Are You Suffering Hay Fever? What Are You Doing For It?

Every year I get it for about 6 weeks starting now. I'm in the Northern Hemisphere so this is spring.

I have tried lots of things but what works and is adequate is benedryl.

Either way, with the hay fever, I get a tired feeling and feel like I have a cold. I sleep more.

With the benedryl, I am a little tired, but I don't feel as sick, and I don't just sneeze and sneeze and sneeze which is what happens without it.

I have tried bee pollen, theanine, quercetin and many other things, plus the "new" antihistamines (which I no longer take and don't believe are safe). The benedryl is the only thing that actually works. I am taking about 2 per day.

BrianF

OK - this is how I slayed the beast that is Hay Fever.

Massive dose Vitamin C.

I buy a huge jar of vitamin c tablets - 1000mg from Holland & Barret (though I have bee informed that the body can only metablolise 500 mg at a time, never mind, they are usually cheap at this time of year) and I dose as follows:

Begin - take around 5- 6 tablets through the day until saturation point - normally 4-5 days. The length of time will be down to how low your vitamin c levels are.
You will know when this is because your gut will rumble and you will feel like you ate bad prawns (do not underestimate how bad this might be. Ascorbic acid is given to patients prior to a colonoscopy so they literally clear their bowels out prior to the procedure).

Then maintain the does of around 2 - 3 tablets a day.

I have suffered from hay fever since I was 19 until I started this 3 years ago when I was 42. I wish I knew this back then.

Try it out, its not too expensive and you don't have much to lose.

Wagner83

OK - this is how I slayed the beast that is Hay Fever.

Massive dose Vitamin C.

I buy a huge jar of vitamin c tablets - 1000mg from Holland & Barret (though I have bee informed that the body can only metablolise 500 mg at a time, never mind, they are usually cheap at this time of year) and I dose as follows:

Begin - take around 5- 6 tablets through the day until saturation point - normally 4-5 days. The length of time will be down to how low your vitamin c levels are.
You will know when this is because your gut will rumble and you will feel like you ate bad prawns (do not underestimate how bad this might be. Ascorbic acid is given to patients prior to a colonoscopy so they literally clear their bowels out prior to the procedure).

Then maintain the does of around 2 - 3 tablets a day.

I have suffered from hay fever since I was 19 until I started this 3 years ago when I was 42. I wish I knew this back then.

Try it out, its not too expensive and you don't have much to lose.
So does it work by cleaning your bowels regularly?

For me dairy and maybe other things like certain whole fruits make things much worse. See also the "aspirin and asthma" thread, I got some pretty bad reactions on it. Perhaps bromelain would help.

BrianF

No, that's merely a side-effect of it. And a signal that you have saturation levels in your body. The Vit-C has some type of strong anti-histamine effect without drowsiness.

Glassy

Cypro seems to help a bit but some nights just suck. I’ve been avoiding using the normal hay fever meds and there’s been a few nights where I wish I had some on hand.

If you’re in need of some temporary relief, I’ve found 2 or 3 controlled pauses insanely effective for opening the nasal passages from hay fever. The only problem is that it doesn’t last once you start to dose off and return to normal breathing. Sometimes it’s nice just to be able to breath normally for a little bit.

LeeLemonoil

Eating Orange peels might reduce Histamine burden systemically as an adjuvant - we discussed recent study on OP reducing histamine here recently

Jamo77

I use cromolyn sodium spray for itchy eyes and nose. Only thing that works for me.

T

tca300

After starches were eliminated from my diet my terrible spring/summer and cat allergies disappeared. Its been years since I last reacted.

T

tca300

@tca300 what does your diet consist of?
For 99% of the time when my allergies were gone it was fruit juice, milk, sometimes cheese, gelatin, coffee, and occasional eggs, liver and oysters. But I ate those things exclusively. I never had days where I ate other typical SAD foods, or even "heart healthy" complex carbohydrates. I think that is why I have gotten the results I have and why most others here haven't.

Jamo77

Thank-you tca! I will try restricting to those items - pretty close to it now but with some root veggies and meat.

@ecstatichamster I can't overstate how much cromolyn salt spray has helped me - it just seems to totally switch off nasal allergies for me. Given it is not that well known I must assume others don't typically get what I get from it.

OP
ecstatichamster
Thank-you tca! I will try restricting to those items - pretty close to it now but with some root veggies and meat.

@ecstatichamster I can't overstate how much cromolyn salt spray has helped me - it just seems to totally switch off nasal allergies for me. Given it is not that well known I must assume others don't typically get what I get from it.

Yeah I've used cromolyn in the distant past for asthma in the distant past.

I'm going to try it. Thank you.

Just going through absolute awful time here. I am trying high dose ascorbic acid but it isn't helping much, along with diphenhydramine which helps a little.

OP
ecstatichamster
worst season ever. Nothing is really helping except doing Buteyko exercises, the newer generation of antihistamine helps a bit, cromolyn sodium maybe helps a bit, but it's misery. Ugh.

Wagner83

worst season ever. Nothing is really helping except doing Buteyko exercises, the newer generation of antihistamine helps a bit, cromolyn sodium maybe helps a bit, but it's misery. Ugh.
What is your diet like these days? Isn't it the first year you're doing a diet based on whole fruits? Did you check cronometer? I think some fruits are pretty high in histamine, some type of dairy may make things worse, if you have tongue coating (and maybe if you haven't) methylene blue and other anti-fungal supplements (metergoline?) may help, if you tolerate mb that is. I had issues from aspirin, it made breathing issues a lot worse (there's a thread on it). You could try replacing OJ with crystal clear apple juice and forget about the aspirin. I remember suffering terribly from allergies but since working on my diet after finding these forums things have improved massively.

PeatBull

Spring is coming bois. How you deal with hay fever? I get 4-6 really bad weeks, once i got to the point where I couldn’t breathe. Pharma antihistamines usually help, but which is the main couse of this desease?

OP
ecstatichamster
I’m using rhinocort and ketotifen eye drops. Not the greatest but I can’t find anything else that works.

BrianF

Spring is coming bois. How you deal with hay fever? I get 4-6 really bad weeks, once i got to the point where I couldn’t breathe. Pharma antihistamines usually help, but which is the main couse of this desease?
I mega dose vitamin c. 5-6000mg per day until i reach saturation. I know when i reach that point because my bowels tell me and i need to sit on the tiolet fir a few hours (In order to clear the colon for a colonoscopy the patient is given a mega dose of ascorbic acid).

I then stop taking the vitamin c for a day or two and then i use a maintenance dose of 1000-2000 a day.

This has proven very, very effective for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals