Vitamin C

griesburner

i am currently taking a bit extra vitamin c as acerola powder (its combined with maltodextrin). But not very much (1-2 gram powder = about 100-200mg vitamin c) as i find it a bit difficult to get even the RDA amount when eating my normal diet and i am not sure how much vitamin c is left in a packaged orange juice if its without added ascorbic acid.

But the biggest question regarding vitamin c to me is, as i heard it increases norepinephrine. Is this true? How can something that increases norepinephrine be heart healthy and lower blood pressure etc? i guess i have way roo much of this neurotransmitter and dont want to get it even higher.

InChristAlone

i am currently taking a bit extra vitamin c as acerola powder (its combined with maltodextrin). But not very much (1-2 gram powder = about 100-200mg vitamin c) as i find it a bit difficult to get even the RDA amount when eating my normal diet and i am not sure how much vitamin c is left in a packaged orange juice if its without added ascorbic acid.

But the biggest question regarding vitamin c to me is, as i heard it increases norepinephrine. Is this true? How can something that increases norepinephrine be heart healthy and lower blood pressure etc? i guess i have way roo much of this neurotransmitter and dont want to get it even higher.
I don't know how it could cause more than what you need, my blood pressure is normal and it hasn't changed at all in the 1.5 yrs I've been taking it.

sweetpeat

That's pretty difficult. I started out not liking sour at all, but clearly needing it. Now I can down 4 grams in 2 oz of water right in the morning like it's nothing.
Do you do once-a-day dosing? I had it in my head that it's best to spread it out over the day, maybe because it's water soluble? But perhaps that's bad information... Once a day would certainly be more convenient.

InChristAlone

Do you do once-a-day dosing? I had it in my head that it's best to spread it out over the day, maybe because it's water soluble? But perhaps that's bad information... Once a day would certainly be more convenient.
It is best spread out, but I didn't feel like putting it in capsules to save my teeth... then I never remember to have a second dose around lunchtime, which is probably best.

sweetpeat

It is best spread out, but I didn't feel like putting it in capsules to save my teeth... then I never remember to have a second dose around lunchtime, which is probably best.
Ok, thanks. I agree making capsules is a bit of a hassle. I'm currently doing 1gram twice a day. I drop a 1gram-scoopful of the powder on the back of my tongue, then wash it down with water or juice to keep it from touching my teeth.

B

Braveheart

Generative of the Energies:
"Vitamin C in excess can contribute to the toxicity of iron, but in the right amounts, vitamin C is metabolically linked with vitamin E in protecting against the toxic free radicals produced by iron."
What is vitamin c in excess?

Amazoniac

"It might be argued that all substances that have to do with energy production and energy distribution are of sugar origin, though greatly modified, or carry sugar in their structures. Among them ascorbic acid deserves a word. It is definitely of sugar origin, derived by oxidation of two carbon atoms. The reduced form carries an unsaturated union between the second and third carbon atoms. The oxidized form carries a chain of three keto groups, two of them hydrated. It is able therefore to carry an oxidation chain reaction, and has definite photochemic properties. Since it is so easily destructible it is able to serve in a minor way in the immunity against infection and against cancer as described below, and the reason for the feebleness of ascorbic acid as compared with each of the various Ketenones we use for this purpose is observable on comparison. These reagents were put into use a quarter of a century ago. It is, therefore, a matter of greatest satisfaction that the chemistry of vitamin C, so recently contributed, is confirmatory to our thesis."

LUH 3417

This is a really great video presentation on Ascorbate and heavy metals by Dr. Russell Jaffe:
"So the baseline from our point of view is about two grams a day just to keep even with the toxic metal exchange and more if you want to mobilize the prior burden that's been bio accumulated. This is all based on half-life it is not important how much of a nutrient you give it is important what the concentration or level of that is in the cells and because ascorbate in healthy people has a half-life of about 30 days and in unhealthy people has a half-life of about thirty minutes it has the widest variance of half-life of any molecule in biology because it is also essential for more reactions than any other molecule in biology. So while half-life is always important it is particularly important with the ascorbate and we achieve the same concentration when we give more ascorbate to achieve say the predictive dose because of that short half-life. So you may need 10 grams or 50 grams or a 100 grams of ascorbate to achieve the same concentration in the cell. In one case your half-life might be 15 days in another case your half-life might be an hour or two and then in the extreme cases even more variance so the consumption rate which is related to this half-life gives us a good enough for clinical ofr government work approximation of the daily need to achieve the same cell plasma level. And I do point out that if someone is taking a large amount of ascorbate because they have a lot of oxidative stress and toxic minerals in their body it is completely appropriate for them to take the amount they need based on calibration or your clinical experience because what you want is the concentration in the cell and if you're using up half in 30 minutes and another half in another 30 minutes you will have used 75% of what you had an hour ago in an hour, but if you have a 30 day half-life you can go for a day or two and you'll barely notice the difference. So really healthy people may only need a few grams of the ascorbate a day and finding really healthy people was so hard that when you.....?... a blessed memory did it in Wichita Kansas many years ago in a year of advertising they were not able to find more than 25 people in Wichita Kansas who were A.) healthy- that is asymptomatic by Cornell Medical index and B.) would talk to them. Now there may have been other healthy people in Wichita who just didn't respond but in terms of those who were willing to respond finding healthy people is roughly as common as finding hen's teeth."

-He says ~5% people flush at less than 4 grams and he considers this the healthy population (many would refute this claim in cases of serious gut problems)
-Ascorbate synergists: Magnesium, zinc, reduce metabolic acidosis to reduce side effects, sulfur sources, selenomethionine

I think this is helpful for those who fall in the less than healthy population (and you will know based on your BT).

In regards to 5% flushing under 4 grams...does that mean if I can handle up to 10g with no GI distress that something is wrong with me?

InChristAlone

In regards to 5% flushing under 4 grams...does that mean if I can handle up to 10g with no GI distress that something is wrong with me?
No not necessarily. You just have to figure out your normal, as you get healthier it could go down. Or not. I flush on 8 grams taken within 10 minutes. But it changes. I've been able to take 12-15 grams over the course of an hr and not flush and then I know my bowels are slow or I'm dealing with stress, but that's just my theory. Apparently some people can tolerate a lot and they're fine and others are not so good and can only tolerate 500 milligrams.

LUH 3417

No not necessarily. You just have to figure out your normal, as you get healthier it could go down. Or not. I flush on 8 grams taken within 10 minutes. But it changes. I've been able to take 12-15 grams over the course of an hr and not flush and then I know my bowels are slow or I'm dealing with stress, but that's just my theory. Apparently some people can tolerate a lot and they're fine and others are not so good and can only tolerate 500 milligrams.
Interesting thank you. I’ve taken over 10k ina day and not flushed but was very curious as to what it meant.

yerrag

Apparently some people can tolerate a lot and they're fine and others are not so good and can only tolerate 500 milligrams.

This statement doesn't seem consistent with the idea that the sicker a person, the more he can tolerate vitamin C without flushing.

Some people already have gut issues, and cannot take plenty of ascorbic acid. It has been suggested that people should try to fix their gut issues.

If the stomach can take it, it is preferable to take ascorbic acid instead of the buffered ascorbates as there are two hydrogen ions available in ascorbic acid, whereas there's only one in the buffered ascorbates.

Experiencing gut issues is separate from flushing. If you have gut issues with ascrobic acid, then you have no choice but to take the buffered ascorbates. Once you are able to take that form of ascorbate, you intake that particular form of ascorbate. You then determine how much ascorbate you can take before you flush. Flush means watery discharge, not diarrhea, from the anus.

I take 1/4 tsp of ascorbic acid dissolved in 1/4 cup of water every half hour until my gut rumbles and I flush. I then add up the total amount of ascorbic acid (or buffered ascorbate) and then multiply this amount by 3/4. This would be my daily intake of the ascorbate (ascorbic acid is hydrogen ascorbate).

The more sick a person is, the more his daily intake needed of ascorbate.

InChristAlone

This statement doesn't seem consistent with the idea that the sicker a person, the more he can tolerate vitamin C without flushing.

Some people already have gut issues, and cannot take plenty of ascorbic acid. It has been suggested that people should try to fix their gut issues.

If the stomach can take it, it is preferable to take ascorbic acid instead of the buffered ascorbates as there are two hydrogen ions available in ascorbic acid, whereas there's only one in the buffered ascorbates.

Experiencing gut issues is separate from flushing. If you have gut issues with ascrobic acid, then you have no choice but to take the buffered ascorbates. Once you are able to take that form of ascorbate, you intake that particular form of ascorbate. You then determine how much ascorbate you can take before you flush. Flush means watery discharge, not diarrhea, from the anus.

I take 1/4 tsp of ascorbic acid dissolved in 1/4 cup of water every half hour until my gut rumbles and I flush. I then add up the total amount of ascorbic acid (or buffered ascorbate) and then multiply this amount by 3/4. This would be my daily intake of the ascorbate (ascorbic acid is hydrogen ascorbate).

The more sick a person is, the more his daily intake needed of ascorbate.
I know of a few cases where they just require a lot of C in a day, they aren't necessarily sick. But yes one could say they have a lot of oxidative stress going on. My tolerance went down as I got better. But it's still in the healthy range of 4-8 grams.

yerrag

I know of a few cases where they just require a lot of C in a day, they aren't necessarily sick. But yes one could say they have a lot of oxidative stress going on. My tolerance went down as I got better. But it's still in the healthy range of 4-8 grams.

I haven't been able to personally observe other people relative to their vitamin-C flush requirements and their state of health other than myself, so I'm just basing it on what Cathcart writes.

And yes, people could appear relatively healthy bit there could still be oxidative stresses beneath the surface we don't see. There are many cases of seemingly healthy people suddenly diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

InChristAlone

I haven't been able to personally observe other people relative to their vitamin-C flush requirements and their state of health other than myself, so I'm just basing it on what Cathcart writes.

And yes, people could appear relatively healthy bit there could still be oxidative stresses beneath the surface we don't see. There are many cases of seemingly healthy people suddenly diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.
Yeah for sure, cancer can be brewing below the surface for a decade before revealing itself. Another reason to keep C high! I'd rather deal with possible higher requirements for certain minerals than die of terrible diseases.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals