan

Cinnamaldehyde is an organic compound with the formula C6H5CH=CHCHO. Occurring naturally as predominantly the trans (E) isomer, it gives cinnamon its flavor and odor.[1] It is a flavonoid that is naturally synthesized by the shikimate pathway.[2] This pale yellow, viscous liquid occurs in the bark of cinnamon trees and other species of the genus Cinnamomum. The essential oil of cinnamon bark is about 50% cinnamaldehyde.[3]

Cinnamaldehyde is also used as a fungicide.[17] Proven effective on over 40 different crops, cinnamaldehyde is typically applied to the root systems of plants. Its low toxicity and well-known properties make it ideal for agriculture. Cinnamaldehyde is an effective insecticide, and its scent is also known to repel animals, such as cats and dogs.[17] It has been tested as a safe and effective insecticide against mosquito larvae.[18] A concentration of 29 ppm of cinnamaldehyde kills half of Aedes aegypti mosquito larvae in 24 hours.[19] Trans-cinnamaldehyde works as a potent fumigant and practical repellant for adult mosquitos.[20]
-Wikipedia

Obi-wan

OK, GSE sublingual was a bad idea. Tongue is really sore now. I will still use GSE on occasional nausea

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Turmeric is the primary plant source of curcumin, but a person can get a more concentrated dose through extracts and supplements. I suppose it depends on whether or not a person wants to use it as a food or a supplement, but as I really haven't bought any yet I can't share my experience. Curcumin really is surprisingly nontoxic and also appears to by a reactive nitrogen scavenger, making the turmeric root appear to be a good spice to have in the cabinet. I plan on buying some today and I'll note any changes that I observe after eating it; but as a root spice, I think we could expect other phytochemicals to be present (i.e. phytosterols).
I appreciate the info, which has reminded me what I should already know--considering I do have both the extract and the spice in the 'ol spice cabinet. I've been adding it to dark chocolate as I've noted, which makes it palatable for me, considering I'm not a fan of the taste.

I've also taken note that it's a "reactive nitrogen scavenger", which you say is good for smokers. Would this be only for smokers who inhale? I have a little reward for myself, for when I feel it will not hinder my health: a new pipe, with various tobaccos. I don't want to act like I know what I'm talking about, because I don't; I've never smoked a pipe in my life--but have wanted to--and bought it when I thought my health had made a consistent turn for the better.

Last edited:
OP
Mossy

Mossy

I definitely will, when I can gather any kind of worthy thought on it myself. I do know this, that I always see it mentioned with regard to cancer treatment, and there's hardly a week I don't stumble upon it while researching other things. I've also had a kmud interview on in the background recently (while doing three other things) and Dr. Peat was talking positively about it--I just need to dig back in and get some specifics.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Cinnamaldehyde is an organic compound with the formula C6H5CH=CHCHO. Occurring naturally as predominantly the trans (E) isomer, it gives cinnamon its flavor and odor.[1] It is a flavonoid that is naturally synthesized by the shikimate pathway.[2] This pale yellow, viscous liquid occurs in the bark of cinnamon trees and other species of the genus Cinnamomum. The essential oil of cinnamon bark is about 50% cinnamaldehyde.[3]

Cinnamaldehyde is also used as a fungicide.[17] Proven effective on over 40 different crops, cinnamaldehyde is typically applied to the root systems of plants. Its low toxicity and well-known properties make it ideal for agriculture. Cinnamaldehyde is an effective insecticide, and its scent is also known to repel animals, such as cats and dogs.[17] It has been tested as a safe and effective insecticide against mosquito larvae.[18] A concentration of 29 ppm of cinnamaldehyde kills half of Aedes aegypti mosquito larvae in 24 hours.[19] Trans-cinnamaldehyde works as a potent fumigant and practical repellant for adult mosquitos.[20]
-Wikipedia
There must be something to the common saying, your body craves what it needs--I usually have a hankering for all kinds of spices. But, if I remember correctly, Ray is against some; I just forget the reasoning. Maybe it's just cayenne and black pepper he's against. Heck, too many bits and bytes in the gray matter--I may be relaying poor information (fake news?).

Travis

I appreciate the info, which has reminded me what I should already know--considering I do have both the extract and the spice in the 'ol spice cabinet. I've been adding it to dark chocolate as I've noted, which makes it palatable for me, considering I'm not a fan of the taste.

I've also taken note that it's a "reactive nitrogen scavenger", which you say is good for smokers. Would this be only for smokers who inhale? I have a little reward for myself, for when I feel it will not hinder my health: a new pipe, with various tobaccos. I don't want to act like I know what I'm talking about, because I don't; I've never smoked a pipe in my life--but have wanted to--and bought it when I thought my health had made a consistent turn for the better.
The turmeric is very addictive, and I'm using using to make kimchi using the remnants of the store-bought variety as a starter. This is excellent, but the kimchi always makes me feel a bit 'too good'—almost worthless—but certainly preferable to the high serotonin state. I think that γ-aminobutryic acid produced by Lactobacillus species is physiologically active, and also that it's no coincidence that the two 'nicest countries'—Sweden and South Korea—are the ones consuming most Lactobaccilus. The Netherlands leads the world in yogut consumption, and more distal areas of the Korean Peninsula consumes Lactobacillus-fermented cabbage by the boatload.

For those who have a dislike of foods foreign, and tend to mock them, I say this: Korean Kimchi is really no different than the Germanic sauerkraut, the only difference being that the former uses a different cabbage cultivar (Napa cabbage), is cut in squares and not strands, and is heavily spiced. Kimchi is essentially just spiced sauerkraut; and if you make it yourself, you choose the spices—and the cut!

I see no problem with making a sauerkraut-kimchi chimera, blurring the distinction between the two. Would Napa cabbage cut in strands yet with pepper seeds be considered kimchi, sauerkraut, or does it even matter? [Pick any name of your choosing! After all, you had make it.] Right now I'm making 'Indian kimchi,' similar to Korean kimchi but substituting the high-polyamine fish sauce with enough turmeric to stain the counter.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Hey Obi-Wan,
@theLaw just posted a response he got from Dr. Peat on urea. It's not too extensive of an answer, but Peat notes "it's very non-toxic", with regard to being used for cancer treatment:
I recently started experimenting with Urea after listening to you mention it on the Ask the Herb Doctor show.

You mentioned in that episode that some people might need 120G per day to reach the proper blood saturation.

If I were to start with a smaller dose, what symptoms/signs should I look for that I'm taking too much?
RP: The big doses were used for major brain injuries, heart failure, and cancer. It’s very non-toxic, but for minor problems a teaspoonful in a glass of juice twice a day is likely to be enough.

I know this is a very brief comment and very short of "enlightening", but thought it may be a motivator for you.

theLaw

I know this is a very brief comment and very short of "enlightening", but thought it may be a motivator for you.

My initial experience with 120G per day divided in 20G doses (this was the amount suggested by Peat in the ATHD Urea episode for proper saturation):

Low-level headaches after the first 24hrs.

The most rapid weight loss around my waist as anything I've used. Literally could see a difference each morning when I looked into the mirror. Also, very cloudy urine with urination every hour.

Unfortunately, the headaches were too much, so I discontinued the first test after a few days.

I'm currently using 10G several times per day, so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
OP
Mossy

Mossy

My initial experience with 120G per day divided in 20G doses (this was the amount suggested by Peat in the ATHD Urea episode for proper saturation):

Low-level headaches after the first 24hrs.

The most rapid weight loss around my waist as anything I've used. Literally could see a difference each morning when I looked into the mirror. Also, very cloudy urine with urination every hour.

Unfortunately, the headaches were too much, so I discontinued the first test after a few days.

I'm currently using 10G several times per day, so I'll see how it goes.
Great--appreciate you sharing your experience.

Yeah, frequent or constant headaches would not be fun.

Do you mind sharing whether you're taking it to combat a specific issue or is it more preventative/optimal health kind of a thing?